Star Wars BD Sells one million worldwide. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-23-2011, 09:56 PM

Default Star Wars BD Sells one million worldwide.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118043276

Quote:
Blu-ray sales for 'Star Wars' top $84 million
Nine-disc set sells more than 1 million copies worldwide
By MARC GRASER

Consumers were willing to shell out top dollar for the complete "Star Wars" franchise, which bowed on Blu-ray this week, with the collection selling more than 1 million units to break records for the high-definition homevideo format.
The nine-disc set generated more than $84 million from worldwide sales, with $38 million collected in the U.S. alone, from 515,000 units in North America. On average, the collection is priced at $79.99.

The sales figures made "Star Wars: The Complete Saga" the No. 1 pre-order and catalog title since the launch of Blu-ray in 2006.

Lucasfilm and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment have been promoting the release for the past 13 months, with the marketing campaign including Darth Vader and Stormtroopers taking over the Panasonic booth to announce the September release date at January's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas and a first look at San Diego Comic-Con.

"Once again our fan's enthusiasm to celebrate 'Stars Wars' continues to amaze us," said Kayleen Walters, senior director, marketing at Lucasfilm. "Our goal was to deliver a premium product that they could enjoy with their family and friends and we are thrilled that they are enjoying it as much as we hoped they would."

Episodes I-III and IV-VI are also available as separate Blu-ray trilogy collections for $39.99 each.

"Star Wars is a franchise with universal stories that resonates as much today as it did 30 years ago," said Mary Daily, executive VP of marketing for Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment and Vincent Marcais, senior VP of international marketing for Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. "With the Blu-ray, audiences can go deeper into the mythology than ever before and reconnect with everything they love about the saga in the best possible quality."The collection includes the six movies on the Blu-ray format for the first time, with deleted, extended and alternate scenes, new documentaries and "Star Wars" spoofs produced over the past three decades.

The first pic of the original trilogy didn't bow on DVD until 2004, while the prequels came out sooner, beginning in 2000.
I'm sad to say I'm a part of those sales $s. Much as I HATED the changes (I muted my tv during that scene in episode VI) I just couldn't say no to star wars in HD. DAMN YOU LUCAS:blackeye3:
Old 09-23-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Gorilla View Post
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118043276

I'm sad to say I'm a part of those sales $s. Much as I HATED the changes (I muted my tv during that scene in episode VI) I just couldn't say no to star wars in HD. DAMN YOU LUCAS:blackeye3:
It's a strange, complex world. I must have seen Star Wars maybe like 10 times when it was released in '77 and maybe another 10 times since than on the tele. It's the work of a true genius.

Now having said this...I didn't buy the Blu ray. Why? Well, I have the DVD's and haven't watched them in years. I recorded all 6 films in HD but haven't got around to watching those either. It's kinda hard for me to justify forking over $80 bucks on films where my interest has been just simply worn out.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:49 PM

Not that impressive honestly. Not to put it down completely because it did sell well.

The first DVD release did like 2.5 million worldwide and that was on the first day if I remember right.

I canceled my preorder after all of the changes came to light, problem for me is all of the changes to the original stick out badly for the most part. The prequels I have on DVD and never watched any of them except Attack of the Clowns (when it first hit DVD) so the Blu upgrade for that series wasn't a big draw.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:42 PM

Never seen Star Wars except for Phantom Menace (when it came out on DVD), so I thought what the hell now's a good time to check it out. I'm glad I did, this stuff is a real treat to watch even if you don't understand everything that's going on, because Star War is eye candy made for HD. I've watched the first 4 episodes in order so far and I gotta say I feel sorry for the holdouts who are waiting for the untouched originals in HD that will get released on the 12th of never.

Sales seem to be pretty impressive considering the $80 cost. I guess the boycott failed, LOL.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Never seen Star Wars except for Phantom Menace (when it came out on DVD), so I thought what the hell now's a good time to check it out. I'm glad I did, this stuff is a real treat to watch even if you don't understand everything that's going on, because Star War is eye candy made for HD. I've watched the first 4 episodes in order so far and I gotta say I feel sorry for the holdouts who are waiting for the untouched originals in HD that will get released on the 12th of never.

Sales seem to be pretty impressive considering the $80 cost. I guess the boycott failed, LOL.
It almost a crime that you have never seen Star Wars:blackeye3:
I will pull the trigger on the HD version, but that will probably be on Black Friday online deals, and I think I only need the original trilogy. I have the untouched versions on VHS which will probably get transferred to DVD for longevity sakes.
Star Wars is a series that has/will span over many generations. I was seven when I first saw Star Wars in the theater, and I cherish that I saw it on the big screen, bigger than life with an audience that was in just as much awe as I was.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
It almost a crime that you have never seen Star Wars:blackeye3:
I will pull the trigger on the HD version, but that will probably be on Black Friday online deals, and I think I only need the original trilogy. I have the untouched versions on VHS which will probably get transferred to DVD for longevity sakes.
Star Wars is a series that has/will span over many generations. I was seven when I first saw Star Wars in the theater, and I cherish that I saw it on the big screen, bigger than life with an audience that was in just as much awe as I was.
Even with the flaws and fan angst and critical abuse the prequel trilogy is still worth watching and as a story arc together the complete saga is powerful.

Besides all the new Clone Wars and new Star Wars stuff make no sense without the prequel trilogy.

Just buy the whole damn thing and get all the four extra bonus discs as well even if you resist watching the 1-3 movies.

Its a cultural thing and for better or worse the prequels are part of that and worth watching at least once but I'm sure you will watch them more than that as well.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:32 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM0-A12MmVs&feature=player_embedded#
Old 09-24-2011, 06:33 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-3BXPUHWBU&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-3BXPUHWBU&NR=1
Old 09-24-2011, 08:56 AM

I picked up the set as well and am really enjoying it. Sales are pretty dang good considering it is an $80 catalog set that many people already own on DVD.

Got mine for $75 and it was well worth it to me.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
Not that impressive honestly. Not to put it down completely because it did sell well.

The first DVD release did like 2.5 million worldwide and that was on the first day if I remember right.

I canceled my preorder after all of the changes came to light, problem for me is all of the changes to the original stick out badly for the most part. The prequels I have on DVD and never watched any of them except Attack of the Clowns (when it first hit DVD) so the Blu upgrade for that series wasn't a big draw.
It's not as big as the DVD, true, but I'd still call 1M in the first week impressive. I think there's three headwinds preventing the Blu Ray from hitting those heights (two of which you touched on in your last paragraph):

1. A lot of people have bought Star Wars on DVD, and have balked at buying it again. And as discussed here previously, the potential audience for Blu Ray is limited by the population of households with HDTVs, and for some of them, the DVDs are good enough.

2. The DVD was released about a year before Episode III hit theaters, so the movies were still very much in the public's eye. They're not nearly as prominent or cool now, and a lot of kids may have moved on to other franchises like Harry Potter.

3. For some fans, there's a lot of Star Wars fatigue. The "brand" has taken a significant hit in the public's eye over the last decade, between the prequels and Lucas' incessant tinkering. I know some people who will only watch the unaltered version released a few years back, even though it's a lower-quality nonanamorphic disc. For others, the NOOOOO and other changes were the last straw and they canceled their preorders.

It's still huge, no doubt -- 1 million huge. But I think it's a mistake to use DVD's results as the yardstick for success.