Warner to Bow UltraViolet Digital Locker With ‘Green Lantern’ and ‘Horrible Bosses’ D - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Arrow Warner to Bow UltraViolet Digital Locker With ‘Green Lantern’ and ‘Horrible Bosses’ D

Warner to Bow UltraViolet Digital Locker With ‘Green Lantern’ and ‘Horrible Bosses’ Disc Releases

Quote:
3 Aug, 2011
By: Erik Gruenwedel

Warner Bros. will launch its first home entertainment discs with cloud-based digital locker UltraViolet with the fourth quarter releases of Green Lantern and Horrible Bosses.

In an Aug. 3 analyst call, Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes said the majority of home entertainment releases thereafter would include UltraViolet functionality. The virtual locker automatically gives buyers a digital copy of a new home entertainment acquisition that can be accessed on myriad compatible consumer electronics devices.

UltraViolet along with Disney’s KeyChest platform is projected to reinvigorate home entertainment content sales.

Bewkes believes the recent acquisition of movie recommendation service Flixster will help sell UltraViolet. He said an updated version of the platform this week will be “deeply integrated” with UltraViolet.

“We believe this could fundamentally change how people manage and watch their movie collection,” Bewkes said. “And it could significantly improve the value proposition of digital ownership.”
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/war...sc-releases-24
Old 08-03-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
UltraViolet along with Disney’s KeyChest platform is projected to reinvigorate home entertainment content sales.
Hope the studio execs are ready for a cold shower. At best UV might help slow the rate of sales decay. No way will adding UV to movies "reinvigorate" content sales.

First they tried Blu-Ray with its far superior video, audio and special features capabilities; optical revenue still declined.

Then they started packing in Digital Copies with Blu-Ray; optical revenue still declined.

Then they started packing in Digital Copies and DVDs with Blu-Ray; optical revenue still declined.

Finally they started packing Digital Copies with DVDs; optical revenue still declined.

Wal-Mart has added its own spin by including VUDU credits on tons of movies; market still declining of course.

There's just less and less people that are interested in spending $20-25 to own a movie. Adding "Ultra Violet Copy" to the already crowded "Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy" lingo isn't gonna make people suddenly open their wallets more frequently. Everyone is renting $1 movies, streaming netflix or checking facebook all day because its absolutely critical to know every time one of their friends farts or sneezes. That's just the world we live in now.

Honestly, if studios truly expect UV to "reinvigorate" movie sales I fear for its fate. It won't do that, and when that becomes clear it will be viewed as additional overhead. They're not going to pay for eternal server and bandwidth space if profits don't get boosted.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Banned

Told you all a UV title announcement was coming soon

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/high...ml#post2211592

Quote:
We might get the first annouced title soon. should be interesting to see how consumers react.

Last edited by GizmoDVD; 08-03-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:19 PM

Great post (as usual), Philnerd. They can throw in the kitchen sink and sales will continue to decline. And facebook is a major time hog (even though I don't use it myself, I spend way too much time on the internet as it is, and consecuently watch fewer movies than before).

And really don't believe the studios are as optimistic as they're lettig on. It's just a last ditch effort that will fail. Can't fault them for trying, but the market is saturated beyond their control.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnerd View Post
Hope the studio execs are ready for a cold shower. At best UV might help slow the rate of sales decay. No way will adding UV to movies "reinvigorate" content sales.

First they tried Blu-Ray with its far superior video, audio and special features capabilities; optical revenue still declined.

Then they started packing in Digital Copies with Blu-Ray; optical revenue still declined.

Then they started packing in Digital Copies and DVDs with Blu-Ray; optical revenue still declined.

Finally they started packing Digital Copies with DVDs; optical revenue still declined.

Wal-Mart has added its own spin by including VUDU credits on tons of movies; market still declining of course.

There's just less and less people that are interested in spending $20-25 to own a movie. Adding "Ultra Violet Copy" to the already crowded "Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy" lingo isn't gonna make people suddenly open their wallets more frequently. Everyone is renting $1 movies, streaming netflix or checking facebook all day because its absolutely critical to know every time one of their friends farts or sneezes. That's just the world we live in now.

Honestly, if studios truly expect UV to "reinvigorate" movie sales I fear for its fate. It won't do that, and when that becomes clear it will be viewed as additional overhead. They're not going to pay for eternal server and bandwidth space if profits don't get boosted.
I think you pretty much nailed it. I can't blame the studios for trying though. DVD was a big money maker for them. But since we are told there were no expectations for Bluray to replace dvd? I'm suprised they didn't start including a DVD with every Bluray release from the get go. These studios heads must not be very bright.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Told you all a UV title announcement was coming soon
Yes you did. You sir are "In the know". I must be hanging with the wrong crowd because I had no clue this was coming.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Banned

Should have 2-3 more announcements this week (maybe next?).

The MSRP better not go up...
Old 08-03-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnerd View Post

Eventually sales will hit a bottom and start to increase again. The question is when will that bottom be hit?!?

They need to price UV to sell you are right that $25 is too high for many, while others continue to purchase.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Should have 2-3 more announcements this week (maybe next?).

The MSRP better not go up...
I know that would kill it for me.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Banned

My guess is that disc based media pricing will remain about the same, but we will see UltraViolet alone be priced lower.