Lost in the Netflix Name Game: Vanishing Instant Queue Titles - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-20-2011, 01:00 PM

Default Lost in the Netflix Name Game: Vanishing Instant Queue Titles

Quote:
Lost in the Netflix Name Game: Vanishing Instant Queue Titles

20 Sep, 2011
By: Erik Gruenwedel

Netflix last weekend quietly began deleting titles in subscribers' instant watch queue whose rights had expired

The day before CEO Reed Hastings’ mea culpa heard around the world, Netflix began quietly hiding titles from subscribers’ instant watch queues whose streaming rights had expired.

So what’s the big deal? Previously, the Los Gatos, Calif.-based by-mail disc rental pioneer had allowed titles whose streaming rights (from the content holder) would soon expire to remain in the subs’ queue with a listed date when the particular content would no longer be available. As a result, subs could manage titles according to availability, including transferring them to their disc rental queue if available there.

Of course that much lauded feature will soon be history when Qwikster becomes Netflix’s stand-alone disc rental platform with a completely separate (and non-compatible) rental queue.

In Sept. 17 post on its blog, Netflix said it didn’t remove -- but merely hid -- titles from subscribers’ instant watch queue until it knew exactly when those titles would again be available to stream. It said it did this to make managing queues easier.

The blogosphere smelled a rat and howled accordingly with critics accusing Netflix of attempting to hide the fact it was losing streaming rights to content at an increasing rate, including Sony and Disney movies which are set to expire next February when the license deal with Starz Entertainment ends.

Frost & Sullivan analyst Dan Rayburn said Netflix’s move made it more difficult for subscribers to manage their rental queues, including keeping track of “hidden” titles that still count toward a 500-title queue limit.

“I am getting so tired of Netflix’s blog posts lately which are starting to sound like they are written by a bunch of lawyers being creative with words,” Rayburn wrote on StreamingMedia.com just hours before Hastings’ mea culpa.

Richard Greenfield, analyst with BTIG Research in New York, said Netflix in recent times had transitioned from a self-touted "pretty simple" user experience to "puzzling."

In a column Sept. 19, Troy Dreier, senior associate editor with StreamingMedia, lamented that Netflix’s blunders were quickly transitioning it as “the Palm for a new generation,” or as the headline on the cover the Sept. 20 Los Angeles Times read: "Once High-Flying Netflix is Sinking."
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/net...e-titles-25108
Old 09-20-2011, 01:48 PM

They're doing it wrong.

1 of the great things about netflix has been the ability to amass a large queue of titles. The only reason I didn't cancel blockbuster, or later netflix, is because I'd created a 100+ disc/title queue and didn't want to lose this information or rebuild it on a different site. Having the ability to stream or get a disc of certain titles was helpful for me (though I rarely used streaming). So this kind of move... it really makes it easier for me to merely quit quikster or netflix altogether.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:25 PM

I can understand newer release titles with being temporarily available to stream, but I don't get why really old catalog titles are only available for a limited time. Paramount seems to really limit their stuff. Let's take the awful film Congo, for example. That was only available to stream for what seemed like maybe 2 months and then it was pulled. That's a title that they will never make money on ever again. But it's treated with limited time viewing. I know I have had alot of stuff vanish from my queue recently. And it's mostly older catalog.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
I can understand newer release titles with being temporarily available to stream, but I don't get why really old catalog titles are only available for a limited time. Paramount seems to really limit their stuff. Let's take the awful film Congo, for example. That was only available to stream for what seemed like maybe 2 months and then it was pulled. That's a title that they will never make money on ever again. But it's treated with limited time viewing. I know I have had alot of stuff vanish from my queue recently. And it's mostly older catalog.
Great point and great example using Congo. Many many titles are almost worthless IMO. Like Congo. To me the studios are stupid to turn away any money on titles like this. That's why I said they should be happy to get an offer lime the one Netflix offered. I'm sure there were titles better than Congo in that deal that fell through with Starz. But there are lots of titles that are really not with much anymore. Also why I said Netflix is where old movies go to die. great point Mr Cinema
Old 09-20-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
Great point and great example using Congo. Many many titles are almost worthless IMO. Like Congo. To me the studios are stupid to turn away any money on titles like this. That's why I said they should be happy to get an offer lime the one Netflix offered. I'm sure there were titles better than Congo in that deal that fell through with Starz. But there are lots of titles that are really not with much anymore. Also why I said Netflix is where old movies go to die. great point Mr Cinema
Hey screw both of you Congo is a great film. STOP EATING MY SESAME CAKE!