Dish Network’s Blockbuster ‘Movie Pass’ Aimed Squarely At Netflix - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Arrow Dish Network’s Blockbuster ‘Movie Pass’ Aimed Squarely At Netflix

Dish Network’s Blockbuster ‘Movie Pass’ Aimed Squarely At Netflix

Quote:
The timing of the Dish Network’s and Blockbuster’s introduction of new a streaming video venture couldn’t be more perfect. With Netflix (NSDQ: NFLX) reeling from subscriber losses and discontent after successive PR failures following the move to a bifurcated DVD/streaming video pricing and branding system, this deal could represent Blockbuster (NYSE: BBI) name’s best chance for a comeback since Dish bought it for the bargain price of $320 million in April.

Dish CEO Joe Clayton began the press conference noting that Blockbuster’s brand name may be tarnished on Wall St., and in the media, but to “Main St., the Blockbuster name means something of value to families.”

The new product, dubbed the Blockbuster Movie Pass, will encompass a fuller integration of Blockbuster into Dish’s system. With 3,000 movies streamed to the TV, 4,000 streamed to the PC and it will launch a week from Saturday. At first glance, the competition would seem to have little to worry about, if the contest is judged by the numbers game. By way of comparison, Netflix has 20,000 titles available for instant streaming, while Amazon (NSDQ: AMZN) has 9,000 VOD videos through its Amazon Prime service.

What do Dish Network (NSDQ: DISH) customer’s get for it? On top of the authenticated content they get through Sling, there will now be discs via Blockbuster’s own mail rental service, but it’s the streaming offer that’s intended to help Dish attract new customers, Clayton said. In addition, Clayton said this isn’t just about movie rentals and streams, it also involves access to thousands of game rentals through Blockbuster.

The Blockbuster Movie Pass will cost current Dish subscriber $10 a month, though new subs will get a discount.

In terms of deriving revenue, Dish is also counting on some ad support for the streams. More to come
http://paidcontent.org/article/419-d...ly-at-netflix/
Old 09-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

The formal announcement will come around 9:30 AM PT
Old 09-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Dish Network unveiled today the "Blockbuster Movie Pass," a bundle of services that includes streaming video; DVDs; Blu-Rays and games by mail; and access to premium movie channels. The catch: you need to be a Dish Network customer.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-201...-media-bundle/
Old 09-23-2011, 03:35 PM

Well I know that I will not be using this new service. No Dish network in Canada.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Well I know that I will not be using this new service. No Dish network in Canada.
Over the Top baby. Possible in the future if you have an Internet connection they could expand to the great white North.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Some additional info at this link:

http://www.twice.com/article/474308-...Movie_Pass.php

Quote:
They will also be able to view the content via PC and Mac computers at www.dishonline.com.

The combined content services for PC viewers will only be available at Dishonline.com. Blockbuster.com will continue to stream its own On Demand service, separately.

Last edited by Lee Stewart; 09-23-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:22 PM

Great bonus for subscribing to DISH Network! My brother will be happy that it include game rentals too.
People who are not DISH subscribers at this time.... stay tuned. :wink:
Old 09-23-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
Over the Top baby. Possible in the future if you have an Internet connection they could expand to the great white North.
Nope. Never Happen. CRTC would/has squashed any attempt. Canada cannot watch American movie providers online. Hulu and Vudu are only available in America.
if you are watching Dish Network in Canada, you are doing so illegally.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Dish Network unveils Blockbuster Movie Pass streaming and DVD service
By Andy Vuong

The Denver Post
POSTED: 09/24/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

Joe Clayton, CEO of Dish Network, speaks at a Dish Network and Blockbuster news conference in San Francisco, Friday, Sept. 23, 2011. The Blockbuster video store chain and new owner Dish Network are ganging up on Netflix with a less expensive way to watch Internet video and rent DVDs through the mail.

Dish Network and recently acquired Blockbuster announced a comprehensive video programming service Friday that stages a battle with online streaming giant Netflix.

The subscription-based Blockbuster Movie Pass will include streamed flicks, by-mail DVDs and video games, unlimited in-store exchanges and access to more than 20 premium movie channels.

It starts at $10 a month. Netflix charges $8 a month for unlimited streaming and another $8 for by-mail DVD rentals.

The catch is that Movie Pass will be available only to new and existing Dish subscribers when it launches Oct. 1.

The Douglas County-based company, which serves about 14 million satellite-TV customers, plans to offer a stand-alone streaming service to non-Dish subscribers later this year. Until that happens, the impact on Netflix will be limited.

Still, the new offering comes at an opportune time because Netflix is bleeding subscribers after announcing a price hike of up to 60 percent in July. Netflix serves more than 20 million customers.

Ian Olgeirson, a senior analyst with SNL Kagan, said Blockbuster Movie Pass "might help return a little shine to a brand that has lost its luster."

Dish acquired Blockbuster out of bankruptcy in April for $320 million.

"Blockbuster has been trying to turn the corner to a digital or streamed offering for some time, and (the new service) brings some interesting aspects, including the physical DVD rentals and the ties to the Dish multichannel service," Olgeirson said.

Movie Pass will include premium movie channels such as Starz Cinema, IndiePlex and MoviePlex, and access to 100,000 DVD movies, TV shows and games by mail.

"One company, one bill, one connection for everything you need in video entertainment," said Dish chief executive Joe Clayton.

Movie Pass initially targets subscribers to both Dish and Netflix, a figure that stands at about 3 million, according to the Diffusion Group, a Texas-based research and consulting firm.

"If you are a Dish subscriber, there simply isn't any reason to be a Netflix subscriber anymore," Diffusion Group advisory services senior partner Colin Dixon said, noting the price difference between Netflix and Movie Pass.

Netflix, though, holds an advantage with more than 20,000 TV shows and movies available for streaming. Movie Pass will offer more than 3,000 movies streamed to the TV and 4,000 movies streamed to the computer.

"Netflix comes without a cover charge," said Netflix spokesman Steve Swasey, a reference to the fact that Movie Pass will initially require a Dish subscription.

Dish will offer Movie Pass for free f
or the first year to new subscribers to a satellite-TV programming package of $40 a month or greater. The deal requires a two-year contract.
http://www.denverpost.com/business/c...bref=obnetwork
Old 09-29-2011, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb View Post
After having worked for Dish Network as a customer service associate, I can tell you I will NEVER get satellite TV. Unless you get your dish positioned in the exact right spot, be prepared for problems. Plus the video quality leaves much to be desired.

I now have Verizon FIOS and couldn't be happier. I am paying about $50 more a month than I did with Comcast but don't really mind for all the features I get.
I wish I had fios. I had dish and then switched to comcast because it made financial sense and the quality of the signal was about the same. FIOS is amazin. My brother has it and says its the bomb. I am envious of all you guys and gals that can get access to FIOS. I was hoping that msft would expand and go after google with their gigabit net.