Comcast CEO Brian Roberts Demonstrates 1Gbps Broadband and Next Gen Video Product - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-16-2011, 05:52 PM
Banned

Default Comcast CEO Brian Roberts Demonstrates 1Gbps Broadband and Next Gen Video Product

Quote:
Today, attendees at the NCTA Conference in Chicago got a glimpse at the future as Brian Roberts demonstrated some of the fastest broadband speeds and shared our next-generation television experience with them.

Brian downloaded the current season of "30 Rock" for the audience in about a minute and a half using the first ever 1 Gbps broadband speed download over a production HFC network. And for those of you who were doing the math, the current season of "30 Rock" has 23 episodes with a total run time of almost nine hours.
Quote:
Turning to the TV, Brian also introduced the crowd to Xcalibur, our next-gen IP video platform we've been developing that will enable us to bring consumers the future of television, faster. The first of the Xcalibur products is in a market trial in Augusta, Georgia and includes a completely new cloud-based user interface with advanced navigation and access to more content, including select online videos and apps delivered over IP.
http://blog.comcast.com/2011/06/comc...video-pro.html
Old 06-16-2011, 05:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
"In 2020, we will want more bits in and out of our homes and we will build that" says the CEO of the 1 Gbps speed. "I'm not sure what they will use it for, but I am confident that once we built it they will come."
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/C...oadband-114751
Old 06-16-2011, 07:43 PM

And to those who still think Bluray quality streaming will never be possible. You guys would have been laughing at the Wright brothers too. LOL!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
And to those who still think Bluray quality streaming will never be possible. You guys would have been laughing at the Wright brothers too. LOL!
Who said it would "never" be possible?

These network enhancements won't even matter until the service is affordable for consumers, and not until Netflix, Vudu etc actually are convinced they should increase the quality of their streaming. Just because it's possible doesn't mean they want to spend that money to do it... and if they do they're going to charge a premium for it.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:10 PM

2020, is that the timeline we're looking at? a little later than I had hoped but its a start.
Quote:
You were probably the one laughing at people buying cars cause you swear personal planes were just around the corner.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:31 PM

I still want my gosh darned personal jetpack.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Who said "never" be possible. Its inevitable.

Besides in 2020 all the Blu-ray Discs I own will still probably be higher quality or at least as good as the quality available on those big fat pipes and I will have owned and enjoyed most of them for a decade or more.

Double besides, just because the pipes can support it or its possible its not a given that streaming would ever get to Blu-ray quality for everything released on Blu-ray if there are no incentives to do so from a market perspective.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
Who said "never" be possible. Its inevitable.

Besides in 2020 all the Blu-ray Discs I own will still probably be higher quality or at least as good as the quality available on those big fat pipes and I will have owned and enjoyed most of them for a decade or more.

Double besides, just because the pipes can support it or its possible its not a given that streaming would ever get to Blu-ray quality for everything released on Blu-ray if there are no incentives to do so from a market perspective.
If you have any interest in understanding the mass market then you need to get off this "quality" campaign.

The mass market is not interested in "quality". The mass market is interested in convenience. As it always has been.

Years ago I posted in this forum that cheap and easy would win over "quality".
Old 06-16-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post
If you have any interest in understanding the mass market then you need to get off this "quality" campaign.
Where does his post say anything about picture quality having a direct bearing on sales?
Old 06-17-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

The mass market is not interested in "quality". The mass market is interested in convenience. As it always has been.

Years ago I posted in this forum that cheap and easy would win over "quality".
I like it that enough consumers do appreciate the higher quality to migrate and upgrade to it from DVD and to make the format a sustainable long term mass market success.

Blu-ray can "win" at the same time as other lower quality options like streaming grow over time. I for example use both all the time and I feel like I am using two winning marketplace solutions all the time.

In the future with super fast speeds common it gets easier to default to higher quality or to make it readily available as well.