Best Buy Heads Blogs' List of Companies Said To Be In Deep Trouble - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-19-2011, 05:31 PM

Default Best Buy Heads Blogs' List of Companies Said To Be In Deep Trouble

not good.......
I know there are lots of employees on here; any insights into how things seem to be going?; what's the buzz at your store?
even though BB sometimes frustrates the hell out of me, I definitely don't wish them to go under by any means. I still enjoy going to the stores, and trying to support bd when they have good deals. I could handle the end of Circuit City, but if BB ends up having to start closing stores at some point in the future that would really make me sad. They are still one of the only b&m stores I regularly find myself at.
http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work...osing-hope-247

1. Best Buy (NYSE: BBY - News) recently released earnings, and they were much worse than Wall St. expected. Net income fell to $177 million, or EPS of $0.47, for the quarter ended Aug. 27, down from $254 million, or EPS of $0.60, last year. Analysts expected EPS of $0.52, according to a survey by FactSet. Best Buy dropped its forecast for the year. It took this action because of concerns about TV and phone sales, along with worry about the economy. Best Buy has had a string of earnings failures, due primarily to its failure to do well online. Best Buy recently said its website would carry items from third-party stores to expand its attraction to shoppers. This did nothing to improve the perception that investors have of the company. Fitch downgraded Best Buy in June. The company's shares are off 30% in the last year. Shares of rival Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN - News) are higher by 60% for the same period.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:48 PM

I like Best Buy. They easily have the best in-store selection of movies. Yeah, their regular pricing isn't great, but they do usually run a ton of sales on catalogs and new releases. I still buy my majority of BDs from Amazon due to no tax and the quick, free 2 day shipping.

But I always enjoy browsing the Best Buy aisles as well to look for stuff. I have always had good experiences with the many locations around here.

Now that Walmart and Target basically offer up several flat panel options, plus movies, etc., I'm guessing that might be part of the reason for the downward trend of Best Buy?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:21 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Best Buy Must Stop Purchasing Its Own Stock

http://www.minyanville.com/businessm.../2011/id/36851
Old 09-19-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
I like Best Buy. They easily have the best in-store selection of movies. Yeah, their regular pricing isn't great, but they do usually run a ton of sales on catalogs and new releases. I still buy my majority of BDs from Amazon due to no tax and the quick, free 2 day shipping.

But I always enjoy browsing the Best Buy aisles as well to look for stuff. I have always had good experiences with the many locations around here.

Now that Walmart and Target basically offer up several flat panel options, plus movies, etc., I'm guessing that might be part of the reason for the downward trend of Best Buy?
You must not have a Fry's nearby? :biggrin:

Their selection of movies is insane. I love that place.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:25 PM

So Best Buy has one quarter where they miss expectations but still make money, and end up number 1 on some guy's blog on companies that are in deep shit? Talk about overreacting, jeez...
Old 09-19-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
So Best Buy has one quarter where they miss expectations but still make money, and end up number 1 on some guy's blog on companies that are in deep shit? Talk about overreacting, jeez...
That's the internet for you. Maybe he's trying to help his short sales?
Old 09-19-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Pretty much. :tongue:
Old 09-19-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Best Buy Must Stop Purchasing Its Own Stock

http://www.minyanville.com/businessm.../2011/id/36851

When nobody else buys your stock somone has too right?
Old 09-19-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggawhat View Post
You must not have a Fry's nearby? :biggrin:

Their selection of movies is insane. I love that place.
no Fry's here. I get sick to my stomach when I find out some of the in-store pricing on newer titles. They are always lower than everyone else.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
no Fry's here. I get sick to my stomach when I find out some of the in-store pricing on newer titles. They are always lower than everyone else.
Apparently, they will match Internet prices now too. They are like the Costco of electronics. I usually drop quite a bit when I'm in Vegas, if I come up which doesn't always happen but when I do I always make a point to drop some cash there.