Local Target reduced Blu-ray space for Spanish DVDs and TV on DVD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-05-2011, 11:29 PM
Banned

Default Local Target reduced Blu-ray space for Spanish DVDs and TV on DVD

They have now reduced Blu-ray space. They used to be two aisles, front and back (so one long aisle but you would have to walk around to see the rest). They are now two aisles, but side by side (so you can see all the Blu-ray facings with one walk through - opposite sides have DVDs and/or TV on DVD - Which has now increased to take up more space then Blu-ray itself). The two aisles are smaller then the others (by about 3 feet each side).

Here's a little design I drew up:
It 's now: (the x is me!)
! !
! !
! !
! x !
! !
! !

Instead of : (once again, X is me!)
!!
!!
!!
!!
!!
!!x
!!
!!

Also gone is the 'Family Section' that resided against the back wall. Those have now been mixed in with the other Blu-rays.

A "value" section has been added to Blu-ray sections, which showcases off some cheap Blu-rays, mostly by Warner.

But what took up all that extra space? Spanish DVDs. Yep, Spanish DVDs now hold about 1/4th the total space Blu-ray has taken up.

Of course, this is at my local store and I provide no pictures (but did include some awesome txt drawings) as such was not needed in the Costco thread to be believed as true.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:14 AM

This clearly means that English is a dying language as it's losing shelf space.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:14 AM

It also means DVD is making a comeback. Dying? lulskatez.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:17 AM

Gee I wonder why I saw Blu-ray just get a massive space allocation increase at my local Target in the Northeast region of the US?
Old 09-06-2011, 02:08 AM
Banned

Pretty much reinforces my "janitor" stereotype from the console forum, doesn't it now?
Old 09-06-2011, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_of_Sevens View Post
This clearly means that English is a dying language as it's losing shelf space.
I loled:joker:
Old 09-06-2011, 05:30 AM

I am reminded of the lyrics of a favorite song on mine.

"
...All lies and jest.

A man hears sees what he wants to hear see and disregards the rest..."

-Paul Simon, The Boxer

That is if the anecdotal observation here in the OP is even accurate to the actual change in facings or title inventory of Blu-ray skus on display or in inventory.

But its entirely possible if the local store there is in a very strong area where low income Hispanic households in Southern California might be a larger consideration than in most other USA regions as Walmart and Target certainly do change local store inventory and selection to the local situations.

But that probably is not projectable to most other parts of the US domestic market.

Quote:
I am just a poor boy.
Though my story's seldom told,
I have squandered my resistance
For a pocketful of mumbles,
Such are promises
All lies and jest
Still, a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest.

Last edited by Kosty; 09-06-2011 at 05:41 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:06 AM

I would also make not that even if the physical floor space was shifted to accommodate the special local Spanish language DVD section that was observed the actual number of Blu-ray facings or actual number of Blu-ray titles on inventory may have stayed the same or increased but just displayed in a different way.

I doubt that the OP did even a quick observation of the slots used or a look at the capacity of the store fixtures used for the Blu-ray inventory. Let alone a accurate look of what was there before any recent changes.

Anecdotally my local Target recently actually almost doubled its Blu-ray titles on display in the last month and now has over 600 full face slots on multiple isles including both a Blu-ray value section and a Blu-ray family section in addition to a dedicated new release Blu-ray section as well.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:13 AM

Of course this whole thread seems to be in response to my earlier comments of my local Target increasing its Blu-ray section recently.

Or the previous threads that were recently opened and closed about Target and Blu-ray on the same subject by the same OP.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/high...y-process.html

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/high...d-process.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
My local Target just shrunk its BD Section. Shall I start a new thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_9999 View Post
Your call. My local HMV just increased their Blu section. Actually, they doubled it because the entire row dedicated to Children's Movies has vanished and the entire thing is Blu. It really seems to be regional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
I would state then that you should show proof as I saw the regional plan for my area's Target and I doubt that my Target would be a outlier in doubling its Blu-ray space allocation and facings while others would be in decline.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Banned

Not surprised.

Anecdotal stories about positive Blu-ray news is a good thing.

Anecdotal stories about negative Blu-ray stories gets attacked.

Spin me a web!