Premium VOD: Will Studios Blink First? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-13-2011, 10:16 PM

Default Premium VOD: Will Studios Blink First?

Looks like this is going to get squashed early...

Quote:
Following another underwhelming weekend box office, studios and theater operators appear resolute on a faceoff in the coming weeks over premium video-on-demand (VOD) – a standoff some observers believe studios will back away from.

Movies Just Go With It (Sony Pictures Home Entertainment), Hall Pass (Warner Home Video) and The Adjustment Bureau (Universal Studios Home Entertainment) are reportedly set to bow later this month on DirecTV for $29.99 – just 60 days after their box office debuts.

With Sony now apparently reconsidering offering Adam Sandler’s comedy Just Go With It weeks before its June 7 retail disc date, according to Los Angeles Times’ columnist Patrick Goldstein, others say the budding release window could be stillborn as studios second-guess alienating exhibitors.

Eric Wold, director of analyst with Merriman Capital in San Francisco, said the studios have the most to lose forging ahead with premium VOD in light of the fact they have fronted much of a movie’s production and marketing costs. He believes those studios determined to roll out premium VOD (notably Warner) would concede rental splits to exhibitors.

“We believe studios have the most to lose from either reduced movie awareness (trailers, posters, etc.) or absolute boycotts of individual films [by theater owners AMC, Regal and Cinemark],” Wold wrote in a note.

The analyst said such a stance could ultimately produce improved rental margins for theater owners. Wold believes just a 1% improvement in film rental costs could generate $22 million in pre-tax earnings for Regal, $17 million for Cinemark and $4 million for Carmike. Film rental costs among the top four exhibitors represent 53% to 55% of admissions revenue, the analyst said.

“We would not be surprised if premium VOD plans are curtailed (e.g., limited to non-blockbuster or independent films) or abandoned completely after all is said and done,” Wold wrote.

Studio representatives were not immediately available for comment.

Regardless, Goldstein said introduction of the nascent premium VOD window would sow the seeds of uncertainty among a moviegoer already confronted with recessionary spending habits and evolving home entertainment options, such as $1 kiosk disc rentals and Netflix streaming.

“Trying to get consumers to pay more to see a film 60 days out isn’t a new window of opportunity,” Goldstein wrote. “It’s just a bad idea.”
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/vod...nk-first-23624
Old 04-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Banned

Unless it's available Day and Date when the movie hits Theaters, I doubt many people will care. They will just wait an additional 30-45 days till it hits DVD or BD, or go the normal route which the teens are already doing.

Theaters are just mad because people don't want to pay $13 to see crappy movies with people talking on cellphones and babies crying. I'll be going to the Theater for the first time this weekend since last July - only because I got 2 tickets for $9 and I want to see the film. Even when I get free tickets they just get tossed.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Unless it's available Day and Date when the movie hits Theaters, I doubt many people will care. They will just wait an additional 30-45 days till it hits DVD or BD, or go the normal route which the teens are already doing.

Theaters are just mad because people don't want to pay $13 to see crappy movies with people talking on cellphones and babies crying. I'll be going to the Theater for the first time this weekend since last July - only because I got 2 tickets for $9 and I want to see the film. Even when I get free tickets they just get tossed.
Its costs a small fortune to go see a movie now days. When you factor in a drink for everyone in your family and a popcorn, you almost have to take out a small loan.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:09 AM

Last film I saw in the theater was No Country For Old Men. I have no desire to go back. But paying $30 for a one time rental is just fucking retarded.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
Last film I saw in the theater was No Country For Old Men. I have no desire to go back. But paying $30 for a one time rental is just fucking retarded.
Since I have the option to invite a half dozen friends over and watch it on my 108" screen, so long as what they offer is a high bit rate, HD presentation a $30 price tag is very reasonable for me.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Theaters are just mad because people don't want to pay $13 to see crappy movies with people talking on cellphones and babies crying.
Yes my collection of free tickets is piling up. It's just so unpleasant to go the theater. Home theater FTW!
Old 04-14-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:

My girlfriend and i don't go to the movie theater as often as we used to. We used to average about one movie a week. Now it's around one or two a month. But when we do go, we go to the showing before noon. Which is only $6. That combined with the rewards that AMC has, really makes it alot less expensive.
And with the AMCs in our area switching more projectors to digital recently(in addition to the Imax lite and the theaters they used for 3D), and improving the sound systems, the experience for audio and video quality has been better than ever.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:29 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Magnolia Bows VOD Movies Prior to Theatrical Release

Quote:
With much of the industry abuzz about plans by several studios to release select movies in a nascent premium VOD window on DirecTV 60 days after their theatrical bow, Magnolia has six titles available now and pending for VOD across most digital platforms, including Amazon VOD, AT&T U-verse, Charter, Comcast, Cox and Cablevision (the same day as theaters); DirecTV and Dish Network (one week before box office); and PlayStation 3 Store, Time Warner Cable, Xbox 360 Marketplace, Vudu and FiOS TV.

The VOD releases include 13 Assassins, Hobo with a Shotgun (with Rutger Hauer), Troll Hunter, Black Death, Ceremony with Uma Thurman and French comedy Rubber.
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/mag...-release-23666
Old 04-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

NATO Denies Encouraging Members to Boycott Films in VOD Dispute‎

Quote:
The National Association of Theatre Owners is denying press reports that it is encouraging its members to stop showing films released by Universal, Sony, Warner Bros and Fox, which have agreed to a new Premium Video On Demand service.

The Guardian and Business Insider reported this week that NATO is threatening to drop some of the summer's biggest blockbusters, including the upcoming Harry Potter movie. But the group issued a statement Thursday calling the reports "completely false," adding that "no one from the organizations responsible for the stories contacted anyone at NATO."

NATO insists “individual theater companies must and will make decisions about release window changes in their own company’s interest" and that it cannot and will not make those decisions for them, the statement concluded.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...boycott-178645
Old 04-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Magnolia Bows VOD Movies Prior to Theatrical Release

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/mag...-release-23666
Vudu currently has several of those titles up (Hobo with a Shotgun, WTF is that?). I've actually rented a few of those films before (Timer, Freakanomics) for $10.99 (IIRC) before they hit Theaters (if they even did - some were only in select).