Removing DRM May Reduce Piracy - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-11-2011, 06:51 PM
chipvideo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,793
Default Removing DRM May Reduce Piracy

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/pir...e-piracy-25319

Quote:
joint study by Rice University and Duke University challenges the idea that music digital rights management, or DRM, reduces piracy, instead suggesting that DRM has a negative impact on legal users who have no intention of doing anything illegal.

“In many cases, DRM restrictions prevent legal users from doing something as normal as making backup copies of their music,” said Dinah Vernik, assistant professor of marketing at Rice's Jones Graduate School of Business. “Because of these inconveniences, some consumers choose to pirate.”

The study “used analytical modeling to examine how piracy is influenced by the presence or absence of DRM restrictions” and concluded that “only the legal users pay the price and suffer from the restrictions. Illegal users are not affected because the pirated product does not have DRM restrictions.”

The study also concludes that piracy can decrease — at least with music — when a company allows restriction-free downloading.

“Removal of these restrictions makes the product more convenient to use and intensifies competition with the traditional format (CDs), which has no DRM restrictions,” Vernik said. “This increased competition results in decreased prices for both downloadable and CD music and makes it more likely that consumers will move from stealing music to buying legal downloads.”

The study did not address DRM with video content.
I will be taking a dirt nap by the time the studios get off their ass and realize this.

I expect them to do nothing, because IMO they are boneheads.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-11-2011, 06:55 PM
vikingfan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,947
Default

Quote:
The study did not address DRM with video content.
So this thread belongs here how?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-11-2011, 07:01 PM
chipvideo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingfan View Post
So this thread belongs here how?
Figure it out.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-11-2011, 07:04 PM
vikingfan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipvideo View Post
Figure it out.
Study didn't address video, nothing to figure out.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-11-2011, 07:34 PM
chipvideo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,793
Default

Talking about DRM. Something home video has lots of. Lots of people on here complain about lots of piracy.

It also came from Kosty's favorite website. Home Media Magazine.

If you dont like it take it up with the mods.

P.S. you sound like a studio exec to me.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Kosty's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 28,296
Default

I'm with chippy on this one.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-12-2011, 12:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,924
Default

Quote:
“Removal of these restrictions makes the product more convenient to use and intensifies competition with the traditional format (CDs), which has no DRM restrictions,” Vernik said. “This increased competition results in decreased prices for both downloadable and CD music and makes it more likely that consumers will move from stealing music to buying legal downloads.”
Umm.. what? theyre using the music industry as an example where piracy isnt a problem?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-12-2011, 01:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,924
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipvideo View Post
Talking about DRM. Something home video has lots of. Lots of people on here complain about lots of piracy.

It also came from Kosty's favorite website. Home Media Magazine.

If you dont like it take it up with the mods.

P.S. you sound like a studio exec to me.
The context is different.
If were talking about music, DRM resulted in rootkits, itunes only playing on your ipod, and even lower quality sound. Of course doing away with those resulted in better digital sales.
In games youre looking at limited installs, limited logins, always-on internet requirement.
Blu ray and DVD dont really have these problems. They restrict ripping which sucks but Im not sure if that really affects sales.
UV... might have drm problems. Who knows.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-12-2011, 02:17 PM
MrAngles's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elee s View Post
The context is different.
If were talking about music, DRM resulted in rootkits, itunes only playing on your ipod, and even lower quality sound. Of course doing away with those resulted in better digital sales.
In games youre looking at limited installs, limited logins, always-on internet requirement.
Blu ray and DVD dont really have these problems. They restrict ripping which sucks but Im not sure if that really affects sales.
UV... might have drm problems. Who knows.
I think the concerns aren't about physical media, which play on universal disc players, but about digital video files, which have the same problems that DRMed digital audio files have.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-12-2011, 02:20 PM
bfellow's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,753
Default

Digital copy has a time limit before you can't use them anymore. The older Blu-Ray players were very sensitive to BD+ and AACS changes (i.e. you couldn't play it without a firmware update)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
360 Premium/ELite GTA IV Owners, will you install to reduce load times? SoylentGreen Gaming Smackdown 100 04-25-2008 10:32 AM
Analyst: MS must reduce price of 360 to slow PS3's momentum ivan872007 Gaming Smackdown 36 03-14-2008 01:21 PM
Disney and Sony removing DRM info on Wikipedia??? RoadLizard High Definition Smackdown 21 08-17-2007 08:20 PM
SCEA CEO Says PS3 Will be "Difficult to Cost Reduce" Crypter Gaming Smackdown 75 01-28-2007 11:03 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off