Netflix Quietly Caps Streams Per Household - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:57 PM

Default Netflix Quietly Caps Streams Per Household

Quote:
Subscribers no longer can access streams on multiple devices from one account

Netflix during the Labor Day weekend quietly imposed a new policy that allows one stream per subscriber.

The new restriction comes as the Los Gatos, Calif.-based online disc rental pioneer bows streaming service across 43 Latin America countries, the Caribbean and Mexico.

Netflix heretofore has been largely indifferent toward the number of connected devices accessed its streaming portfolio. The company paid lip service to streaming caps with household access determined by the number of rental discs out at a time.

If you were on the one-disc plan you had access to one stream; two-disc plan, two streams, and so on. Netflix never actually restricted access as it pushed its streaming service and all but ignored physical rentals.

First noted by StopTheCap.com, a consumer-based broadband advocacy website, Netflix subs attempting access from multiple devices during the Labor Day weekend received a “streaming error” message explaining the new limitations.

With Netflix imposing a 60% rate hike on the combined streaming and physical disc membership options, subscribers seeking multiple streaming access in the home now will have to pay accordingly.

Two discs out at a time ($19.98 a month) will afford you streams on two devices, while the three-disc plan ($23.98) allows three streams, and four discs four streams from four devices at $29.98 a month.
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/net...ousehold-24984
Old 09-06-2011, 09:08 PM

Funny that Netflix doesn't seem so hell bent anymore on phasing themselves away from discs, like they did several months ago. First the comment from their spokesperson:

Quote:
“At $7.99 a month, we can’t be expected to have everything, and we provide an amazing DVD service,” he says. “If you want to see everything, you can subscribe to the DVD service, and you don’t have to subscribe to the streaming service.”
And now they encourage more disc out plans with this. Will miracles never cease...
Old 09-06-2011, 09:25 PM

Anyone who thought that streaming plans were going to be the total free-for-all they largely have been was dreaming. There was nothing stopping people from signing up for one account and sharing it with the whole neighborhood, aside from the risk of password sharing. Not wanting that is probably about the only thing the studios and Netflix agree upon.

Give it some more time and it'll be just as expensive, if not more so, than discs. At some point, actual caps on hours streamable per month is not completely out of the realm of possibility either.

But yes, it does sound like Netflix has realized they can't just abandon discs this year, like they may have wanted to.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Banned

They're doing it wrong, they should allow one account per external IP, so people living in the same house can watch concurrently.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:56 PM

So this is basically another price increase to consumers that were used to multiple streams in the household.

Does not seem to be a great way to build customer goodwill.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:59 PM

I'm sure Netflix's PR rep here at HDD will explain how this is actually a good thing very shortly.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingfan View Post
I'm sure Netflix's PR rep here at HDD will explain how this is actually a good thing very shortly.
It's not a good thing, not in the slightest. Streaming is endangered, EST is non- existent and OD is on the way out the door.
I said it before, the studios are in for some interestingly scary times. With revenue streams shrinking, and no option to market around the corner, what is to happen?
Old 09-06-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
This is not news. This is a biased attempt at deflecting the reality of optical discs and the cannibalization of unconsumed product that the consumer has not consumed because they are cannibalizing, trends and facts. Apparently, you do not understand. Therefore, I am right.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
So to access multiple streams you actually need to have a two disc out or more plan or you need a separate streaming account for each member of the household if you want to use multiple streams?

Ain't that like a 100% price increase for a household that was doing multiple streams before? or am I missing something here. I only use one stream at a time anyway on my account and never tried to see how multiple streaming at the same time would work. Or did streaming only plans without multiple disc privileges always be limited to one stream?
Old 09-06-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
This is not news. This is a biased attempt at deflecting the reality of optical discs and the cannibalization of unconsumed product that the consumer has not consumed because they are cannibalizing, trends and facts. Apparently, you do not understand. Therefore, I am right.
We all are too puny and stupid to understand the vast and powerful reasoning of the Netflix.
Closed Thread