L.A. Times: "retailers have been shrinking the shelf space devoted to DVDs and BD" - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Banned

Default L.A. Times: "retailers have been shrinking the shelf space devoted to DVDs and BD"

L.A. Times:
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,6735270.story

Quote:
In an effort to strengthen its retail business, Walt Disney Co. has consolidated sales of toys, books, apparel, DVDs and video games under a single division to be headed by Robert Chapek, the newly named president of consumer products.

The former distribution chief for Walt Disney Studios will oversee an expanded consumer products group that will handle retail and licensing across the entertainment giant's businesses, from its film units Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Entertainment and Disney to the interactive media and television groups.

"The whole idea is to create more power with the retailers," said media analyst David Miller, managing director of Caris & Co.

Major retailers have been shrinking the shelf space devoted to DVDs and Blu-ray discs as they follow consumers to the Internet. Wal-Mart Stores Inc., which has made faltering attempts to sell music and movies online, is having recent success with its Vudu streaming service.

By combining various parts of its operations, Miller said, Disney is hoping to improve its retail sales and become "a one-stop shop for the Wal-Marts and all the big-box retailers looking for a place to go with all kinds of toys and consumer products."

Disney declined to comment on its consumer products strategy.

A Disney veteran, Chapek joined the company in 1993 and has been an internal advocate for new technologies and emerging forms of distribution.

During his tenure as president of Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, he was an early supporter of Blu-ray discs which many in Hollywood hoped would prop up home entertainment sales as DVD purchases began to wane and of 3-D technology for the home.

Chapek was promoted in November 2009 to president of distribution for the studio. In that capacity, he embraced a Disney initiative known as KeyChest, which enables the consumer to pay once for a movie and be able to access it on computers and portable devices. He also worked on such digital distribution initiatives as Disney Movies Online, which lets consumers buy or rent digital versions of Disney and Pixar films.

In his new role, Chapek will oversee the world's largest licensing operation, Disney Publishing Worldwide and the Disney Stores retail chain in North America, Europe and Japan. He also will be responsible for growing new businesses, like Disney's English-language learning centers in Shanghai and Beijing.
OUCH! Two huge negatives for Blu-ray and one positive for Vudu.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:58 AM

Wait I thought these guys said that this shrinking was all in your imagination? More bad times for team Blu.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
Wait I thought these guys said that this shrinking was all in your imagination? More bad times for team Blu.
I know. L.A. Times is just lying now, right?

Can't wait to hear the excuse "Well, when I posted that, it wasn't. But in the two days since, it's possible they started shrinking". Remember that classic line when we caught him in the 'retailers never, ever, ever return Bli-ray discs. Ever!!!!'?
Old 09-11-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
I know. L.A. Times is just lying now, right?

Can't wait to hear the excuse "Well, when I posted that, it wasn't. But in the two days since, it's possible they started shrinking". Remember that classic line when we caught him in the 'retailers never, ever, ever return Bli-ray discs. Ever!!!!'?
He and a few of his followers were the only ones that believed that nonsense. Not sure they even believed it. Probably just too hard for them to admit it. Can't wait to hear the creative excuses on this news. It's bitter sweet. I love seeing these guys look foolish. But it sucks to see OD hurting.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:07 PM

It must be the LA times or the WSJs "Premature Unfounded Pessimistic Assumption" that causes them to report this news.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
It must be the LA times or the WSJs "Premature Unfounded Pessimistic Assumption" that causes them to report this news.
Funny how his BFF's over at HMM failed to report on any of this:
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/dis...products-25018

You know, the article Kosty linked to. He picked the most positive.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:

Ya I saw that. You know HMM got their story from one of those articles. But they cherry picked the bad part about actual "Home Media" out of the story. Just like Kosty. He's a chip off the ol HMM block it seems.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ya I saw that. You know HMM got their story from one of those articles. But they cherry picked the bad part about actual "Home Media" out of the story. Just like Kosty. He's a chip off the ol HMM block it seems.
Wouldn't be surprised. It's why I like people like Mike who don't take things at face value and do a quick search to bring up the 'real' information. Why didn't Kosty link to L.A. Times or WSJ? Both deserve a thread as they tell more of the story.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:56 PM

Aw, look at the cute bro-fest going on this morning! How sweet!

So, have we asked for the source yet? We all know dvd sucks and is losing market-share, so no surprise there. Of course no one wants to buy old, inferior technology anymore. What source is he citing that blu ray is losing shelf space?
Old 09-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Banned

Quote:

Home Media Magazine will ALWAYS spin every story to make it look like OD (and OD replication) is wonderful, fine, dandy and never better.