Disney to Re-Release Four Animated Hits in 3-D After ‘Lion King’ Success - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-04-2011, 07:44 PM

Default Disney to Re-Release Four Animated Hits in 3-D After ‘Lion King’ Success

Quote:
Walt Disney Co. (DIS), which generated more than $79 million in U.S. theaters after converting “The Lion King” to 3-D, will re-release four other animated features in the format.

“Beauty and the Beast” will be reissued on Jan. 13 next year, followed by “Finding Nemo” on Sept. 14, the Burbank, California-based company said today in an e-mail. “Monsters Inc.” will be reissued in January 2013, and “The Little Mermaid” will follow in September of that year.

“This is just pure gravy for Disney,” said Wade Holden, an analyst with the consulting firm SNL Kagan in Monterey, California. “Disney puts their films back in their vault, and then re-issues them a few years later for the next generation anyway.”

The 3-D conversions also help DVD sales by elevating the profile of the films, Holden added. Disney released “The Lion King” on DVD and Blu-Ray today. The three-dimensional version of the film opened in theaters on Sept. 16.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...g-success.html
Ya gotta love it.

James Cameron and George Lucas gotta be chuckling to themselves and perhaps breathing a sigh of relief as they prepare Titanic and Star Wars for re-release in 3D next year as the gravy train of 3D re-releases continues to gather steam. :money2:

What do you guys think? Can anything de-rail that 3D conversion choo choo gravy train?
Old 10-04-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
Ya gotta love it.

James Cameron and George Lucas gotta be chuckling to themselves and perhaps breathing a sigh of relief as they prepare Titanic and Star Wars for re-release in 3D next year as the gravy train of 3D re-releases continues to gather steam. :money2:

What do you guys think? Can anything de-rail that 3D conversion choo choo gravy train?
I find it ironic how you are always ripping on animated Hollywood movies then post this...

Personally, I think this is great news for Blu. I will buy all the above and should have a 3D projector within 6 months. Leaning towards the JVC RS45 but nit sure if it will have enough lumens for a 125" screen.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
I find it ironic how you are always ripping on animated Hollywood movies then post this...

Personally, I think this is great news for Blu. I will buy all the above and should have a 3D projector within 6 months. Leaning towards the JVC RS45 but nit sure if it will have enough lumens for a 125" screen.

You should be fine. That's a huge screen and of course its not going to be as bright as a smaller 100 inch screen but the JVC front projectors will do better than their advertised specs for any screen size because of their true native black levels and high native contrast without a dynamic iris. Any 3D capable one will actually outperform its price class for 2D performance as well. JVC more than most.

All the JVC front projectors have a huge advantage for native black levels based on their DILA technology. Those deep inky black levels and extremely high native contrast make the relative brightness on the screen seem to be even brighter no matter what the measured lumens are.

JVC front projectors do not use a dynamic iris which has an effect of reducing lumens on the screen as the bulb and brightness is effectively being 100% used all the time in their D-ILA technology.

For the specs the JVC projectors will just seem brighter for both 2D and 3D and in any case the lumens coming off the screen even with a huge 125 inch screen is likely to still be far better than what you are seeing in any theater now a days. Plus with active shutter technology and fast switching for the JVC 3D glasses the image will always be brighter anyway with active shutter than passive.

Even if the 3D would be dimmer than 2D any 3D projector that is capable of driving any passable 3D image is going to have brighter and more capable 2D performance for its class.

For the money the JVC projectors are going to look relatively brighter on any size screen and although 125 inch is huge its probably going to be looking better than most any thing else you can but at that price point and still better than most any cinema as well.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:06 AM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
You should be fine. That's a huge screen and of course its not going to be as bright as a smaller 100 inch screen but the JVC front projectors will do better than their advertised specs for any screen size because of their true native black levels and high native contrast without a dynamic iris. Any 3D capable one will actually outperform its price class for 2D performance as well. JVC more than most.

All the JVC front projectors have a huge advantage for native black levels based on their DILA technology. Those deep inky black levels and extremely high native contrast make the relative brightness on the screen seem to be even brighter no matter what the measured lumens are.

JVC front projectors do not use a dynamic iris which has an effect of reducing lumens on the screen as the bulb and brightness is effectively being 100% used all the time in their D-ILA technology.

For the specs the JVC projectors will just seem brighter for both 2D and 3D and in any case the lumens coming off the screen even with a huge 125 inch screen is likely to still be far better than what you are seeing in any theater now a days. Plus with active shutter technology and fast switching for the JVC 3D glasses the image will always be brighter anyway with active shutter than passive.

Even if the 3D would be dimmer than 2D any 3D projector that is capable of driving any passable 3D image is going to have brighter and more capable 2D performance for its class.

For the money the JVC projectors are going to look relatively brighter on any size screen and although 125 inch is huge its probably going to be looking better than most any thing else you can but at that price point and still better than most any cinema as well.
That may not be the case. He is going to active shutter glasses 3D. They will cut the light input to the eyes somewheres between 65% and 80% depending on which glasses he goes with.

He can make some of that up by going to a higher gain white screen - like 1.7 or 2.0.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
That may not be the case. He is going to active shutter glasses 3D. They will cut the light input to the eyes somewheres between 65% and 80% depending on which glasses he goes with.

He can make some of that up by going to a higher gain white screen - like 1.7 or 2.0.
There were new screens shown at CEDIA last month with about a 1.8 gain that were recently optimized to perform well with both 3D and 2D.

The active shutter technology from JVC this fall is better performing than even the best passive tech .

Like I said 125 is a big screen and to get great performance from any reasonably price projector will be a bit tough. But the 2D performance will be superb and the 3D will probably be better than most theaters for any of the FP in the JVC line as the D-ILA tech and its non dynamic iris native black levels adds to the performance.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
Who wood have thunk...:biggrin:

Lion King came out of no where for me....completely off my radar. I was poised for Titanic as being the first 3D conversion effort. Anyway...it's the END that's important...not the means.

I'm sorta in the same boat as you... new projector wise. My Z4 720P is nearing its useful life after nearly 6 years of faithful service and I'd like to go 3D. Me....I'm looking at the Optoma HD-33 more as an introductory 3D model. When 3D selections really start to take off in 2 or 3 years, at that time...I may upgrade depending on what's out there.

That's a HUGE screen you're talking about and even though the thought of bigger is better is tempting, for me...ideal is about 9 feet wide. At this width I get a solid, bright picture even in low lamp mode and this especially suits me as the bulb ages and I can up adjust the light level to compensate. Boy...those bulbs lose their brightness in a hurry.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
LOL. My first screen was a DIU paint job with instructions off the AVS screen web-site. Worked great.
My second was a $50 film screen material job I bought of Ebay 6 years ago and still looks great. I admit...I'm terribly cheap when it comes to buying screens. The thought of spending more for the screen than I did for the projector just turned me off.....completely. :money2:
Old 10-05-2011, 12:28 PM

Would you recommend the JVC over the new Panasonic 3D projector? I'm really confused which one to pick?? My screen size is 120"

I would repurchase all Disney films if released in 3D.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:32 PM

Wilson Art Designer White formica board that you can order from Home Depot in 8 foot wide sheets also makes an easy to do serviceable screen as well with reasonable color accuracy and reflective qualities.

You can buy a 3 x 8 sheet for under $90 and just nail it to you wall and in a few minutes you have a pretty good screen for under $100. Goo systems screen goo screen material paint is also good and cheap but takes a bit more work.

If you are wanting to get the best 3D performance though you need to pony up a few hundred or more for a regular screen though. even 92 or 100 inch for a front projection screen is a huge upgrade from a 50 inch HDTV in screen real estate. A 100 inch is about 4 x the space of a 50 inch screen.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towergrove View Post
Would you recommend the JVC over the new Panasonic 3D projector? I'm really confused which one to pick?? My screen size is 120"

I would repurchase all Disney films if released in 3D.
I liked both but I thought the JVC tech was better and gave deeper black levels which will make a difference in the long run. The JVC also does not use a dynamic iris which tends to give a brighter image and better 3D performance as well as dynamic iris like the Panasonic uses tend to lower the screen brightness overall.

But a lot depends on the prices you can get and your calibration as well. The latest Panasonic projectors give a exceptional image as well.

Panasonic is also heavily involved as a company in 3D overall so that could be an advantage for their 3D performance in their equipment as well.

You probably cannot go wrong with either choice. But the JVC will probably perform better on that large 120 inch screen because the lumens are better with no dynamic iris and the black levels and native contrast are better which means you can crank up the contrast to get more light and still not blow out the image dark areas.