"...notably in Blu-ray": An honest HMM mistake or an intentional add-on quote? - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: An honest HMM mistake or an intentional add-on quote?
Honest mistake 4 19.05%
Intentional add-on "quote" (lie) 12 57.14%
Unsure, could be either 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2011, 08:20 PM

Default "...notably in Blu-ray": An honest HMM mistake or an intentional add-on quote?

Here is the original quote:

"We’ve been able to offset the negative comps with improved gross margins, notably in Blu-ray,” he said.

And here is the revision:

“We’ve been able to offset the negative comps with improved gross margins, [which includes Blu-ray],” he said.

The article in question:
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/tra...ons-2012-24833

And the Trans World Entertainment transcript:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/2883...all-transcript

Thread created primarily to provide dedicated further discussion of the topic, for those who wish to do so.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Banned

At this point it looks intentional.

We know that not only was the quote inaccurate, but that they continued to misrepresent the material released as part of Trans World Entertainment's earning cycle. They were more interested in telling a story than in reporting what was discussed and released during the earnings cycle.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:42 PM

Absolutely intentional and they got caught. Unless someone can show me the key on their keyboard that might have been accidentally hit? What's also funny is the fact that they changed it from "notably Bluray" to "includes bluray". That's kinda a 180 as well. Notably implies Bluray was the main factor. "Includes" changes that to not so notable. Probably did that so they could say "well we knew Bluray was part of it and that's why we originally included it in the quotes" that's the same kind of stuff we get from Kosty here where he adds his own personal opinion Bluray spin to his "data".
Old 08-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Banned

We all know it was an intentional lie. HMM is far from a trust worthy source anymore. Anyone defending the practice of adding additional words should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:55 PM

Thanks Bruce for creating this. Hopefully all the other threads won't be derailed now.

Does anyone know if there is an actual audio/video recording of the transcript? I checked TW's site and I know some companies keep them and of course they do not.

I don't really use seekingalpha much so can't say how accurate the information is on it.

I will say though if that's what was changed I can understand why so many are questioning HMM. But, at the same time, what do they gain with changing one sentence in one article? This is a trade industry magazine and not for the public. I just can't say for sure if this was an honest mistake or deliberate.

I know Lee has mentioned another mistake they made and I'm wondering what that one was.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:03 PM

I firmly believe it was intentional as well. They simply got caught in the act and providing a (partial) correction does not restore my faith in them as a trusted source of information. You reap what you sow and no amount of extraordinary spin or excuses will change that.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:13 PM

Well, when someone has some facts to show legitimate "lying" and "intentional" misleading, let me know.

Until then, I don't plan on condemning them outside of punctuation error.

Of course even if HMM came forth and said that they had additional verified sources that made the statement true, most of you(those who voted that they were "lying") wouldn't believe them anyways, would you?

P.S. Thank you for this thread.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Banned

Anyone interested in revisiting the situation can do so starting here: http://forums.highdefdigest.com/high...ml#post2224318

Lots of info on that first page, including links to written transcripts (http://seekingalpha.com/article/2883...all-transcript) and the audio (http://www.videonewswire.com/event.asp?id=81866) so individuals can confirm that the quote from Home Media Magazine was never stated.

For reference, here is the email alias that I used to discover from Trans World Entertainments CFO that the only information released regarding the impact to their gross earnings was in their earnings call: mailto:[email protected]

And yes, despite all this evidence there will still be people spinning that it was a "mistake".
Old 08-29-2011, 10:25 PM

of course we have this:

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/high...ml#post2224612

Quote:
I did get am email from HMM thanking me for spotting the error and saying that it was indeed additional information they had gotten from Trans World Entertainment to explain what the product was that that had the high margins.

They also said thanks for the head's up, that it was a mistake to use that phrasing and that it would be more correct to place in parenthesis (including Blu-ray) since Higgins didn’t actually mention the hi-def format. But that they had confirmed that Blu-ray was the high margin physical product that was the reason for that comment.

No doubt they went searching or digging for a bit of good news there or saw it as an opportunity to state how Blu-ray is helping retailers, but I am told the information is factually accurate now with the correction.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbert View Post
And as already stated multiple times, there is no proof Kosty talked to anyone at HMM. He refused to post an e-mail, screenshot etc. It's hearsay. If this was court, it would be thrown out. Using that as "proof" if laughable.