Netflix turns focus back to discs - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Banned

This same basic info was reported yesterday.

Again, it points to a price hike for discs:

Quote:
“Right now it is a couple of bucks more to get all the discs you want. There is some room in there to right that and put a little more focus on the DVD business.”
Old 06-03-2011, 12:24 AM

Default Netflix turns focus back to discs

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/net...ack-disc-24127

Quote:
Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos — who credits disc for helping Netflix make its foray into streaming — says the subscription rental service plans to turn its focus back to physical distribution

Netflix appears to be going back to its physical roots while it also amps up efforts to secure coveted subscription video-on-demand rights to movies and TV shows.

Speaking June 2 at the Numura U.S. Media Summit in New York, Sarandos reiterated previous-day comments from CFO David Wells that the service had been obsessed with streaming to the point that physical rental was “calmly running on its own” and taken for granted.

Sarandos said that even with a $2 monthly surcharge for physical rental compared with streaming-only, the value proposition of Netflix’s disc programs (which include streaming) remains so strong for the foreseeable future that management plans to revisit all facets of the business.

This includes increased marketing efforts in regions of the country with low broadband penetration that would be better served with a stronger disc rental option.

“Over the next couple of months (and couple of years) you’ll see us putting more focus on it,” Sarandos said. “Right now it is a couple of bucks more to get all the discs you want. There is some room in there to right that and put a little more focus on the DVD business.”

Netflix currently offers more than 100,000 disc titles and about 17,000 streaming titles.

Sarandos admitted that the streaming business has been built “on the back of the value proposition of DVD business,” which included using the revenue and profits of the DVD business to seed the streaming business.

“Without the success of the DVD business, I don’t think we would have had either the investment money or investment courage to put the money we were able to put into streaming,” he said.

The CCO said that reality is what is stopping some competitors from entering the SVOD market. He said creating a new business model on a per-sub basis and selling it to content owners is old school; there isn’t room for new competition in the subscription business.

“That train has left the station,” Sarandos said. “There is no reason for any content owner to take to a deal like that when there are real buyers in the space.”

Meanwhile, Sarandos criticized the brick-and-mortar industry for not pushing their advantage compared to Netflix. He faulted studios and retailers for not more aggressively pursuing 28-day delays on new releases, including organizing studio-wide participation and greater marketing efforts at retail.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound View Post
This same basic info was reported yesterday.

Again, it points to a price hike for discs:
Basic, perhaps, but certainly important enough to warrant its own thread.

And don't forget the first part of the quote you left out, which points to the company putting the focus back on discs, which is what this thread is all about.

Quote:
“Over the next couple of months (and couple of years) you’ll see us putting more focus on it,”
Old 06-03-2011, 12:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Basic, perhaps, but certainly important enough to warrant its own thread.

And don't forget the first part of the quote you left out, which points to the company putting the focus back on discs, which is what this thread is all about.
Yes, and the story from yesterday also talked about it only being an extra $2 for discs and the need to properly align the business with the disc costs. It is pretty damn clear that they are getting ready to position discs as an extra to their core business and price things in a way so that customers either drop the disc service or pay enough to cover the $.80 round trip cost of discs.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:22 AM
Banned

Up the price on discs all they want. $7.99 is all they get from me.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:04 PM

They'll get nothing from me until they start stocking discs that I want to rent. I'll be watching to see if they actually come through or if this is just talk.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
It's good that they want to focus more on discs for those without broadband. But those people are either in rural areas or behind the times. Also good for those that want to rent discs from them. Hopefully this will improve that part of their service. I'll stick with streaming.
Boy, you live in a fucking bubble. Let me guess, you either live in NY or Cali?

Ever think people without broadband think that what they have is 'good enough'.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:28 PM

It's good that they want to focus more on discs for those without broadband. But those people are either in rural areas or behind the times. Also good for those that want to rent discs from them. Hopefully this will improve that part of their service. I'll stick with streaming.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
Why does this forum keep doing this? Why cannot it not put posts in order.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:54 PM

Cool. I rent about 20 bd's a month from netflix for less than $30. I could care less about streaming. My daughter on the other hand.....

Edit. WTF is wrong with this message board? It even duplicates some words and cant be edited out.