Star Wars Release - Will it make people buy BD Players who don't own one? - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: Will it make people buy BD Players who don't own one?
Yeah - Tons of people will buy BD Players in mass 0 0%
Some - It'll get a decent amount of people to go Blu 18 33.96%
No - It may get a few people, but it will be fairly small 33 62.26%
Star Wars? Nerds! 2 3.77%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Banned

Default Star Wars Release - Will it make people buy BD Players who don't own one?

Well, the time is almost here. With the release of STAR WARS on Blu-ray a mere few weeks away, will it's release suddenly make people who currently don't own a Blu-ray player go out and buy one?

Once again, this is not about current BD Player owners. This is for people who don't have a Blu-ray player, will see Star Wars on Blu-ray and go "OMG! I need a Blu-ray player" and will buy one.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Banned

No. It will sell software units, but not make any significant shift in hardware penetration.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:41 AM

We will know when we see how much of a big deal it will be in the Best Buy and Target weekly circulars.

The LOTR EE BD edition did give a noticeable bump up in HDTV sales and Blu-ray player bundles at Best buy for the first two weeks of its release. At least in seasonal terms for the middle of the summer. But that dominated the Best Buy circular for the week starting its first Sunday.

But obviously most of the people buying Star Wars on Blu-ray will be existing Blu-ray owners.

Is there even going to be a re release of the DVD versions or is this Blu-ray only like the LOTR re release?

With the information we have now, I voted No - It may get a few people, but it will be fairly small. I think it will be some amount of people, but its unlikely it will be a lot.

If it is a lot we probably will hear about it somehow.

Last edited by Kosty; 09-01-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
With the information we have now, I voted some.
You voted "No". More lies! :tongue:

Ray Von
Old 09-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Banned

Who cares really.

No matter what it does, someone (well a few) here will proclaim it to be a scam, the numbers are skewed, someone lied, blu ray is a failure, downloads rule, Netflix is the bomb, I have six cars in my driveway, who died and made you queen, blah, blah, blah. Same shit, different day.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:55 AM

I don't see any one single movie at this point in blu rays life that will ever drive a significant amount of consumers to buy into blu ray. Of course there will be some, but I think it will be negligible.

In my opinion, anyone who is a big enough star wars fan to invest in a completely new format to watch it in, will probably be highly pissed at the changes being made for these releases anyway and would skip it.

Also - most Star Wars nerds already bought into blu ray. It came with their ps3's.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Von View Post
You voted "No". More lies! :tongue:

Ray Von
Yeah, I noticed that the choice was labeled "No" there . I meant some people but probably not a lot and that was the "no" choice to the question.

Oopsie :redface:
Old 09-01-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboi999 View Post
Who cares really.

No matter what it does, someone (well a few) here will proclaim it to be a scam, the numbers are skewed, someone lied, blu ray is a failure, downloads rule, Netflix is the bomb, I have six cars in my driveway, who died and made you queen, blah, blah, blah. Same shit, different day.
You Blu koolaid drinkers care. That's for sure. If you don't care why are you still here?
Old 09-01-2011, 11:54 AM

I don't see it moving tons of hardware on it's own, but I see it being a big catalog seller for FOX. Especially into Q4 with the impending deals we will see.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:56 AM

If any one release can sell players? It's this one right? I can't think of another title that could move more players than this one. So it's pretty sad that even the hardcore Bluray guys don't have much hope anymore.