Lionsgate Bows Ambitious Blu-ray Disc Rollout of Miramax Catalog - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Banned

Default Lionsgate Bows Ambitious Blu-ray Disc Rollout of Miramax Catalog

Quote:
Lionsgate April 15 will formally acquire retail control of 180 titles from Miramax, the famed independent studio founded by Bob and Harvey Weinstein.

The global disc and digital distribution agreement — first announced in February — encompasses more than 550 titles, including Pulp Fiction, The English Patient, Shakespeare in Love, Chicago, Good Will Hunting, Life Is Beautiful, Kill Bill Volumes I and II, and No Country for Old Men, among others.

Initial titles already released on Blu-ray, VOD and electronic sellthrough include The Switch March 15, and Scream, Scream 2 and Scream 3 March 29 — the latter three to coincide with the Scream 4 theatrical release April 15 by The Weinstein Co.

Santa Monica, Calif.-based Lionsgate plans to release about four Miramax titles per month separately on DVD and Blu-ray (no combos planned yet) with enhanced audio and visual resolution, and new special features on select releases, according to Ron Schwartz, EVP and GM of Lionsgate.
Quote:
Schwartz, who believes the new owners of Miramax aggressively are seeking to distribute the catalog across multiple platforms domestically and internationally, said titles released on Blu-ray typically energize sales of the DVD as well.

“DVD is still a very big part of the library business,” he said.
Quote:
Lionsgate also is seeking to create a larger digital footprint — one that will mesh with the studio’s Miramax packaged media campaign during the next two years, according to Jim Packer, president of worldwide television and digital distribution.

Packer said the studio’s offerings of digital titles in high-definition on iTunes is “actually pretty good.” He said the emphasis for Miramax would be on electronic sellthrough compared with transactional VOD.

While acknowledging that EST sales industrywide have lagged, he said the jury is out as whether the issue involves title selections, platforms or both.

“We’ve seen some very good growth with Vudu,” Packer said. “And I do not think we would have seen the same growth had Walmart not bought it. Look at the eyeballs they can promote to.”
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/lio...-catalog-23673
Old 04-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Banned

Sadly, the first three films Lionsgate has release, the Scream Trilogy, suck major ass. These are decade-old masters with ported DVD extras (not even the bonus disc from the Trilogy release from 7 years ago). The Picture Quality has dirt, scratches, marks etc. Honestly, it's an embarrassment. These felt more like Echo Bridge titles then Lionsgate who has done some spectacular catalog releases (My Bloody Valentine was optioned from Paramount).

I hope they were the exception to the rule. Mirimax has some amazing catalog titles that Disney never felt the need to release on Blu-ray in nearly 5 years (Alliance released some).
Old 04-14-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Schwartz, who believes the new owners of Miramax aggressively are seeking to distribute the catalog across multiple platforms domestically and internationally, said titles released on Blu-ray typically energize sales of the DVD as well.
That should encourage them to release more over time then.

Quote:
Lionsgate plans to release about four Miramax titles per month separately on DVD and Blu-ray (no combos planned yet) with enhanced audio and visual resolution, and new special features on select releases,
Any increased release of Blu-ray catalog titles from any source is certainly appreciated. Thats good news.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:06 PM

always good to hear about increased catalog releasing, and this announcement represents a lot of titles.
unfortunately I have 0 faith in Lionsgate to release these bds with any real competence.
they are 3rd rate and always have been.
thank god most of the "biggies" are already out in good versions overseas.
The whole Miramax situation has been a total debacle so far, and I don't anticipate much improvement.
I'm sure a few titles will be ok, but the majority will likely be based on old dvd masters.
Blu-ray continues to be a format in need of far more dedication on the part of many of the distributors.
Too many of them just don't give a rat's ass about even minimal pq quality, and it's a real shame.
I wish I felt like things will improve, but I just don't see many of these sub-par labels ever really changing.
(granted, the suppliers of the third rate materials are just as at fault)
This is a great opportunity to finally release many of these films properly, but looks like it isn't going to happen.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:18 PM

The only issued I'd have would be the state of Miramax's masters. Lionsgate is a solid company when it comes to blu ray. The licensed catalog stuff they handle, on the other hand, can be hit or miss. Jade and Near Dark are two titles that are extremely over processed with what I assume is some sort of noise reduction. Jade in particular - you could just tell that master was in a vault collecting mold over the past 14 or so years.

I'm hopeful Lionsgate can make a go of it. Pretty smooth of 'em too to leverage the Miramax catalog into future streaming deals.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
That's an interesting phenomenon and I have to wonder how/why that occurs. I can only speculate.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0mi View Post
That's an interesting phenomenon and I have to wonder how/why that occurs. I can only speculate.
Its because the DVD versions also get placed out on retail shelves again in prominent placements when a new to Blu-ray version is released. Or when people without Blu-ray players see it and want it on DVD.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:20 PM

A lot of that first wave is already out on BD. I already have Kill Bill 1&2, No Country For Old Men, etc.

I'm not getting Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown, because I already have the imports.

And No Country has already been issued TWICE, so no on that triple dip.

Last edited by cheez avenger; 04-14-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:33 PM

I was wondering why it showed Kill Bill as being released shortly. I checked and I knew I had bought the on BD before.
Are the newer Kill Bill discs any different than what was released before?
Old 04-14-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I was wondering why it showed Kill Bill as being released shortly. I checked and I knew I had bought the on BD before.
Are the newer Kill Bill discs any different than what was released before?
Unless its the Whole Bloody Affair I'm passing on it.