Best Buy’s CinemaNow introduces availability of 1080p films with Intel Insider tech. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Arrow Best Buy’s CinemaNow introduces availability of 1080p films with Intel Insider tech.

Best Buy’s CinemaNow introduces availability of 1080p films with Intel Insider technology.

10:51 PM PDT 10/6/2011 by Carolyn Giardina

Quote:
Best Buy’s CinemaNow has introduced availability of 1080p HD movies from Fox and Warner Bros. on PCs with Intel Insider technology.

Intel Insider is a hardware-based security technology in second-generation Intel Core processors, which is the fastest-shipping Intel product with more than 75 million units shipped to date.

“CinemaNow and Intel are making secure HD content distribution a reality on the personal computer,” said Thomas Gewecke, president of Warner Bros. Digital Distribution, in a statement.

Said Mike Dunn, worldwide president at 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment: “The partnership with Intel and Best Buy's CinemaNow to bring HD digital downloads of our movies to the PC will expand our reach to millions of devices in the U.S. and potentially more around the world.”

Until now, only standard-definition movies were available from CinemaNow on the PC.

CinemaNow offers a catalog of an estimated 15,000 movies and TV programs.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...er-bros-245250
Old 10-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Pointless DRM effort and expense when each and every blu-ray can be found in DRM-free MKV format on the internet anyways.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:12 PM

What the hell useful is 1080 p when its limited to the display size of a PC or laptop?

Unless you feed it to a HDTV which is easier to do now a days with some solutions but its still a PITA for most people.

When the Blu-ray or Netflix or Amazon or Hulu or Vudu or other streaming option to the HDTV is easier?

Seems like a good enhancement for people already using or considering the service but being limited to PCs is limiting.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
What the hell useful is 1080 p when its limited to the display size of a PC or laptop?

Unless you feed it to a HDTV which is easier to do now a days with some solutions but its still a PITA for most people.

When the Blu-ray or Netflix or Amazon or Hulu or Vudu or other streaming option to the HDTV is easier?

Seems like a good enhancement for people already using or considering the service but being limited to PCs is limiting.
Maybe for HTPC owners? LOL, I don't really see this being a big deal either. And they will most likely charge you more for HD (no mention of price in the article).
Old 10-07-2011, 06:10 PM

I think with Windows 8 on the horizon and streaming PC content to a TV wirelessly now available this is a good move for the future. CinemaNow I believe has been around for quite a while already so they are obviously making a go of it further with this new announcement rather than shutting the doors.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC35 View Post
I think with Windows 8 on the horizon and streaming PC content to a TV wirelessly now available this is a good move for the future. CinemaNow I believe has been around for quite a while already so they are obviously making a go of it further with this new announcement rather than shutting the doors.
I saw need Sony apps for its new tablet that enabled easy streaming to HDTVs as well from the cloud.

But this is a geeky PITA for most normal people.

But any move to a standard of 1080p streaming is welcome by me and competition and marketing of 1080p is nothing but a good thing even if its embryonic in its current effect.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
It's quite useful. People typically sit only a couple of feet away from their monitor, and even on a small display, detail is noticeable when you are that close.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
It's quite useful. People typically sit only a couple of feet away from their monitor, and even on a small display, detail is noticeable when you are that close.
Instead of using a PC monitor, just use an HDTV.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:41 PM

I did the 3.73 update on my PS3 yesterday. I don't know if this was part of it, but I noticed the CinemaNow app is now available. So it's good to get another streaming option on there.

I'm also glad they have upgraded their choices and offering up new releases. A few months back, I had gotten a $20 CinemaNow gift card by purchasing a Panasonic player. From what I recall, their title selection was garbage, but I'll use the gc now since they have widened their offerings.

There's another app called "Video Unlimited" available. It looks like Sony's new digital store.