Google Creating New Rental Window? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Banned

Default Google Creating New Rental Window?

Imagine that... a shift in windows beyond the traditional Pay TV one.

Quote:
Online search behemoth is spending upwards of $200 million on third-party content license rights, which one analyst says could be used to launch an ad-supported rental model

Google is inking streaming rights to myriad movies and TV shows for a work-in-progress YouTube revamp — a move one analyst believes is establishing subscription VOD as the next multibillion-dollar business.

With studios revisiting post-theater distribution windows such as physical and electronic sellthrough, rental, pay TV and subscription video-on-demand (Netflix), Google is showing a willingness to spend on content as it also flexes its fiscal largess ($39 billion in cash), acquiring infrastructure (Motorola Mobility) and restaurant recommendation website Zagat, which could easily accommodate the more affluent “dinner and movie” consumer with an infusion of entertainment suggestions.
Quote:
Ralph Schackart, media analyst with William Blair & Co. in Chicago, said Google could undermine the currently stagnant transactional VOD window with lower-priced new-release digital rentals featuring advertising.

He said this new window could help create a $65 billion premium video market. The market would include $35 billion from DVD/Blu-ray movies’ continued digital migration, $15 billion from mobile video and $15 billion from subscription VOD.
Quote:
The analyst said that as studios and content owners up third-party digital license fees, digital movies and TV programming will become commoditized with margins three times that of physical distribution. Schackart said studios throughout time will lower digital rights fees to encourage increased adoption and competition.

“We believe key market participants will bid against one another to gain exclusivity windows, and they will need substantial capital (to buy content) and scale/reach (to monetize content) to adequately compete in the market,” he wrote. “As they seek to gain a competitive edge, we believe movie studios may offer exclusive digital windows, wherein companies seeking digital rights to Hollywood content pay a premium for exclusivity.”
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/you...l-window-25034
Old 09-12-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Ralph Schackart, media analyst with William Blair & Co. in Chicago, said Google could undermine the currently stagnant transactional VOD window with lower-priced new-release digital rentals featuring advertising.

Stagnant? But VUDU is supposedly renting movies like hotcakes. How can VOD be Stagnant.

People must only be using VUDU for those daily .99 flix.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:49 AM

I always love to see what PSound does not quote. It hardly disappoints. :tongue:

Quote:
Schackart said digital pioneers Netflix, Hulu and Facebook throughout time would evolve into niche providers, with Netflix focusing on catalog fare, Hulu repurposed TV content and Facebook transactional VOD.

Quote:
Principal players in the burgeoning digital market include Amazon (which is seeking to drive Prime loyalty members and ecommerce), Apple (which dominates portable consumer electronics) and Google.

“We believe Google could subsidize the studios’ wholesale fees and monetize the movies (at least partly) through advertising,” Schackart wrote in a Sept. 12 note.

The analyst said that as studios and content owners up third-party digital license fees, digital movies and TV programming will become commoditized with margins three times that of physical distribution. Schackart said studios throughout time will lower digital rights fees to encourage increased adoption and competition.

“We believe key market participants will bid against one another to gain exclusivity windows, and they will need substantial capital (to buy content) and scale/reach (to monetize content) to adequately compete in the market,” he wrote. “As they seek to gain a competitive edge, we believe movie studios may offer exclusive digital windows, wherein companies seeking digital rights to Hollywood content pay a premium for exclusivity.”

Schackart said digital pioneers Netflix, Hulu and Facebook throughout time would evolve into niche providers, with Netflix focusing on catalog fare, Hulu repurposed TV content and Facebook transactional VOD.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
I always love to see what PSound does not quote. It hardly disappoints. :tongue:
Kind of what like Home Media Magazine and their spokesperson (Kosty) do not discuss (or add words to executive quotes) as it fits their PR agenda.

The point is that the traditional windows are shifting as physical media continues it's half decade long decline. A point that Home Media Magazine buries and that Kosty (unsurprisingly) fails to recognize.

Again, Kosty needs to declare in his signature his professional relationship with Home Media Magazine. It is the ethical thing to do.

Granted, it is also ethical to not publish quotes attributed to company executives that they never actually stated which Home Media Magazine did and that Kosty posted on this forum (before he went on a crusade to defend HMM's actions).
Old 09-13-2011, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound View Post
Kind of what like Home Media Magazine and their spokesperson (Kosty) do not discuss (or add words to executive quotes) as it fits their PR agenda.

The point is that the traditional windows are shifting as physical media continues it's half decade long decline. A point that Home Media Magazine buries and that Kosty (unsurprisingly) fails to recognize.

Again, Kosty needs to declare in his signature his professional relationship with Home Media Magazine. It is the ethical thing to do.

Granted, it is also ethical to not publish quotes attributed to company executives that they never actually stated which Home Media Magazine did and that Kosty posted on this forum (before he went on a crusade to defend HMM's actions).
Again I speak for myself. Your continuous accusations that I work for or represent HMM in any way is rude and is confrontational and misleading. Its a deliberate attempt to bait and distract from your arguments.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Again I speak for myself. Your continuous accusations that I work for or represent HMM in any way is rude and is confrontational and misleading. Its a deliberate attempt to bait and distract from your arguments.
I have stated that you have a professional relationship with Home Media Magazine. You do.

You have stated as much in your interaction with sharing information that you use to publish here (and on other forums) and on them using information you provide to them to influence their publication.

It is a fact that you have a professional relationship with them. It is also obvious that you share a narrative with them and will push that narrative even if it means attributing false quotes to industry executives.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:17 AM

Quote:

Again your off topic BS ad hominem attacks only make your look petty and argumentative and unable to participate in a conversation without being rude and accusatory to posters or sources of information that you just do not like.

My comments saying your multiple attacks are overstated is hardly a crusade. That more appropriately describes your actions in blowing things out of perspective and attacking sources of information you do not like that do not agree in total with your own biases and assumptions.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:21 AM

Quote:
I have stated that you have a professional relationship with Home Media Magazine. You do.

You have stated as much in your interaction with sharing information that you use to publish here (and on other forums) and on them using information you provide to them to influence their publication.

It is a fact that you have a professional relationship with them. It is also obvious that you share a narrative with them and will push that narrative even if it means attributing false quotes to industry executives.
Its a fact that you also are rude and harassing in distorting the level of relationship I have with HMM or any other industry source or contact that I have or share with others here.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Again your off topic BS ad hominem attacks only make your look petty and argumentative and unable to participate in a conversation without being rude and accusatory to posters or sources of informatio that you just do not like.
If you stopped being Home Media Magazines representative on this site defending them even when they publish false information or excluding data that is presented by established and respected organizations like the LA Times or the Wall Street Journal you might have a point.

But as you act as their spokesperson, representing that they have sources (despite evidence to the contrary), it is relevant and expected for it to be presented that you indeed have a professional relationship with Home Media Magazine and a vested interest in supporting their views.

You could distance themselves from them, but you don't. Indeed, you choose to present and represent their journalistic views and credentials even as they publish false quotes from executives that were never uttered.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:27 AM

Quote:
If you stopped being Home Media Magazines representative on this site defending them even when they publish false information or excluding data that is presented by established and respected organizations like the LA Times or the Wall Street Journal you might have a point.

But as you act as their spokesperson, representing that they have sources (despite evidence to the contrary), it is relevant and expected for it to be presented that you indeed have a professional relationship with Home Media Magazine and a vested interest in supporting their views.

You could distance themselves from them, but you don't. Indeed, you choose to present and represent their journalistic views and credentials even as they publish false quotes from executives that were never uttered.
I represent no one but myself and I have no problem calling out you when its appropriate.

I also never will let you dictate to me what I say or how I say it just to limit the discussion and let your bullying tactics and assumptions dominate the discussion.

What has this to do with the article that you quoted from Home Media Magazine again to create this thread? You appropriately used them as a source even though you misleadingly failed to quote some of the article to distort it to suit your personal agenda. You just created this thread based on HMM reporting.

You are being hypocritical in the extreme to quote HMM reporting when you seem to think it is favorable to your agenda and then criticize me for stating that its a useful resource to the industry and our discussion here.