Universal to Offer 'Tower Heist' on Early VOD for $59.99 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-06-2011, 12:31 AM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Arrow Universal to Offer 'Tower Heist' on Early VOD for $59.99

Universal to Offer 'Tower Heist' on Early VOD for $59.99

Quote:
Comcast customers in Portland and Atlanta can watch the Ben Stiller-Eddie Murphy-Matthew Broderick action comedy in their homes only three weeks after its theatrical debut.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-murphy-244601
Old 10-06-2011, 12:31 AM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

So $29.99 for a Premium VOD 60 days after a movie is released in theaters hasn't worked - Universal thinks that doubling the cost to the consumer and shortening the availability will?
Old 10-06-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
So $29.99 for a Premium VOD 60 days after a movie is released in theaters hasn't worked - Universal thinks that doubling the cost to the consumer and shortening the availability will?
Hahaha nope! Won't work. At least I don't think so. Hell maybe for a family and friends movie night it's cool. 59 bucks for everyone. But I can't see this doing the volumes they might hope for. It's another lets try this, lets try that.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:33 AM

I believe this qualifies unequivocally as grasping at straws. Studio execs have reached the point where they're literally throwing crap at the wall and hoping that something sticks.

Not that I blame them for trying new things, but this is *not* the kind of innovative business strategy that studios need to be putting into effect.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnerd View Post
I believe this qualifies unequivocally as grasping at straws. Studio execs have reached the point where they're literally throwing crap at the wall and hoping that something sticks.

Not that I blame them for trying new things, but this is *not* the kind of innovative business strategy that studios need to be putting into effect.
I agree with you here. I don't blame them for trying new things either, but they have to put some thought into this and maybe ask some consumers what would bring them back to purchasing home media. After the last debacle of making a HD format and expecting nothing more than complimentary consumer penetration, they need to wake up.
IMO, this will not work.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:56 AM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Third-Largest US Theater Chain Cinemark Refuses To Play ‘Tower Heist’ as Result of Early VOD Plan

Quote:
Universal had to know that exhibitors would show some strong resistance to the studio’s plan to release Brett Ratner‘s film Tower Heist On Demand only three weeks after it bows in theaters. That’s even with the VOD plan going into effect in only two markets (Atlanta and Portland, OR) and for the family-unfriendly price of $59.99.

The response of one theater chain has been intense, and more than a little bit knee-jerk. Cinemark, the third-largest theatrical chain in the US, says it will not program Tower Heist in any of its 300 theaters if Universal goes forward with the early premium VOD plan.
http://www.slashfilm.com/3rdlargest-...arly-vod-plan/
Old 10-07-2011, 01:07 AM

What ever happened to the idea of watching a movie in the theater.. instant $5-10 off when the DVD comes out.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Third-Largest US Theater Chain Cinemark Refuses To Play ‘Tower Heist’ as Result of Early VOD Plan

http://www.slashfilm.com/3rdlargest-...arly-vod-plan/
This should get interesting.. $59 rentals are a terrible idea to begin with, this is just icing on the cake..
Old 10-07-2011, 01:38 AM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
This should get interesting.. $59 rentals are a terrible idea to begin with, this is just icing on the cake..
That it should. Universal is in for a rude awakening with this crazy scheme of theirs.

The studios are having a very hard time adjusting to the new consumer - who wants his entertainment on the cheap.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:51 AM

the movie is gonna bomb at the box office to boot, it looks terrible