WSJ: "Wal-Mart for several years has been shrinking." it's disc space - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Banned

Default WSJ: "Wal-Mart for several years has been shrinking." it's disc space

(tried to put the whole quote in the thread title but it wouldn't dit)
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

Quote:
Walt Disney Co. said it will combine sales of DVDs with toys, apparel and videogames into one group, naming movie-distribution president Robert Chapek the new president of its consumer-products division.

By combining the sales forces responsible for DVDs and ancillary merchandise, Disney hopes to increase its clout with the big-box retailers such as Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and Target Corp. that dominate both categories.

In a statement, Disney Chief Executive Robert Iger noted the existence of a "more centralized" retail environment, and said Mr. Chapek would be tasked with implementing "a consolidated approach to retail resulting in a more efficient and effective organization."

By tying DVD sales to toys, Disney could try to retain shelf space for the discs, which Wal-Mart for several years has been shrinking. Wal-Mart has instead been emphasizing its online service, Vudu, as a way for its customers to watch movies. Under the Disney reshuffle announced Friday, digital distribution is to remain under the control of the movie studio.

Less than two years ago, Mr. Chapek was put in charge of a new combination of Disney's theatrical and home-video distribution groups. Now, theatrical distribution will again be split off and headed by Disney Studios President Alan Bergman, the company said. Mr. Chapek is 52 years old.

Under Mr. Chapek, Disney Consumer Products will be responsible for selling DVDs from the company's namesake movie studio, as well as Pixar Animation, Marvel Studios and the company's ABC television studio.

Packaged console videogames from the company's interactive media group will also now be sold by the consumer products group. Disney Interactive Media Group will continue to develop and produce its own titles, and to market its online games.

U.S. consumer spending on DVDs was down about 20% in 2010 from 2009, to $7.8 billion, according to IHS Screen Digest. That was 43% below a 2006 peak of $13.7 billion.

Sales of DVDs have been in steep decline for years, but still generate substantial revenues for movie studios. DVD and other physical retail sales represented 35% of aggregate studio revenues in 2009, according to an analysis by IHS, compared with 28% generated by theatrical distribution.

Long-time Disney Consumer Products Chairman Andy Mooney announced earlier this week that he was stepping down to pursue other opportunities
And yet another mention of shrinking OD at retail stores.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Banned

Amazing how HMM's article made no mention of shrinking space for OD or have poorly OD has been doing.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/dis...products-25018

Guess that's what happens when you have to only post good news.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:39 PM

Suck it, dvd fanboys. You are going down!!!!!
Old 09-11-2011, 01:57 PM

do you see how many threads you have on the front page right now Gizmo?
members are not allowed to spam the forums with so many threads.
This has been discussed in the past, and I have reported this to the mods.
It's like every little article you find any type of negative news on OD you rush to post a thread in this forum.
It's gotten totally ridiculous and I have no idea why HDD continues to allow you to post so many new threads every single day.
I will do everything I can to get you banned from HDD.
(just so you know)
Old 09-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
Suck it, dvd fanboys. You are going down!!!!!
When Sony fanboys can't find anything to say, attack another group.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
When Sony fanboys can't find anything to say, attack another group.
Oh, I'm sorry. You posted a dvd smackdown article, talking about the decline of dvd. I figured you created this whole thread to smack down dvd fanboys. You didn't?
Old 09-11-2011, 02:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
Hahaha. 6 threads total. Some old. Go for it. Kosty has 6 too. So please report him.

So sorry, you didn't like the news about Blu-ray space shrinking. Not surprised.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's like every little article you find any type of negative news on OD you rush to post a thread in this forum.
It's gotten totally ridiculous and I have no idea why HDD continues to allow you to post so many new threads every single day.
I will do everything I can to get you banned from HDD.
(just so you know)
That's fine. I'll quote this response so you can't change it later. Threatening to try and get someone banned is against forum rules.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:18 PM

I have no idea how saying that you would like to see someone banned because you believe them to be a troll could possible be against the rules.
the bottom line Gizmo is that imo you have gone too far in how you come to HDD every single day and post thread after thread with what you see as negative news about od.
simple as that.
I don't think there is a rule that says a forum member can't voice their opinion regarding someone they think is flaunting and breaking the rules of HDD.
I just know what I think--I think it is time for this game you have been playing to be over.
it's absurd and has gotten ridiculous.
you have been doing this for over 2 years, and imo you should be banned and thrown off this board forever.
that is my opinion, and I don't think there is a rule that says I can't state that.
I am not being rude or cursing.
I am just calmly saylng that I am astounded that HDD allows you to continue to post on this forum, and I don't think there is a rule that says I can't say that.
btw: please do post the rule that I am breaking.
please do.

Last edited by Arkadin; 09-11-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have no idea how saying that you would like to see someone banned because you believe them to be a troll could possible be against the rules.
the bottom line Gizmo is that imo you have gone too far in how you come to HDD every single day and post thread after thread with what you see as negative news about od.
simple as that.
I don't think there is a rule that says a forum member can't voice their opinion regrading someone they think is flaunting and breaking the rules of HDD.
I just know what I think--I think it is time for this game you have been playing to be over.
it's absurd and has gotten ridiculous.
you have been doing this for over 2 years, and imo you should be banned.
that is my opinion, and I don't think there is a rule that says I can't state that.
I am not being rude or cursing.
I am just calmly saylng that I am astounded that HDD allows you to continue to post on this forum, and I don't think there is a rule that says I can't say that.
btw: please do post the rule that I am breaking.
please do.
Go back to Blu-ray Software if you can't handle it. This is Smackdown. Perhaps you don't know what that means. I don't see you harping on Kosty for posting only positive Blu-ray news. But that's cool with you, right?