Starz Says It Won’t Renew Giant Netflix Deal - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-01-2011, 05:51 PM

Default Starz Says It Won’t Renew Giant Netflix Deal

More at the link.
http://allthingsd.com/20110901/starz...-netflix-deal/
Quote:
Satellite TV provider Starz says it won’t renew its distribution deal with Netflix when it expires next February.

If the company follows through on that statement, it will mean Netflix won’t be able provide digital access to movies from Sony and Disney — a scenario Reed Hastings and company have been trying to avoid for years.

Here’s the statement from Starz: “Starz Entertainment has ended contract renewal negotiations with Netflix. When the agreement expires on February 28, 2012, Starz will cease to distribute its content on the Netflix streaming platform. This decision is a result of our strategy to protect the premium nature of our brand by preserving the appropriate pricing and packaging of our exclusive and highly valuable content. With our current studio rights and growing original programming presence, the network is in an excellent position to evaluate new opportunities and expand its overall business.” No comment yet from Netflix.

Netflix shares have dropped 9 percent in after-market trading after Starz put out its press release.
Time to open up that chequebook. They'll need premium payouts now.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:53 PM

And the Psound spin begins in 5....4.....3.....2....1....
Old 09-01-2011, 06:03 PM

I see this as more a posturing move than anything else. Starz wants to get paid and Netflix has the funds to make the deal work. Add in how UV/Disney Keychest (or whatever it's called) rollouts may affect physical sellthrough I believe Starz (and their studio partners) will probably take a wait and see approach for the next few months.

At the end of the day a deal will be brokered. Any Netflix deal signed, for far more than the original $30 million, will make an immediate impact to Starz's bottom line and in no way, even with posturing, will Starz turn down a potential billion dollar payday.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Banned

Amazing!

Obviously Starz has their own reasons, but it is hard to believe they are just going to leave money on the table. Especially since Disney's CFO was talking last year about the revenue boost from a renewal.

Quote:
The premium cable channel Starz said Thursday that it would not renew its closely watched distribution deal with Netflix, lending the online streaming service a major, although not entirely unexpected, blow.

The deal expires on Feb. 28, 2012. The Starz chief executive, Chris Albrecht, said in a statement Thursday afternoon that negotiations for a new deal had ended.

The distribution deal is significant because Starz supplies a bounty of hit movies and several TV series to Netflix, helping retain subscribers to the monthly streaming service. Starz controls the online distribution of Sony and Walt Disney films, so films from those studios would no longer be available on Netflix after Feb. 28, unless there is a change in Starz’s stance toward the service.

Mr. Albrecht said, “This decision is a result of our strategy to protect the premium nature of our brand by preserving the appropriate pricing and packaging of our exclusive and highly valuable content.”
http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.co...-with-netflix/
Old 09-01-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex Mentallo View Post
I see this as more a posturing move than anything else. Starz wants to get paid and Netflix has the funds to make the deal work. Add in how UV/Disney Keychest (or whatever it's called) rollouts may affect physical sellthrough I believe Starz (and their studio partners) will probably take a wait and see approach for the next few months.

At the end of the day a deal will be brokered. Any Netflix deal signed, for far more than the original $30 million, will make an immediate impact to Starz's bottom line and in no way, even with posturing, will Starz turn down a potential billion dollar payday.
I agree. Stars knows how to play the game. And Netflix has deep pockets. I think they will be back sooner than later.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingfan View Post
And the Psound spin begins in 5....4.....3.....2....1....
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound View Post
Amazing!

Obviously Starz has their own reasons, but it is hard to believe they are just going to leave money on the table. Especially since Disney's CFO was talking last year about the revenue boost from a renewal.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.co...-with-netflix/
Funny. I didn't see any spin there. Another bad day for one of these guys I see.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
I agree. Stars knows how to play the game. And Netflix has deep pockets. I think they will be back sooner than later.
Starz made $403 million in revenue in Q2 of this year. So they have about $1.6 billion in total revenue with 19 million subs.

Netflix has ~ 24 million subs and is expected to make ~ $3 billion this year.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:55 PM

There costs are going up though. That's the main reason Netflix likely had to increase prices so drastically upward.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
Funny. I didn't see any spin there. Another bad day for one of these guys I see.
Spin is pointless. The news is what it is.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Banned

The article has been updated with Netflix's response:

Quote:
Starz has been a great content partner since 2008 and we are thankful for their support.

While we regret their decision to let our agreement lapse next February, we are grateful for the early notice of their decision, which will give us time to license other content before Starz expires.

While Starz was a huge part of viewing on Netflix several years ago because it was some of the only mainstream content Netflix offered, over the years Netflix has spent more and more licensing great TV shows from all four broadcast networks and many cable networks, and we have licensed 1st run movies from Relativity, MGM, Paramount, Lionsgate and others. Because we’ve licensed so much other great content, Starz content is now down to about 8% of domestic Netflix subscribers’ viewing. As we add even more content in Q4, we expect Starz content to naturally drift down to 5-6% of domestic viewing in Q1. We are confident we can take the money we had earmarked for Starz renewal next year, and spend it with other content providers to maintain or even improve the Netflix experience.

We have tremendous respect for the Starz creative team, and we look forward to someday licensing some of their original or licensed content.
http://allthingsd.com/20110901/starz...-netflix-deal/