Target Remodels - and reduces stock of DVD and Blu-ray in the process - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Banned

Default Target Remodels - and reduces stock of DVD and Blu-ray in the process

With most Targets dumping the Garden section last year, they are now remodeling some of them to include a full-fledged grocery section (which is fantastic). In the process, they are moving things around, and stream-lining the shopping process. But they also did something that will shock and amaze people - they reduced the DVD/Blu-ray/CD stock.

Now, I leaded off with a very open ended question to see if someone would respond in detail before I posted:

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/high...ml#post2180260
Quote:
Have you been to the remodeled Target stores yet? Don't want to scare you yet so I'll wait for some other people to chime in on the...nahh.
Which comixguru replied with:
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/high...ml#post2180358
Quote:
All my local Targets moved the media section to the very back of the store, middle of the back wall. They nuked optical disc. They took out 50% of DVD and took out a small part of Blu-ray. BR has the same amount of sides/aisles... they are just shorter rows. With the smaller overall section, BR lost two previous end-caps as well. CD got even smaller... although that's hard to imagine as it was already tiny.

On the plus side, the electronics clearance section was literally packed with Blu-rays and DVDs marked down... and they added a real grocery section. The selection of movies plunged, but now I can pick up my ground turkey and a tub of Skippy Natural that could last a year along with the latest new release.
But how could that be? We were told several times that retailers were thrilled with Blu-ray, but to reduce space?

My reply (after confirmation from a neutral party):
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/high...ml#post2180360

Quote:
And there we go!

Same happened at mine. All of them (in my area), actually. The stores are being remodeled to have a bigger grocery side (which is fantastic!) and Electronics is pretty much where it is in most Wal-Mart (center of the back - where sporting goods used to be in Target). My Target now carries more iPad/Kindle/Xoom etc. products. Guess they are 'getting with the times'.

And OD takes yet another hit in retai. Don't worry, the 'pictures or it didn't happen' posts will happen soon enough. But I don't think even Kosty can spin a reduction in OD (and Blu-ray) into a good thing.
Anyone else get a remodeled Target and notice the OD difference? And if they are infact reducing OD stock, that pretty much proved OD is on it's way out the door. So far, no one has responded in that thread (which has spun off-topic), and since this news is big enough, I started a new thread.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:16 AM

I haven't been to target for awhile. I might stop in this morning and check it out. I have seen the Bluray section shrink at my Costco and SAMs club. Not only that prices seemed to have gone up. Lots of 21-28 dollar titles. They are on crack if they think they are going to now raise prices on Bluray. I've also stated in another thread that I noticed my Bluray section is smaller now at my best buy. I wrote it off that maybe they were going to focus more on online retail? The section is always empty so I can see them wanting to maybe cut back. DVD is usually pretty slow as well. Not as bad as the Bluray section but still. That's a lot of space to take up. I'll get back to you on my Target.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
I haven't been to target for awhile. I might stop in this morning and check it out. I have seen the Bluray section shrink at my Costco and SAMs club. Not only that prices seemed to have gone up. Lots of 21-28 dollar titles. They are on crack if they think they are going to now raise prices on Bluray. I've also stated in another thread that I noticed my Bluray section is smaller now at my best buy. I wrote it off that maybe they were going to focus more on online retail? The section is always empty so I can see them wanting to maybe cut back. DVD is usually pretty slow as well. Not as bad as the Bluray section but still. That's a lot of space to take up. I'll get back to you on my Target.
My Costco reduced space for Blu-ray as well in the past few weeks. I go every 2 weeks and last time they had several $7.99 BDs which were replaced with DVDs with a pink border around them (Mothers day?)
Old 05-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Banned

Nothing's changed at my Target. They did close the garden center (not sure what's going in but definitely not a food area) and added the Pizza Express to the front. Electronics actually grew a bit and the BD section has added space because the cd's were reduced.

Wonder why things are always different in Gizmoland? Seems like an odd area where some retailers are hiding BD's behind appliances, Target reducing their electronics to move cheap food, HD DVDs sprouting up at food stores, Blockbuster's closing left and right, stacks and stacs of BD players throughout store aisles collecting dust. Either he lives in Eureka, or it's one of those economically depressed areas that one hears about and nobody can afford BD's?
Old 05-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
If everybody can afford Bluray then why is it failing to be embraced by consumers the way DVD did? Why is adoption so slow? Why is it that there is still a large percentage of HDTV owners that still have not upgraded to Bluray at these affordable prices?
I don't know. Why don't you tell us why.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:50 AM

If everybody can afford Bluray then why is it failing to be embraced by consumers the way DVD did? Why is adoption so slow? Why is it that there is still a large percentage of HDTV owners that still have not upgraded to Bluray at these affordable prices?
Old 05-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Banned

And it looks like someone missed their calling. With their incredible skills at writing such sensationlistic headlines and gripping investigative skills, they should have become a writer for The National Enquirer. Truly a talent wasted.

I know I'm wasting my time asking, but it would sure help if some evidence was presented about Target reducing their optical media, especially bd media. A picture, a news article, something.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Why is it that there is still a large percentage of HDTV owners that still have not upgraded to Bluray ...
Why is it that the majority of off-air content viewed on all of these HDTVs is in SD?

Could it be that we are in *gasp* a transition period between broadcast and viewing standards?
Old 05-22-2011, 01:10 PM

The two targets I shop at have more Blu-Ray products this year than ever.

Way to create yet another utterly BS, non-factual, "Doooom" thread Gizmo.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by luclin999 View Post
The two targets I shop at have more Blu-Ray products this year than ever.

Way to create yet another utterly BS, non-factual, "Doooom" thread Gizmo.
Non-factual? Isn't that was most everyone's posts here are? Youre just mad Target is kicking BD to the curb. Has yours been remodeled?
Closed Thread