What does Warner Bros really think of the PS3/BluRay - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-14-2007, 08:30 AM

Post What does Warner Bros really think of the PS3/BluRay

Taking a swipe at the Blu-ray stats that are bolstered by the number of PS3's sold, Steve Nickerson, senior vice president, high hefinition media at Warner Bros sates:

"These figures are especially important because the standalone player market is by far the biggest driver of movie sales in the long-term."

"This is simply because those who buy a standalone player are interested solely in buying and watching movies and other video content, whereas those with HD drives built into games consoles are primarily interested in games."

Now go ahead BluRay supporters and try to state how ignorant a SENIOR VP of HIGH DEF MEDIA AT ONE OF YOUR SUPPORTERS is. Now I know many of you college and high schoolers think you know about business, but take a page from one of your format's leaders and see what the industry truly thinks. Granted, PS3 adds sales to BluRay discs, but for how long? Is this only an inflated trend, or will it continue? The above quotes are from someone who makes his living in this industry and specifically on this format war...

Here is the link for the article:

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...vd-claim.phtml
Old 07-14-2007, 08:35 AM

Warner has always seemed to favor HD DVD. The studio has many titles which are HD DVD exclusive at the moment. Once BD-J support is mandatory in Blu-ray players that will probably change. But, I'm glad I don't have to wait for that.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:36 AM

Very interesting information.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:45 AM

Why is warner even trying to be "neutral"?? Seriously, they don't care about BR.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
Why is warner even trying to be "neutral"?? Seriously, they don't care about BR.
So why did they switch from being HD DVD exclusive to being neutral? Surely staying exclusive would have strengthened the position of their favoured format?
Old 07-14-2007, 09:17 AM
formerly "SpazMedicine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Banana View Post
So why did they switch from being HD DVD exclusive to being neutral? Surely staying exclusive would have strengthened the position of their favoured format?
$$$$$$$$$$
Old 07-14-2007, 10:13 AM
formerly Blu Christmas

It doesn't really matter what "Steve" says, Blu-ray is winning at the moment. And this guy needs to be fired if he doesn't think that PS3 owners are having an effect on Blu-ray sales. What a tool. It's because of short-sighted business managers like him that Blu-ray can come from behind and take the lead. I'm seriously in awe of this guy.

When I went looking for a Blu-ray player to buy, it was a no-brainer.
The PS3. I guess "Steve" doesnt' want to count my player, which is too bad since my Blu-ray disc purchases add to the nielsen ratings each week..

Very short-sighted indeed.

This is a fine example of Warner being "neutral".

Last edited by Cymbol; 07-14-2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Warner has always seemed to favor HD DVD. The studio has many titles which are HD DVD exclusive at the moment. Once BD-J support is mandatory in Blu-ray players that will probably change. But, I'm glad I don't have to wait for that.
BD-J is mandatory in all players, and have been since the beginning.
You are confusing it with the 1.1 and 2.0 hardware profiles.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
Like they are going to cut off 60-70% of their sales.

Last edited by AV_Integrated; 07-17-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:48 AM

The PS3 is just the start of the format war. It is there to compete with hd-dvd and get it's name in the public domain until blu-ray players will fall in price. That is when the standalones for blu-ray will take over.