POTC 28 day DVD delay enticing retailers to split combo pack to sell discs separately - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-07-2011, 10:50 AM

Default POTC 28 day DVD delay enticing retailers to split combo pack to sell discs separately

Don't know how widespread this may end up being but this site is selling the Blu for $10. It's one way of getting the DVD on street date without having to buy the BD.

Finally there is a compelling reason to split up combo packs and sell them separately, or at least give away one copy or the other to family or friends. I wonder how much of an efect this will have on sales

http://www.familyvideo.com/catalog/p...ucts_id=374713
Old 10-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Nice deal for mom and pop rentailers - go to Best Buy or Walmart, buy 10 BD combos and presto - they now have 10 of each format so they can service 20 customers.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Blu-ray Disc (no DVD) Description

From Disney and Producer Jerry Bruckheimer come all the fun, epic adventure and humor that ignited the original. Johnny Depp returns as Captain Jack Sparrow in PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES. A tale of truth, betrayal, youth, demise -- and mermaids! When Jack crosses paths with a woman from his past (Penelope Cruz), he's not sure if it's love, or if she's a ruthless con artist using him to find the fabled Fountain of Youth. Forced aboard the ship of the most feared pirate ever, Jack doesn't know whom to fear more -- Blackbeard (Ian McShane) or the woman from his past. Directed by Rob Marshall, it's filled with eye-popping action, mystery and all-out wit. Complete with a bounty of bonus features, this is one thrilling journey you won't want to end.

Buy "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" on Blu-ray - UNUSED, LIKE NEW in Original Packaging (no DVD) Only $9.95 While quantities last!

Note from Family Video:
Wondering why we can sell this HOT Blu-ray for ONLY $9.95? We need tons of DVDs for our in-store customers, but because Disney is only selling the Blu-ray/DVD Combo packs and DELAYING the DVD release, Disney is forcing us to purchase tons of Blu-ray/DVD Combo packs. This means we have 15,000 UNUSED, LIKE NEW Blu-rays of "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" in their original packaging and available now to ship on or by street date. No minimum or maximum per order. Our over-purchase means SAVINGS FOR you!

That's interesting.

Here is a smaller rental chain that is saying that they cannot get DVD only copies for rental so they are forced to buy from Disney Blu-ray+DVD combo packs. So they are selling off the Blu-ray Disc side of the combo pack as they are going to use the DVD side to meet rental demand and the Blu-ray side is excess inventory they can profit off more by selling than renting. Sounds like a good move by them and a great deal for 15,000 consumers who only want the Blu-ray side.

http://www.familyvideo.com/catalog/p...s&siteid=54264

They anticipate having more DVD rental demand than Blu-ray rental demand and they are selling off the excess Blu-ray side for $9.95 which they can do under the first sale doctrine since they own the physical product and later they will sell off the DVD side separately after the rental surge subsides.

Sounds like smart business to me for some rental outlets that do not have direct arrangements with the studios for rental agreements or cost sharing.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Don't know how widespread this may end up being but this site is selling the Blu for $10. It's one way of getting the DVD on street date without having to buy the BD.

Finally there is a compelling reason to split up combo packs and sell them separately, or at least give away one copy or the other to family or friends. I wonder how much of an efect this will have on sales

http://www.familyvideo.com/catalog/p...ucts_id=374713
I already mentioned in in the sales thread.

Seems like a nice way to do it for mom and pop retailers who will have more DVD rental demand than Blu-ray rental demand and selling the Blu-ray Disc in the package allows them to recover some cost.

But even if a lot of small rental or mom and pop rental chains did that its hardly going to make much of a dent in the overall numbers.

I do not know if Family Video is covered in the Nielsen Videoscan first alert capture, but I would assume that they are since they have a robust ecommerce site so those sales might be actually incorporated in the overall sales statistics anyway as a new sku.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:45 PM

Not a bad price. If I didn't already have it in steelbook I would have bought it.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:38 PM

Well, I went ahead and ordered a copy on Blu-Ray for $12 (that includes the shipping) in the original packaging. I was going to rent this first, but I own the other three and wanted to complete the collection.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:47 PM

Good for you, unfortunately for me, it's not a complete collection if it's missing the DVD, despite the fact that the disc will never even be coming out of the case.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAngles View Post
Good for you, unfortunately for me, it's not a complete collection if it's missing the DVD, despite the fact that the disc will never even be coming out of the case.
Well the POTC movies may not have the best plot/storylines, but they are some of the best looking and sounding movies on Blu-Ray. And yeah, the DVD would not have seen the light of day so I may be looking more and more to FamilyVideo for these types of releases. Win win.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:37 PM

I have so many DVDs and digital copies that I wish I could sell, but my OCD won't let me.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:03 PM

Such BS that a mom and pop shop has to do this kind of a tactic just to try and survive! WTH are the studios thinking!!! Why are they still doing this ridiculous stunt anyway?