Local Costco Drops DVD Players Completely - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-25-2011, 12:34 PM

Default Local Costco Drops DVD Players Completely

I was walking through my local Costco the other day and was a little surprised to see that they no longer carry DVD players at all. They had 2 Blu-Ray players (Sony and Samsung) and 2 Blu home theater in a box setups (again, Sony and Samsung). In the video aisle, the Blu section is now the same size as the DVD section, too. Anyone else notice this type of thing? And wasn't this something that was predicted that the stores were just going to stop carrying the DVD players altogether in order to give consumers a push in the Blu direction?
Old 08-25-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_9999 View Post
I was walking through my local Costco the other day and was a little surprised to see that they no longer carry DVD players at all. They had 2 Blu-Ray players (Sony and Samsung) and 2 Blu home theater in a box setups (again, Sony and Samsung). In the video aisle, the Blu section is now the same size as the DVD section, too. Anyone else notice this type of thing? And wasn't this something that was predicted that the stores were just going to stop carrying the DVD players altogether in order to give consumers a push in the Blu direction?
It's a matter of time at this point. I think it was around 2001 or 2002 when VHS players started getting pushed out from stores so this seems about the right time. Next year we will likely see a bigger push for the removal of DVD only players.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:40 PM

The doom and gloomers are going to call foul on this and say it is a scam.....

It is inevitable for most retailers and CE's within the next 5 to 7 years.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Banned

Look at Ack. Already baiting. Nice to see you come back.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Look at Ack. Already baiting. Nice to see you come back.
We all know you're in nuclear meltdown mode after seeing this week's numbers. It's really funny to watch you crash and burn like this.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:44 PM
Banned

It's because no one wants Optical. Notice how many TVs are Internet connectable and how heavily they are pushed?

And since no one mentioned - you are also in Canada. There may be reasons. My local Costco is still about even between BD and DVD...and unless people here didn't know, BD players play DVDs too. Forcing consumers to spend more money is not a new thing.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggawhat View Post
It's a matter of time at this point. I think it was around 2001 or 2002 when VHS players started getting pushed out from stores so this seems about the right time. Next year we will likely see a bigger push for the removal of DVD only players.
Of course, he has no proof. This is anecdotal. Thread should be locked.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_9999 View Post
It is what it is.

I have been saying for some time that Blu-ray players attached to SD TVs is going to be a more common occurrence as folks pick-up BD players to replace failed DVD players. Both to be future compatible and to get access to streaming services.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggawhat View Post
We all know you're in nuclear meltdown mode after seeing this week's numbers. It's really funny to watch you crash and burn like this.
You mean the really bad numbers? Why would I go nuclear? BD is only up 12% YoY. It's beyond pathetic.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
You mean the really bad numbers? Why would I go nuclear? BD is only up 12% YoY. It's beyond pathetic.
You are going nuclear. Everyone knows it.