HD DVD owns BD in the best HD of 2006!! - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 700
Default HD DVD owns BD in the best HD of 2006!!

Best HD of 2006

http://www.highdefdigest.com/feature...s_of_2006.html

Individual Catagory Winners

Best Transfer - King Kong (HD-DVD)
Best Catalog Title - Casablanca (HD-DVD)
Best Music Title - Phantom of the Opera (HD-DVD)
Best Overlooked Gem - The Matador (HD-DVD)
Best Exclusives - Fast & Furious Tokyo Drift (HD-DVD)
Best Animation - Monster House (BD)

HD-DVD - 5
BD - 1

HD-DVD takes 5 of the 6 catagory winners!


The Best Overall no particular order

Batman Begins (HD-DVD)
Bournce Supremacy (HD-DVD)
Casablanca (HD-DVD)
Devil Wears Prada (BD)
The Hulk (HD-DVD)
Mission Impossible 3 (HD-DVD & BD)
Ray (HD-DVD)
Superman Returns (HD-DVD & BD)
V For Vendetta (HD-DVD)
World Trade Center (HD-DVD & BD)

HD-DVD - 9
BD - 4

HD-DVD takes BD with 9 to 4 lead in best overall

Honorable Mentions no particular order

Fast & Furious Tokyo Drift (HD-DVD)
Seabiscuit (HD-DVD)
The Descent (BD)
Constantine (HD-DVD)
Casino (HD-DVD)
Superman The Movie (HD-DVD & BD)

HD-DVD - 5
BD - 2

Again HD-DVD wins with 5 to 2 lead in honorable mentions


Worst Transfers no particular order

Army of Darkness (HD-DVD)
The Fifth Eement (BD)
Taladega Nights (BD)
XXX (BD)
Christmas Vacation (BD & HD-DVD)

HD-DVD - 2
BD - 4

BD wins in number of bad transfers, something you dont want to win, lol


Dishonorable Mentions no particular order

Field of Dreams (HD-DVD)
Crash (BD)
Robocop (BD)
A Christmas Story (BD & HD-DVD)

HD-DVD 2
BD - 3

Again Sony beats HD-DVD in bad transfers!


Sure looks like a pwnage to me! Not a bad year for HD-DVD, not a bad year at all. They went from being the format that had absoltely no chance of beatiing BD to the consumer favorite and put out some amazing films and some amazing transfers this year. Sony and BD went from the sure winner to the you better improve or your outta here format. Thankfully they have improved and arent nearly as bad as they were out of the gate. However BD couldnt recover from their original blunders in time to take the majority of best of the year. Nope this year was owned by HD-DVD and this list shows that hands down!!

OC..

Last edited by OrangeCrush; 12-22-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,955
Default

Yes HD DVD, Toshiba and Microsoft have definitely won 2006 hands down.
Congratulations to them for having everything together when it most counted.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
Yes HD DVD, Toshiba and Microsoft have definitely won 2006 hands down.
Congratulations to them for having everything together when it most counted.
Wow Doby are you ok man? this is 2 days in a row now where you have had very rational, non fanboyish responces to something showing positive results for HD-DVD and negative results for BD.

OC...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-22-2006, 02:10 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,724
Default

Quote:
Yes HD DVD, Toshiba and Microsoft have definitely won 2006 hands down.
Congratulations to them for having everything together when it most counted.
This can only mean that my Red Sox will win the World Series next year!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-22-2006, 02:38 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Wow doby are you ok man? this is 2 days in a row now where you have had very rational, non fanboyish responses to something showing positive results for HD DVD and negative results for BD.
December 7th, 2006.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
Only a fool would suggest that Toshiba did not handily win 2006.

Like I said, only a fool, which I'm not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
This can only mean that my Red Sox will win the World Series next year!
There's more of a chance of the Leafs winning the Stanley Cup this year.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-22-2006, 02:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,348
Default

I've been saying this all along. Blu-ray is going to see more releases than HD DVD. But it seems to ME that the actual best MOVIES are on HD DVD. Studios just seem more selective. It seems every trash movie will be dumped on blu-ray.

That's why it's SO key for Disney to step it up for blu-ray. Disney is the ONE trump card they have as far as having a huge library of quality movies (from all of their boutique and mature studios as well).

For HD DVD, it's Universal. These two studios along with Warner Brothers need to step up not just the quantity, but the QUALITY of their releases

Was anyone really clamoring for Lethal Weapon from Warners? And where are the Hitchcock films from Universal. It's the holiday season. HD DVD owners would've scarfed them up!

And Disney missed a TON of potential blu-ray sales this holiday season by not putting the new Pirates of the Carribean movie out...it's one of the few movies that could actually sway people to buy blu-ray players. HD DVD has a ton of those already
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-22-2006, 03:01 PM
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkyLuv View Post
I've been saying this all along. Blu-ray is going to see more releases than HD DVD. But it seems to ME that the actual best MOVIES are on HD DVD. Studios just seem more selective. It seems every trash movie will be dumped on blu-ray.

That's why it's SO key for Disney to step it up for blu-ray. Disney is the ONE trump card they have as far as having a huge library of quality movies (from all of their boutique and mature studios as well).

For HD DVD, it's Universal. These two studios along with Warner Brothers need to step up not just the quantity, but the QUALITY of their releases

Was anyone really clamoring for Lethal Weapon from Warners? And where are the Hitchcock films from Universal. It's the holiday season. HD DVD owners would've scarfed them up!


And Disney missed a TON of potential blu-ray sales this holiday season by not putting the new Pirates of the Carribean movie out...it's one of the few movies that could actually sway people to buy blu-ray players. HD DVD has a ton of those already

Oh dude you nailed it on that call, where is Hitchcock? I would kill for Hitchcock on HD-DVD. Vertigo, Rear Window, The Birds, hell just release the full Hitchcock box set in HD and I am all over that. Personally I think the best thing Universal can do is concentrate on their catalog of titles instead of the newer releases. They also need to release the new Battlestar Galactica in HD. That show has a huge following right now and its the perfect kind of content for an HD upgrade. I think we will hear some good things soon from all of the HD-DVD studio's. They have been very quiet about 2007 so far and I think they did that on purpose. They will come out soon with some killer announcments, I have no doubt!!

OC...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-22-2006, 03:04 PM
eNoize's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
OThey also need to release the new Battlestar Galactica in HD.


That's all I have to say about that!

Oh, "Greatest American Hero," I'll jump all over that too.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Oh dude you nailed it on that call, where is Hitchcock? I would kill for Hitchcock on HD-DVD. Vertigo, Rear Window, The Birds, hell just release the full Hitchcock box set in HD and I am all over that. Personally I think the best thing Universal can do is concentrate on their catalog of titles instead of the newer releases. They also need to release the new Battlestar Galactica in HD. That show has a huge following right now and its the perfect kind of content for an HD upgrade. I think we will hear some good things soon from all of the HD-DVD studio's. They have been very quiet about 2007 so far and I think they did that on purpose. They will come out soon with some killer announcments, I have no doubt!!
OC...
All two of them!
Paramount and Warner will be releasing day and date throughout 2007 and Warner will be adopting lossless tracks on their future Blu-ray releases and intend to continue to set the bar on their HD DVD releases in audio by using more and more TrueHD tracks.
This is good news for ALL of us.

EDIT - if the announcements for HD DVD aren't killer at CES it will be a huge disappointment. When else would they announce them? September in Colorado?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-22-2006, 03:45 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 413
Default

Congrats to HD DVD for getting out of the starting gate first with a DECENT launch.

I am still not pleased that my player doesn't function as well as it should, and even less pleased I haven't seen any announcement of a firmware update and they are already releasing a G2 product. Fix what you have in the field FIRST Toshiba, then move on to your next generation product.

I am not pleased that we all were promised lossless 7.1 audio and haven't seen one movie with it. I was promised lossless 5.1 audio and have only seen a few titles released with it. If Toshiba doesn't live up to their promises quickly, it will be tough for me to support this format in the future. Just having a cheap player is going to cut it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IGN.COM - HD-DVD 2006-2008: The Rise and Fall of HD-DVD aiquoc High Definition Smackdown 5 02-18-2008 06:40 PM
The HD-DVD everyone owns? jroadley HD DVD Software General Discussion 53 10-15-2007 05:51 PM
Ok FOX, Blu-Ray dis-owns you! Go over to HD-DVD... now! Indy_aka_Rex High Definition Smackdown 12 09-04-2007 12:06 PM
Best Movie poster of 2006 nelll Film Forum 5 04-27-2007 12:24 PM
The Best (and Worst) of 2006 PeterB General Discussion: Both Formats 51 12-28-2006 03:22 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off