Blockbuster to Keep Open 1,500 Stores - DISH has closed only 200 - 90% still open - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-24-2011, 12:16 PM

Default Blockbuster to Keep Open 1,500 Stores - DISH has closed only 200 - 90% still open

Quote:
Blockbuster to Keep Open 1,500 Stores

21 Jul, 2011
By: Erik Gruenwedel

Dish Network-owned rental chain shutters less than 200 stores since acquiring brand

Blockbuster LLC July 21 said it would continue operating 1,500 stores and employing 15,000 employees nationwide going forward.

The figure, which represents the first definitive store count since satellite TV operator Dish Network Corp. acquired the Blockbuster brand for $320 million in April, underscores the strength of traditional video stores despite ongoing market changes.

Indeed, Blockbuster LLC will continue to operate 90% of the stores it acquired in the asset sale.

“By lowering pricing and offering competitive summer promotions, we’ve brought millions of customers back into Blockbuster stores in the last three months to experience the best in convenience, choice and value,” said Michael Kelly, president of Blockbuster LLC. “Today, more than 100 million people live near a Blockbuster store.”

Indeed, Blockbuster has aggressively sought to compete directly with rental kiosks and Netflix by offering its Blockbuster Total Access subscribers unlimited in-store rentals on all titles, including new releases, video games and Blu-ray Disc without additional charges.

Kelly said Blockbuster store locations closing were due primarily to issues with landlords and not local market demographics. He said Blockbuster would seek alternative physical distribution channels in these areas.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blo...0-stores-24568
Old 07-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Banned

That's certainly cute they are going to try. We all know this will end with more closures in the future so it's just a matter of time.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
That's certainly cute they are going to try. We all know this will end with more closures in the future so it's just a matter of time.
Well for any to be open right now is more than I had expected.

But it certainly looks like DISH is going to indeed keep it going for a while and integrate it with the other DISH offerings. I've seen a lot of DISH promotions and advertising mentioning the Blockbuster tie in so they are committing to do it for a while.

Even if they someone began to think it was a disaster anytime soon, pretty much they are committing to this business for a couple of years now, just from the store lease options and consumer offers and tie ins. So pretty much under any circumstances they will try this out until the end of 2012 at the earliest I would suppose.

It also shows along with the rise of Redbox kiosks that some industry people certainly think think there is some years and years worth of mileage out of the DVD and Blu-ray physical disc rental rental business as well.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
Well for any to be open right now is more than I had expected.

But it certainly looks like DISH is going to indeed keep it going for a while and integrate it with the other DISH offerings. I've seen a lot of DISH promotions and advertising mentioning the Blockbuster tie in so they are committing to do it for a while.

Even if they someone began to think it was a disaster anytime soon, pretty much they are committing to this business for a couple of years now, just from the store lease options and consumer offers and tie ins. So pretty much under any circumstances they will try this out until the end of 2012 at the earliest I would suppose.

It also shows along with the rise of Redbox kiosks that some industry people certainly think think there is some years and years worth of mileage out of the DVD and Blu-ray physical disc rental rental business as well.
Well, in some cases, they can't get out of the leases, or they are far too expensive. If DISH has any hope of their online rental service succeeding, they need physical stores so they can have the "leg up" on Netflix. As it currently stands, Blockbuster is still losing hundreds of millions each quarter (i.e. now Dish). It's only a matter of time before they cut them loose. OD is not the future. Why DISH would jump in is just...silly. That's about as smart as someone opening up a CD Store.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:42 PM

Good to hear, since I dropped netflix down to streaming only and signed up with Blockbuster for blu-ray rentals via mail and unlimited in-store exchanges. Having one right down the road was the whole reason it's a more attractive deal that netflix, so hopefully it stays around for a while.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:54 PM

I have one 3 blocks from where I live but I never go there. I think what with the 28 Netflix window I may start going there to rent new releases right off the shelf again. It'll be like old times except more convenient because I pass right by it on my way home from work.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Banned

This was listed in a story in the LA Times about Redbox's CEO stepping down.

Listed it as kind of a triple-whammy for Redbox (CEO stepping down, missed revenue numbers for Redbox and Blockbuster keeping stores open with low disc prices).
Old 07-24-2011, 03:25 PM

I've always hated Blockbuster, but if Dish wants to give them another chance, I may as well too. Just got back from my store and I like the new pricing. $2.99 1 day for brand new releases, $1.99 for regular new releases (new catalogs or two month old new theatrical), plus on Sunday 49 cent rental on $1.99 titles.

Rented True Grit Blu-ray for 49 cents. Can't beat that.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
I've always hated Blockbuster, but if Dish wants to give them another chance, I may as well too. Just got back from my store and I like the new pricing. $2.99 1 day for brand new releases, $1.99 for regular new releases (new catalogs or two month old new theatrical), plus on Sunday 49 cent rental on $1.99 titles.

Rented True Grit Blu-ray for 49 cents. Can't beat that.
I do not have a location near me alas.

But that does sound like a better rental price structure than they had before that's competitive with Redbox or Netlfix Blu-ray rentals.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:29 PM

This is good to hear. I'm hopeful blockbuster can remain competitive and continue to exist. We need more not fewer options (and yeah I would prefer those mom and pop shops not get run out of business 10-20 years ago too) for rental- a Redbox/Netflix only world would be terrible.