Since Two Major Studios have delayed DVD Only SKUs does this mean BD is in trouble? - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: Delayed DVD Only release, BDs in DVD Style cases - Is Blu-ray in trouble?
Yes - Blu-ray should be able to sell without adding in DVDs or having the DVD Only SKU Delayed 6 22.22%
No - Blu-ray is doing just fine and adding in DVDs or delaying DVD Only SKUs is good 16 59.26%
I have no opinion 5 18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Banned

Default Since Two Major Studios have delayed DVD Only SKUs does this mean BD is in trouble?

Both Disney and Universal are doing something interesting with Blu-ray.
1. They are delaying the DVD ONLY SKU 28 days
2. They are packaging BDs inside DVD Cases (on release date) to get DVD Consumers to buy the "DVD Version" which includes not only a DVD Copy of the film, but 1-2 BD Discs. This will be counted towards BD Revenue and not DVDs.

Now that this practice has started on New Releases (major, not small titles like Buried), is it becoming more and more clear that Blu-ray can't sell on it's own merits and has to do things like delayed DVD Only release, BDs in DVD Style cases and adding in DVDs to every BD Release just to get into consumers hands?

The 3 releases announced so far are:
Pirates of the Carribean 4
Fast Five
Bridesmaids

All have the DVD Only SKU Delayed. All have the BDs inside DVD Packaging (with a DVD). All sales will count towards Blu-ray, regardless if they buy the DVD Style case.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:10 PM

BD is fine. The OD market in general is adjusting to the evolving tastes of consumers as those consumers spend less time in front of the TV and more time in front of the PC or iPad. They also must offer a better value than they have previously because cheap rental solutions like Netflix and Redbox devalue their retail product. As the landscape for Home Video changes, so much the products they offer.

The studios don't give a shit about formats. They care about dollars. The way they see it, they'll make more money this way. Given the profit margin is king, I don't see this as a problem. It won't be a problem until major studios start dropping support for BD. Last I checked, pretty much every new film gets a BD release. From my viewpoint as a dude who likes to watch movies, I could care less about sales numbers or retails SKUs.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:12 PM

Or does it mean that Blu-ray is doing so well that studios are starting to think that they can phase out the DVD only release and transition to a Blu-ray future.

Just as happened when studios transitioned from VHS to DVD.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post
Or does it mean that Blu-ray is doing so well that studios are starting to think that they can phase out the DVD only release and transition to a Blu-ray future.

No doubt Giz will deny that as a possibility since these combos are in a DVD case instead of a BD case. In fact, that's what this poll is hanging it's hat on.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post

Clearly you have not seen this years numbers. If you did, you would see why you saying blu-ray is doing so well is laughable.

And remind me - where can I buy some DVD/VHS Combo titles?
Old 07-30-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Where did he mention DVD/VHS combo titles? He was talking about phasing out one format in favor of another. He never specified the same practice was used in that transition.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:26 PM

Its just another unfounded pessimistic assumption here by GizmoDVD.

Blu-ray is now large enough as a consumer product category and has enough market share and household penetration that it now is less of a risk to delay or start to eliminate a DVD only sku for major releases.

This was not possible or would have been a much larger risk in the past when Blu-ray market share was smaller but now that Blu-ray is consistently above 30% new release market share and 50% or greater for action titles the risk is much smaller.

As opposed to GizmoDVD's premise its a sign of Blu-ray's success in new release sales that its possible for this to happen now. Although there is some risk of alienating laggard DVD consumers being forced to buy a Blu-ray+DVD combo instead of a DVD only version, that risk is lessened now as more and more consumers upgrade to high definition Blu-ray from DVD.

A Blu-ray+DVD case no matter what the case style serves both the Blu-ray and DVD consumer markets, makes more money for retailers and consumers as many consumers are willing to pay more, eliminates concerns of Blu-ray owners of playing movies in secondary players, mobile DVD players and in their minivans and kids rooms, and generates more profit at a small incremental cost of including a cheap DVD in the set.

It simplifies inventory decisions at retail and it reduces in the long run floor space for duplicate DVD and Blu-ray skus.

It was inevitable that Blu-ray would start to displace DVD only versions once Blu-ray's market share was consistently over 30% as that's historically been the tipping point for a next generation product displacing the older technology on store shelves.

Its a sign of Blu-ray success not a failure that it is happening now.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Clearly you have not seen this years numbers. If you did, you would see why you saying blu-ray is doing so well is laughable.
This years numbers to date do not include 2/3 of the sales for the year. 4Q and the high volume season is still ahead of us. Nor do the revenue figures you are clinging too account for poor theatrical releases, price point changes or the huge increase in unit sales volumes that will more directly translate into revenue growth in the fall.

You are like a desperate pessimist clinging to the past.

Quote:
You can't. That's because that would have been an idiotic product to introduce, Studios and retailers had every incentive to phase our expensive VHS tapes as soon as possible and a VHS tape and a DVD was not the same form factor. Blu-ray and DVD are the same size, fir in the same case and its very cheap to include an extra DVD in a Blu-ray case. Such was not the case for VHS.

Adding a DVD in a Blu-ray case also is a convenience factor for Blu-ray consumers who still own DVD devices. Blu-ray is now cheap enough as a hardware purchase that there is no longer much risk of a extra DVD in the set being passed around to eat up DVD sales.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:

Blu-ray has been mainstream for a long time now. It has been ever since I could pick up titles on Blu-ray at my local grocery store. I'm suprised to see after all this time that there are still people trying to argue against that in here.

Now what do you think studios want......a world where they have to release a DVD, Blu-ray and Blu-ray + DVD SKU. Or one where they only have to release 1 SKU. They are going to do that for now by having 1 SKU with a Blu-ray and DVD. Keep the people that are still using DVD happy by having it in the box whilst keeping the Blu-ray owners happy by having it in the box with the additional DVD which has proved popular.

It's yet another sign of how good Blu-ray is doing in the eyes of the studios that they are so compfortable combining them into one SKU like this. If Blu-ray were a failure they would never risk DVD sales by increasing the price with an unwanted Blu-ray in the box.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Banned

Default Since Gizmo posts here all day every day, does this mean his marriage is in trouble?

This the best you can do?

Desperation (and bitterness) really isn't very pretty.