Will 'Harry Potter' & 'Transformers' Stop Wall Street's Anti-3D Stampede? - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: Will 'Harry Potter' & 'Transformers' Stop Wall Street's Anti-3D Stampede?
Yes 6 31.58%
No 13 68.42%
I'm unsure.... 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Banned

Default Will 'Harry Potter' & 'Transformers' Stop Wall Street's Anti-3D Stampede?

Will 'Harry Potter' & 'Transformers' Stop Wall Street's Anti-3D Stampede?

http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/will...i-3d-stampede/

Quote:
Wall Street's backlash against 3D movies is growing serious. Just weeks after movie executives and investors wondered how well 3D films would do this summer, they've begun to ask much tougher questions including: When will movie theater chains begin to cancel orders for 3D projection equipment? And could continued weakening in ticket sales force AMC Entertainment to shelve its plan to go public and raise as much as $450 million?

Defenders of the technology are urging everyone to wait and see whether there's an uptick in 3D ticket sales for Paramount's Transformers: Dark Of The Moon, which opens July 1, and Warner Bros' Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, Part II, which opens July 15. The films should "help provide for a more positive outlook" for 3D in general and particularly for 3D technology company RealD, says Merriman Capital analyst Eric Wold.

But investors didn't appear to agree on Friday. RealD's stock price fell 13.2% to $20.90 the day after executives responded to the Street's concerns with talking points that simply urged people not to read too much into disappointing 3D sales for just a few films. RealD shares now have lost 41.3% of their value since May 19. "While management dismisses a change in consumer enthusiasm toward 3D, the public is speaking and 3D is simply being overused with ticket premiums far too high," says BTIG analyst Rich Greenfield -- who has a "sell" rating on RealD.

Exhibitors also are losing patience. Regal Entertainment's stock price is down 16.7% since mid-May. Cinemark is down 12.6% since this beginning of this month. "When 3D was first introduced the public got really excited," says Imax CEO Rich Gelfond. "But over time it's going to be on a movie-by-movie basis. In some cases it will work. And in others it won't."
Old 06-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Paramount's Transformers: Dark Of The Moon, which opens July 1,
That has been changed to June 29th. Paramount made that announcement on May 20th.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Banned

I won't be seeing either of these in Theaters, but will catch Transformers when it hits Blu-ray.

But it appears the 3D fad is fading. Both of these films would have been big with or without 3D.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
I won't be seeing either of these in Theaters, but will catch Transformers when it hits Blu-ray.

But it appears the 3D fad is fading. Both of these films would have been big with or without 3D.
I will definitely see TF 3 in a 3D theater. There has been a lot of good press about it's use and quality of 3D - as good or better than Avatar.

I am envious of those that can see it at an IMAX theater. None in my area.

Not a Potter fan so I will skip that one altogether.

Surprised that the article didn't mention Green Lantern. Guess they are focusing on tent pole movies.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
I will definitely see TF 3 in a 3D theater. There has been a lot of good press about it's use and quality of 3D - as good or better than Avatar.

Meh. Very few films get me into the Theaters. I do plan on seeing X-Men today because I got 2 free tickets. This is my second Theatrical film of the year (Scream 4 was the first). My next will be Breaking Dawn in November. I hate the Theaters.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:41 PM

Default Jeffrey Katzenberg weighs in on 3D's "heartbreaking" decline

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies....ecline-reuters

There has been an alarming dip in 3D grosses at the domestic box office this summer. The trouble started with Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides." For the first time, a majority of the audience opted to see a studio 3D picture in 2D. It happened again a week later with DreamWorks Animation's "Kung Fu Panda 2."

Without naming names, DWA chief Jeffrey Katzenberg, 60, says too many 3D movies from other companies have been more show than substance, leaving the consumer feeling betrayed.

The early ambassador for 3D opened up to The Hollywood Reporter about his concerns, and why he remains committed to the technology.

The Hollywood Reporter: Why do you think the number of moviegoers seeing films in 3D is declining rapidly in the U.S.?

Jeffrey Katzenberg: "I think 3D is right smack in the middle of its terrible twos. We have disappointed our audience multiple times now, and because of that I think there is genuine distrust -- whereas a year and a half ago, there was genuine excitement, enthusiasm and reward for the first group of 3D films that actually delivered a quality experience. Now that's been seriously undermined.

"It's not in any fashion, shape or form the demise of 3D, but until there are 3D experiences that exceed people's expectations, it's going to stay challenged." He predicts that Michael Bay's "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" will do just that.

"It's really heartbreaking to see what has been the single greatest opportunity that has happened to the film business in over a decade being harmed. The audience has spoken, and they have spoken really loudly."

THR: Do 3D tickets cost too much, especially for families?

Katzenberg: "Here's the thing: We are giving our audience a choice. We didn't take a plane and convert it to all first class. To people who say there is price pressure, or price sensitivity, even in the family market, I say, 'OK, that's why we have continued to support a 2D format and made sure that the 2D movie we're delivering today is better than the movie we delivered two years or three years ago.'

"Quite frankly, there's no industry in the world that doesn't attempt to move up the customer to a premium experience. I don't care whether you make shoes or wine or iced tea or cars, everybody tries to create multiple price points. So why shouldn't we be in the same business of offering our customers a premium experience at a premium price -- as long as we deliver them a premium value? If we cheat them, which is what has happened now too many times, then they'll walk away from it."

THR: Does international box office make up for the soft 3D market in the U.S.?

Katzenberg: "There is unprecedented growth going on. Here's a staggering statistic: We opened 'Kung Fu Panda 2' in 5,500 theaters, 4,000 of which were 3D. So in China, we had more 3D theaters than we had in North America. In international markets, 65 percent of the gross, or more, is coming from 3D screens."

THR: Do you have any plans to change your 3D strategy at DreamWorks Animation?

Katzenberg: "We're not the problem. We have made five films now in 3D and have built this amazing reservoir of knowledge and tools. Nobody else has made five 3D movies back to back. You can see the quality of the experience increasing with every film. The cost has gone down significantly for us the last three years, and there is still meaningful, incremental profit to us, even though the size of our audience has narrowed. On every account for us, 3D is a win. It's not nearly as big a win as it should be, and it's certainly not the win it was headed toward being, and that's really heartbreaking to me because we have managed to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory as only Hollywood can do.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:19 PM

That's a great interview with Katzenberg. I suppose I'll pick up kung fu panda on 3D Blu-Ray to see the quality that his studio is putting out. Oh wait, I can't. He's whored his home video 3D products to Samsung for what appears to be forever. Please stop complaining about the other studios Mr. Katzenberg; you have "disappointed" the home video "audience multiple times now". Practically every studio has talked up how 3D is the next big opportunity for increased revenue, yet they all find ways to hinder market growth with their short sighted money grubbing tactics.

<edit>
Voted "No". If wall street wants to beat up on 3D then that's what they'll keep on doing. Transformers and HP will just be written off as flukes if they do well.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnerd View Post
That's a great interview with Katzenberg. I suppose I'll pick up kung fu panda on 3D Blu-Ray to see the quality that his studio is putting out. Oh wait, I can't. He's whored his home video 3D products to Samsung for what appears to be forever. Please stop complaining about the other studios Mr. Katzenberg; you have "disappointed" the home video "audience multiple times now". Practically every studio has talked up how 3D is the next big opportunity for increased revenue, yet they all find ways to hinder market growth with their short sighted money grubbing tactics.

<edit>
Voted "No". If wall street wants to beat up on 3D then that's what they'll keep on doing. Transformers and HP will just be written off as flukes if they do well.
I know. I'ts pretty sad to see him talk about it when all Dreamworks animated goes to Samsung for an unknown amount of time (now 15 months exclusive for Monsters vs Aliens which is no longer even available as a bundle).
Old 06-11-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Not a Potter fan so I will skip that one altogether.

Surprised that the article didn't mention Green Lantern. Guess they are focusing on tent pole movies.
I'd certainly call Green Lantern a tent pole film. It's a possible franchise, huge budget type film. They're focusing on $300 million grossing tent poles.

I just picked up a 47" Vizio 3D LCD at Wally World today. I'm a fan of 3D and figured I'd make a fairly cheap investment to see how it is at home. I also am more interested in passive tech, which I'm sure will get better.

Anyways, I they just need to make better films in 3D. I think many fans had enough of Johnny Depp as a pirate, at least in the states. Thor has done pretty well, and Transformers and Harry Potter will be huge. Green Lantern and Captain America also have a shot at doing big business. Not to mention that all of these should have 3DBD releases and provide a boost to the format.

I mean, selection is extremely weak right now. I'm glad I bought a Panny 3D player so I can enjoy Avatar in a few weeks.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:32 PM

Split decision, but I voted yes because Transformers will stop the anti-3D stampede on its own.

Transformers is in 3D because of James Cameron's insistence. TF3 was shot in 3D. Everyone goes to Transformers for the spectacle. Bay shoots with layers already. Tons of CG, destruction, and epic, mobile camera operation.

Harry Potter is in 3D because some studio exec saw Avatar. Harry Potter was converted. People go to Harry Potter for the story and human characters. It will do so-so in 3D.

Avatar=Transformers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Harry Potter

Last edited by cakefoo; 06-11-2011 at 04:48 PM.