Itís Like Cord-Cutting, Only In Reverse: Big Cable Keeps Adding Broadband Subs - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-18-2011, 12:39 PM
Banned

Default Itís Like Cord-Cutting, Only In Reverse: Big Cable Keeps Adding Broadband Subs

I have noted this phenomenon. Even when a cable co reports lost video subscribers, they almost always note nice gains in broadband subs.

The margin that the cable cos make on broadband subs is very nice, and they are not at the mercy of affiliates driving up their prices.

And what do you think is driving folks to higher priced cable broadband? One guess, and no it isn't Facebook.

Quote:
Get a cable company guy comfortable enough to talk candidly about cord-cutting, and heíll concede that yes, maybe, perhaps itís true: Some folks may indeed be getting their video from the Web instead of a cable box.

But! Even if thatís the case, theyíll add, those cord-cutters arenít really cord-cutters: Theyíre still tethered to a cord that brings them the Web, which the cable guys supply, too.

And here they absolutely have a point. While most cord-cutting stories focus on disappearing video subscribers (mea culpa), they almost always ignore whatís happening to the number of broadband subscribers. Which keeps growing.

In Q1 of this year, for example, the biggest cable and telco companies added 1.3 million broadband subs, a bump of about 1.8 percent. Thatís not go-go growth, but itís plenty healthy, especially since broadband subs are particularly profitable for Comcast et al.
http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/2011...roadband-subs/
Old 05-18-2011, 01:32 PM

Haha ya. It is the same with the phone companies complaining about land line losses and how that was justification for cutting back employees. Reality was that those people went to a higher priced cell phone service which the phone company owned. And upgraded to a higher priced service for Internet. Both bringing in more revenue than the extra line or two that used to go to the kids room.

These customers may cut back in one area and spend more in another. And these companies will try to justify cuts or increases. Corporate greed at it's best.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:20 PM

3Mbps plans would also be considered 'broadband.'

At this point the only people cord cutting are most likely those that pirate their content.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:31 PM

Broadband is constantly growing in this country. Is it really a surprise that when a new county, city or neighborhood is finally offered broadband that they actually purchase it?

And as far as I can recall, the whole cable cord-cutting thing is not happening.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
Broadband is constantly growing in this country. Is it really a surprise that when a new county, city or neighborhood is finally offered broadband that they actually purchase it?

And as far as I can recall, the whole cable cord-cutting thing is not happening.
Cord cutting, as in people choosing to drop cable/satt, does not appear to be happening en masse. What does appear to be happening is that less folks are signing up. The trend appears to be kids in college using the internet for their entertainment (including streaming) and not seeing the need to add cable when they move out.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound View Post
Cord cutting, as in people choosing to drop cable/satt, does not appear to be happening en masse. What does appear to be happening is that less folks are signing up. The trend appears to be kids in college using the internet for their entertainment (including streaming) and not seeing the need to add cable when they move out.
Well, yes, tech-savvy college kids realize that getting cable internet into their house allows them to bypass cable in favor of legitimate streaming, pirating, and splitting the co-ax feed at the router and getting basic cable anyway.

All for the low-price of 39.99

makes perfect sense to me.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Until Netflix or someone starts getting streamed sports included, your not gonna see people cut the cord en masse.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzor77 View Post
Until Netflix or someone starts getting streamed sports included, your not gonna see people cut the cord en masse.
I currently get ESPN3 via the XBox and Comcast and do not have a video service subscription. :-)
Old 05-18-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I currently get ESPN3 via the XBox and Comcast and do not have a video service subscription. :-)
What's the live sports offered on ESPN 3 compared to ESPN 1 & 2? So your subscribtion to Comcast for Internet gets you free access to ESPN 3?....wish we had access like that up here in Canada.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
That's nice if you already have an Xbox and paying the $5/month for Live. Not to mention ESPN3 isn't really the sports channel that mainstream USA watches. I can watch ESPN3 on my computer since I have Verizon, but the quality, even at 4 full squares, is lacking.

I'll also expect Comcast to crack down on that. My gf currently unfortunately has Time Warner Cable with only an Internet plan. When we tried to access ESPN3 from the website, we had to sign up with her account number, and then it didn't allow us to watch ESPN3 through the web because the website said espn3 through the web was only for people who had a cable TV plan and not just internet.