Disney CFO: ‘We Are Maximizing Blu-ray’ - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-21-2011, 09:15 PM

Default Disney CFO: ‘We Are Maximizing Blu-ray’

Quote:
CFO Jay Rasulo says the studio continues to utilize the high-definition format to extract what remains of the physical retail channel

The Walt Disney Co.’s CFO, Jay Rasulo, Sept. 21 said the studio remains bullish on Blu-ray Disc, incorporating the high-definition format into catalog DVD releases and new releases with digital copy.

Speaking at Goldman Sachs 20th annual Communacopia Conference in New York, Rasulo said Walt Disney Studios continued to leverage the potential of Blu-ray and DVD, underscored by a strong conversion rate of theatrical to incremental home entertainment revenue. That said, Rasulo compared the packaged media retail market to melting ice.

“Whether that ice cube is in the desert or elsewhere is a matter of debate,” Rasulo said. “But it’s definitely a melting ice cube.”

The CFO said Disney is trying extract remaining revenue from the physical channel DVDs. The studio continues to have a better conversion rate from box office to home video than the industry average due in part to the way Disney packages home entertainment releases, Rasulo said.

“We are maximizing Blu-ray for whatever it is,” he said. “But clearly, over time, this is a market that is moving over to digital.”

Reiterating previous company statements regarding the promotion of Bob Chapek to head a revamped consumer products division, the CFO said Disney’s myriad retail “touch points,” which include consumer products, publishing, home video and video games, provided an opportunity to utilize Chapek’s strengths reorganizing and transforming Disney into a singular brand to retail.

“Which is akin to the responsibility [Chapek] had in a big bulk of his career when the home video business was his sole responsibility,” Rasulo said, adding that Chapek, with more than 20 years experience at Disney, also will oversee licensing of the Disney brand.

“He will represent [home video] to the extent that there are still physical DVDs being sold at retail,” Rasulo said.
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/dis...-blu-ray-25129
Old 09-21-2011, 09:38 PM

“We are maximizing Blu-ray for whatever it is,” he said. “But clearly, over time, this is a market that is moving over to digital.”

That's a pretty sobering statement coming from the studio that was second only to Sony in its push for Blu-Ray during the format war. Disney was taking out double page ads in HMM in 07 comparing BD and HD DVD hardware sales, I mean they were serious and putting their own money into it.

In any event, his use of the term "over time" should temper some of the "zomg blu-ray is dead" commentaries
Optical isn't out the door yet, though its certainly been handed its hat.

Nice post tower, should generate some interesting discussion!
Old 09-21-2011, 10:09 PM

I don't really see anything new though. We all know optical will eventually go away, and digital will be the next big thing. But looking at the actual revenue numbers it is pretty clear that optical disc has a lot of legs left and digital has a long way to go. This is not going to happen in a couple of years. It may not even happen in less than 10 years.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:22 PM

HOw come people think that it goes from optical to digital. BD will be the last optical format. It is not going to be the last physical format. We still have 4K physical that will be down the road. Sets will be selling pretty soon at the same price as the first plasmas. Prices drop fast. I expect a 4K PJ in my theater in less than 4 years time.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipvideo View Post
HOw come people think that it goes from optical to digital. BD will be the last optical format. It is not going to be the last physical format. We still have 4K physical that will be down the road. Sets will be selling pretty soon at the same price as the first plasmas. Prices drop fast. I expect a 4K PJ in my theater in less than 4 years time.
4K will appeal to fewer people than Blu-Ray. And the studios will be looking at some big resource and budget commitments to master their catalog on 4K for that smaller group of consumer. I would love to see 4K, but I think the major shift we have seen to cheap renting has significantly hurt the next physical format (assuming there is one).
Old 09-21-2011, 11:04 PM

There is no doubt in my mind there will be another physical format. Something physical is going to have to carry that amount of data to the tv set.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipvideo View Post
There is no doubt in my mind there will be another physical format. Something physical is going to have to carry that amount of data to the tv set.
Maybe not a NEW format. Some have suggested 4k can simply be done on multi-layed BDs. Though for my part, I think it will be HVD (3 Terabytes) or something similar.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Gorilla View Post
Maybe not a NEW format. Some have suggested 4k can simply be done on multi-layed BDs. Though for my part, I think it will be HVD (3 Terabytes) or something similar.

My thinking too.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
4K will appeal to fewer people than Blu-Ray. And the studios will be looking at some big resource and budget commitments to master their catalog on 4K for that smaller group of consumer. I would love to see 4K, but I think the major shift we have seen to cheap renting has significantly hurt the next physical format (assuming there is one).
It is my opinion that I think we will still see a rental and Purchase market just like we have up until now. The studios are showing no sigh that they are going to give up on the sell thru market. I'm unsure if it will be a physical medium though. Digital distribution will be big for sell thru in the future if they can get a standard format (maybe UV??, Maybe not) on the market.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnerd View Post

That's a pretty sobering statement coming from the studio that was second only to Sony in its push for Blu-Ray during the format war. Disney was taking out double page ads in HMM in 07 comparing BD and HD DVD hardware sales, I mean they were serious and putting their own money into it.

In any event, his use of the term "over time" should temper some of the "zomg blu-ray is dead" commentaries
Optical isn't out the door yet, though its certainly been handed its hat.

Nice post tower, should generate some interesting discussion!
thank you