Infographic: Netflix by the numbers - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Banned

Default Infographic: Netflix by the numbers

Interesting bits:

Netflix streaming has access to 48% of movies that were in theaters in 2010

Netflix streaming has more than 51,000 movies and TV episodes available.

http://gigaom.com/video/netflix-by-the-numbers/
Old 08-12-2011, 11:38 AM

You know what I find amazing about this info? That the PS3 with a Bluray drive has higher Netflix usage than the 360, which has sold more consoles. That alone looks to me that even if someone has the capability to play a Bluray movie? They are not always using that function. In fact it looks like they are choosing to stream. And that makes sense knowing that Bluray has failed to inspire people to collect discs the way it hoped it would.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
You know what I find amazing about this info? That the PS3 with a Bluray drive has higher Netflix usage than the 360, which has sold more consoles. That alone looks to me that even if someone has the capability to play a Bluray movie? They are not always using that function. In fact it looks like they are choosing to stream. And that makes sense knowing that Bluray has failed to inspire people to collect discs the way it hoped it would.
Probably because the ps3 has the superior netflix play-back option. There is an extremely high number of people who have both a ps3 and a 360. Why use the 360 for netflix when the ps3 offers a superior experience?

Regardless - 7, 8 bucks a month for netflix streaming is a great deal and its pretty much no brainer as to its growth.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
Probably because the ps3 has the superior netflix play-back option. There is an extremely high number of people who have both a ps3 and a 360. Why use the 360 for netflix when the ps3 offers a superior experience?

Regardless - 7, 8 bucks a month for netflix streaming is a great deal and its pretty much no brainer as to its growth.
There are also a number of folks who bought a PS3 more for watching movies than playing games. I use my PS3 for about 95% movie watching and about 5% gaming. For a number of years, and it can still be argued today, the PS3 was one of the best Blu-Ray players.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
There are also a number of folks who bought a PS3 more for watching movies than playing games. I use my PS3 for about 95% movie watching and about 5% gaming. For a number of years, and it can still be argued today, the PS3 was one of the best Blu-Ray players.
Absolutely. I'd say during the first few years of the ps3 release, a pretty high percentage bought it specifically for movies. An extremely high number of gamers gravitated over to the 360, and you can see that remains true to this day when checking out npd and worldwide sales for consoles.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Banned

FYI... The latest data I saw was that the XBox 360 is used for purposes other than gaming 40% of the time.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound View Post
FYI... The latest data I saw was that the XBox 360 is used for purposes other than gaming 40% of the time.
Doubtful. It's a fine media server, but nowhere close to half the people who have them are using them for something else. Not only would I like to see a link, but I would like to see how that information was calculated.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Banned

Here is the info on XBox 360 usage:

Quote:
Just for starters, we’ve sold more than 53 million Xbox 360 consoles, and Xbox has been the top-selling console in the last year. There are more than 30 million Xbox LIVE members. And more than 10 million Kinects have sold to date.
Quote:
While people are still playing a ton of video games, 40 percent of all Xbox activity now is non-game. Put another way, we’re seeing an average of 30 hours of video consumption per month per Xbox, a number that is growing fast.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft...rtainment.aspx
Old 08-12-2011, 12:12 PM

Well, that makes sense and is believable. I thought you meant 40% of 360's are being used for something other than gaming, which would be hard to believe. But yes, playing a game for an hour a day and then watching two hours of netflix is perfectly logical.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:32 PM

All Netflix traffic:

30.57% PS3
24.94% Xbox 360
19.55% PCs (laptops?)

============

75.06% total of above three.

That leaves only 24.96% for all other Netflix enabled devices including tablets, iPads, Wii gaming consoles, Roku boxes , connected HDTVs and connected Netflix enabled streaming apps Blu-ray players?

That does not leave a lot of usage for Blu-ray players in that mix....

That still seems high to me for PS3s. But that's how I usually watch Netflix at night, through my PS3.

During the day on my laptop I can watch some TV shows and documentaries on occasion but my serious Netflix watching is through my old trusty 1997 era chubby PS3.