Look Out Netflix, Here Comes Blockbuster! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Arrow Look Out Netflix, Here Comes Blockbuster!

Look Out Netflix, Here Comes Blockbuster!

Quote:
Washington, D.C. (September 18, 2011) -- Dish Network this week will unveil pricing for a new Blockbuster streaming movie service that will compete directly with Netflix, reports Bloomberg News.

The wire service writes that Dish will hold a press conference on September 23 to announce the details of the service, including subscription costs.

The satcaster, which purchased Blockbuster Video in a bankruptcy auction earlier this year, apparently believes that Netflix is now vulnerable because of a recent pricing change that has upset numerous subscribers.

Bloomberg reports that Dish will initially offer Blockbuster's streaming service with its pay TV service. Consumers who don't currently subscribe to Dish will be able to use the Blockbuster streaming service at a later date.
http://www.tvpredictions.com/dishblock091811.htm

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blo...-sept-23-25097
Old 09-19-2011, 01:01 PM

I have a feeling that if this service has enough content that Netflix will be given a run for their money.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggawhat View Post
I have a feeling that if this service has enough content that Netflix will be given a run for their money.
Everything will depend on content. Does Dish have deep enough pockets to get the content? Studios have to see the inherent value in streaming now so they won't sign the same deal they did with Netflix at the beginning.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:09 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
From the HMM link:

Quote:
Michael Pachter, director of research with Wedbush Securities in Los Angeles, questioned the depth of Blockbuster's streaming content, considering Dish is mending fences with studios regarding Blockbuster's previous license deals.

"They don't have the content yet to effectively compete with Netflix," Pachter said
Old 09-19-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
From the HMM link:

I wonder how Dish's contract is structured with their content partners. If they are allowed to possibly use it for streaming purposes?
Old 09-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
I wonder how Dish's contract is structured with their content partners. If they are allowed to possibly use it for streaming purposes?
AFAIK, Dish has to hold to the existing contracts that they inherited when they bought BBi. BBi didn't have a streaming service (AFAIK) so I suspect their contracts had no provision for that service so they have to negiogate for it.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:50 PM

Good luck to them even getting it off the ground.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
AFAIK, Dish has to hold to the existing contracts that they inherited when they bought BBi. BBi didn't have a streaming service (AFAIK) so I suspect their contracts had no provision for that service so they have to negiogate for it.
Blockbuster On Demand service has been available for some time and has integration with some consumer A/V devices already.

http://www.blockbuster.com/download/devices

Most notably are Samsung, Sharp, and Vizio products. Nice to see Oppo on that list as well.

Clearly, if they have some pay-per-view service currently setup, then they will have to look at contracts and perhaps renegotiate to be Netflix competitive. Likewise, the studios will have to look at their strategy on this type of service.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:47 PM

I hope the studios don't force the 28-day delay on new release disc rentals as part of their streaming deals with BB.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
I hope the studios don't force the 28-day delay on new release disc rentals as part of their streaming deals with BB.
I do not think so. The studios have made some level of commitment there as Blockbuster has been allowed to use that in their advertising. DISH acquiring Blockbuster and being more open to a non fully streaming subscription model and tiers make it a better partner from a studio perspective as well.