Roger Ebert thinks Netflix revamp was right move. What do you think? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-30-2011, 01:16 PM

Default Roger Ebert thinks Netflix revamp was right move. What do you think?

What do you guys think of this?

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...-09292011.html
Old 09-30-2011, 01:28 PM

I think there are some good points made, but I think Ebert missed many things that they comments really highlight for me:
- I understand that they needed to seperate the services and charge more. This was inevitable.
- I hate that they changed the streaming site and search functionality. It is so much worse now. It was a step backwards in so many ways.
- I hate the Qwikster move and the seperation of the streaming and disc queues.
- I think Ebert neglected to discuss lack of extras, subtitles, HD content, OAR issues, lack of 5.1 audio, etc. No question streaming is a major downgrade from Blu-Ray, but in many cases, it is a downgrade from DVD. Which is frustrating to me.
- He did not mention the announced loss of Starz which includes theatrical movies from Sony and Disney.

This is just off the top of my head. I am sure there is more.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:28 PM

I think it was the right move to separate the services and have separate prices for each. I think it's the wrong move to take away the ability to search both streaming and disc databases on one site, not offer any kind of bundle discount for subscribing to both services, and rename the disc service Qwikster.

As a disc only customer who has been disappointed with their selection over the last couple years, brand loyalty has been the only thing keeping me with them. Now I don't even have that as an excuse.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:41 PM

I think it was a bad move. Streaming and disc by mail compliment each other and separating them out means consumers who use both can't have movies in one queue autotranfered to another. Plus separate billing is another pain. It's like they told "combo" users to go screw themselves.

Disc rental has a huge quality and selection advantage over streaming, and that often trumps the convenience of streaming. Now ironically, having the best of both worlds suddenly became less convenient, in a market which values convenience most of all.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:04 PM

It sounds that Ebert had chose convenience over high quality.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:12 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
It sounds that Ebert had chose convenience over high quality.
As have mainstream consumers.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:14 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

I wonder why Ebert focused on niche and eclectic indie films? Does he really believe they will be the cornerstone of Netflix's success?
Old 09-30-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
I wonder why Ebert focused on niche and eclectic indie films? Does he really believe they will be the cornerstone of Netflix's success?
Because Ebert has always been a really big fan of indie/foreign films. When Netflix was smaller they did an awesome job catering to indie/foreign film lovers, but they seemed to have lost this identity as they moved more towards the mainstream.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:05 PM

One of the benefits of subscription streaming is that you can take a chance on movies you would never check out normally, because there's no monetary or even time investment. If it sucks you can turn it off after the first 15 minutes and watch something else. No need to wait for disc shipments or go back to the rental store. I actually used it (back when it was free) to watch a few minutes of movies to see whether I wanted to rent it on DVD or Blu-ray, since the quality of streaming wasn't sufficient for me. So having a good selection of lesser-known films would benefit Netflix and their customers in that way. Combine that with a customer base who supposedly is concerned more with watching anything rather than watching specific titles and it seems like a no-brainer.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
I think it was a bad move. Streaming and disc by mail compliment each other and separating them out means consumers who use both can't have movies in one queue autotranfered to another. Plus separate billing is another pain. It's like they told "combo" users to go screw themselves.

Disc rental has a huge quality and selection advantage over streaming, and that often trumps the convenience of streaming. Now ironically, having the best of both worlds suddenly became less convenient, in a market which values convenience most of all.
I totally agree. Netflix is violating the K-I-S-S principle.

<keep it simple, stupid!>

But I love reading Ebert even though I find myself disagreeing with just about everything he writes. :biggrin: