In switch, cable operators want to go "a la carte" - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-28-2011, 05:52 PM

Default In switch, cable operators want to go "a la carte"

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...78K05L20110927
More at the link.
Quote:
NEW YORK, Sept 27 (Reuters) - U.S. cable operators are privately working on a plan to force programmers to unbundle their networks and allow customers to subscribe to channels on an individual basis.

The plan represents a complete reversal from cable operators' long-held opposition to what is known as "a la carte" programming. Over the last decade, the cable industry battled ferociously with regulators to protect the right to bundle programming, arguing it offered customers the best value.

But executives now say the change is a necessary response to shifting dynamics such as higher carriage costs and using the Web to watch programs, as well as a weak economic recovery that has forced many consumers to cancel cable television subscriptions.

Comcast Corp and Time Warner Cable, the two largest operators have lost 1.2 million video customers in the 12 months to June 30.
Id love this.

(oh look, weak economy as an excuse. pfftt fanboys)
Old 09-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Cable a la Carte? No Way!

Quote:
By Swanni
Washington, D.C. (September 28, 2011) -- Thanks to a Reuters article, the industry is buzzing this morning about cable operators shifting course and adopting 'a la carte' pricing so consumers can choose which channels they want to buy.

But the headline for the Reuters article, which is causing the buzz, is misleading at best and factually wrong at worst. The headline reads, "In Switch, Cable Operators Want to Go A La Carte."

Actually, cable operators have no intention of offering a la carte pricing, or at least the way a la carte has come to be known. . .
http://www.tvpredictions.com/cablecarte092811.htm
Old 09-28-2011, 07:14 PM

So I wonder just how much I could save by ditching 70+ unwanted sports channels?
Old 09-28-2011, 08:01 PM

I've been waiting for this for a long time and I'm sure this can't be very hard for the cable companies to implement either but I just don't think it'll ever happen. They would lose so much money if this happens.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:25 PM

Actually it would be the studios and network tv channels that would lose the most money.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luclin999 View Post
So I wonder just how much I could save by ditching 70+ unwanted sports channels?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggawhat View Post
I've been waiting for this for a long time and I'm sure this can't be very hard for the cable companies to implement either but I just don't think it'll ever happen. They would lose so much money if this happens.
You guys really believe the cable companies are going to let you pay much less? No you will pay a little less for much less content if this happens.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
You guys really believe the cable companies are going to let you pay much less? No you will pay a little less for much less content if this happens.
The cable companies are in trouble. People are leaving in droves and cable is getting replaced by cheap streaming. People just don't want to pay ridiculously high prices to really watch a few channels. The cable companies are looking at the same reality the studios are. There are cheaper alternatives out there and people are going that route. The cable companies can either offer cheaper alternatives or continue to see millions of customers walk.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:06 AM

The studios are the reason for the exploading cable prices. They keep on asking for huge % increases durring negotiations. The studios and tv channnels are the ones who are at fault. Not the cable companies. The cable companies are only a middle man to the content. THe content owners are the greedy ones driving up our prices. Funny thiung is its starting to backfire and they are only going to get handed to them what they deserve. I cant wait to see the imploading happen. Its inevitable. The studios are IMO a house of cards and its gonna fall down pretty damn soon.

The cable companies are not in trouble. They own the pipes to the internet. They have a lot to gain in the next few decades as far as the net goes. Everyone I know has cable internet.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:19 AM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
The cable companies are in trouble. People are leaving in droves and cable is getting replaced by cheap streaming. People just don't want to pay ridiculously high prices to really watch a few channels. The cable companies are looking at the same reality the studios are. There are cheaper alternatives out there and people are going that route. The cable companies can either offer cheaper alternatives or continue to see millions of customers walk.
Do you have data that backs up your hypothesis? The reason why I ask is that there are numerous links which state that "cord cutting" is nothing more then a myth. What is affecting "Pay TV" are people trying to make ends meet and having to drop their service simply because they can no longer afford it. It's not a case of them wanting it . . . they have to.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Do you have data that backs up your hypothesis? The reason why I ask is that there are numerous links which state that "cord cutting" is nothing more then a myth. What is affecting "Pay TV" are people trying to make ends meet and having to drop their service simply because they can no longer afford it. It's not a case of them wanting it . . . they have to.
The OP states Comcast and Time Warner have lost 1.2 million customers in the last 12 months. We see the growth for Netflix during that period. Not too hard to put 2 and 2 together. There is also Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc. Lots of cheap ways to watch content now. If I was not a sports nut, we would have cut the cord along time ago.