Remember how awesome BD-Live was supposed to be? It's all but dead now. - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Banned

Remember how awesome BD-Live was supposed to be? It's all but dead now.

When was the last time a studio released a Blu-ray that had any type of significant BD-Live support beyond Trailers for upcoming movies? No, really.

Remember when Disney was hyping Online Chats, Mail, Polls, Games etc? That was dropped years ago (and man, do I remember Disney talking this up like it was the next step in evolution).

Remember when Lionsgate was doing Mo-log where you could change scenes in the film and share them with all your BFF's?

Remember Sony's Cinechat? Chatting with friends while watching the movie? Woah!

Remember Warner's live commentaries during Watchmen, Dark Knight and...other movies?

Remember....well, Paramount and Universal never really did much with it besides the normal Trailers and random crap. Oh, yeah, early sneak peak of Transformers 2?

So aside from BD-Live being a joke, is it all but dead from studios? Did consumers just not care?
Old 08-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Very good! I never used it anyway, and I would never either.
They can kill DVD as well!

3D? :wink:
Old 08-21-2011, 07:01 PM

I never gave a crap about BD-Live or the equivalent feature for HD DVD when that was being hyped as an advantage during the format war. DVD had a very similar feature that was introduced soon after DVD's launch and that fizzled as well. Interest from consumers has historically never been shown for such a thing.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

BD Live morphed into the Netflix App - at least for the players

Last edited by Lee Stewart; 08-22-2011 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Correct spelling
Old 08-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
I never gave a crap about BD-Live or the equivalent feature for HD DVD when that was being hyped as an advantage during the format war. DVD had a very similar feature that was introduced soon after DVD's launch and that fizzled as well. Interest from consumers has historically never been shown for such a thing.
Since most DVD players didn't have an Ethernet (or phone) port, online for DVD would have been pretty useless. DIVX on the other hand...

DVD-ROM would probably be the BD-Live equivalent.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
Interest from consumers has historically never been shown for such a thing.
Perhaps the problem is that it has never been used creatively enough, in an artistically integrated fashion. There must be some talented people out there who could make good use of it.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:25 AM

I dont think Ive ever used BD-live. Got to the universal login screen. Said f- it never went back.
And more than a couple instances some bug in the BD-live server would make the movie stall or slow to load.

Companies will still try at the whole online interactivity thing though. For example.

I bet these new 'smart tvs' coming out now will probably try to do the same thing too.

Last edited by Elee s; 08-22-2011 at 04:29 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:42 AM

BD-Live except for a few things has proven to be low participation so the studios have no incentive to do much with it besides the stuff people do use it for like small games, updated content and trailers and the recent Sony apps with updated movie stats and facts on the actors or directors etc.

Tablets laptops and other online databases and content has just moved faster and better than was anticipated over 5-7 years ago when BD-Live was thought of and its not worth it to build much content and support it on a server when few people participate. Its better for the studio to create and support more general Internet based applications that a disc can access than develop specif unique BD-Live content for most titles.

BD-Live content makes sense for some titles but for most Blu-ray new or certainly catalog titles its not worth the effort.

Now BD=J advanced interactivity with some menus and options, like on some Sony or Disney titles is another matter as a lot of that can be reused from title to title and is useful during the movie.

But BD-Live stuff where you are using your Blu-ray remote to cludge through something to get a limited set of information off the Internet does not make a lot of sense when a consumer can use a iPad , tablet or laptop or smartphone to get better information with guardrails off the entire Internet instantly with an common interface they use all the time.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:33 PM

Is anyone actually surprised that BD-Live has degenerated into nothing more than a promotional portal for the studios? After all, that's exactly what happened to DVD-ROM content 10 years ago. The reality is that despite all the enthusiasm for the technology from the users of this site and the warnings of disgruntled customers complaining en masse that their profile 1.0 players wouldn't play the web content, when it came down to actually using the features, no one actually cared, not even most of the enthusiasts here. You only need to look at the traffic in the BD-Live subforum to see that.

I myself have only seen one compelling online feature so far, the streaming David Twohy/Vin Deisel commentary on Chronicles of Riddick. No signing up/logging in and no portal to load, it just appears on the bonus features menu if you are connected. Unfortunately I just don't realistically see studios adding worthwhile features like that very often after the discs have been sold, it just doesn't make sense to do that when they already have our money and they can just save the features for a later release to try and get us to double dip.

So no, although I do remember how awesome it was hyped up to be, I don't remember ever thinking it would actually be some fresh game-changing feature when this had all been done with DVD before.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Banned

BD-Live served its purpose by making sure Blu-ray was feature competitive with the other dead format, and the other format lost, so it was successful.

There really is no point to having online connectivity when all you want is to insert a damn disc and watch a damn movie without any interruptions or distractions.
Closed Thread