FCC: 26 Million Donít Have Broadband Access - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-26-2011, 07:24 AM

Default FCC: 26 Million Donít Have Broadband Access

Quote:
A report to Congress from the Federal Communications Commission estimates approximately 26 million Americans, most residing in rural areas of the country, donít have broadband Internet access, and that a full third of Americans, or more than 100 million, donít subscribe to broadband even when itís available.
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/dig...d-access-24055
Old 05-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Banned

Huge growth opportunity.

Like Comcast said this week when they announced that they would not be pursuing overage charges: "I don't know why we would disrupt a pretty good run we're having right now,".
Old 05-26-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound View Post
Huge growth opportunity.
Or a huge sign that to a vast number of Americans, high speed internet and by proxy streaming content are irrelevant.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAngles View Post
A tenant of mine has no computer and no internet access whatsoever. The thought boggles my mind.
Exactly.

And the growth in broadband subs that Comcast is seeing makes it clear that it is still a growing market.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:37 PM

A tenant of mine has no computer and no internet access whatsoever. The thought boggles my mind.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Huge growth opportunity.

Like Comcast said this week when they announced that they would not be pursuing overage charges: "I don't know why we would disrupt a pretty good run we're having right now,".
The question is, will they willing to spend billions of dollars to lay the lines for access to those people? I think most of those people live fairly simple lives and don't think it would make much difference to them. Plus, most of the younger people in those areas tend to move from those places.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggawhat View Post
The question is, will they willing to spend billions of dollars to lay the lines for access to those people? I think most of those people live fairly simple lives and don't think it would make much difference to them. Plus, most of the younger people in those areas tend to move from those places.
I think he's referring to the one third of Americans who have broadband available to them but don't subscribe.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggawhat View Post
If the broadband companies won't, the government will. Although I expect rural areas to go high speed wireless.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
If the broadband companies won't, the government will. Although I expect rural areas to go high speed wireless.
I agree, they will. It's far too costly to add the lines needed for them.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
You can already get wireless "high speed" internet in most rural areas, but it's expensive and most people who live out there don't care enough to pay for it anyway.