Jackass 3.5 - DVD version available everywhere! Blu-ray version Best Buy Exclusive - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Banned

Thumbs down Jackass 3.5 - DVD version available everywhere! Blu-ray version Best Buy Exclusive

http://thehdroom.com/news/Jackass-3....ease-Date/8786

Quote:
Jackass 3.5: The Unrated Movie starring Johnny Knoxville, Bam Margera, Steve-O, Chris Pontius, Ryan Dunn, Jason "Wee Man" Acuna, Ehren McGhehey, Dave England and Preston Lacynever made it to theaters, but it will be traveling to Blu-ray and DVD on June 14.

The DVD version of Jackass 3.5: The Unrated Movie will be available in stores everywhere, but the Blu-ray version will be exclusive to Best Buy brick-and-mortar stores and BestBuy.com.

Jackass 3.5: The Unrated Movie includes over an hour of bonus features with 30 minutes allotted to exclusive deleted scenes and bloopers. Other bonus features include 'Jackass: The Beginning' and 'Jackass European Tour.' Tech specs are predictable 1080p video and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio. As with the first Jackass 3 Blu-ray release, there will be no Blu-ray 3D version at this time.
Paramount once again showing it's lack of support for Blu-ray. Not only did they not release a 3D version of the film on Blu-ray (we got a a crap DVD conversion as a bonus), but they are now making the Blu-ray version exclusive to Best Buy.

Someone please explain this to me. I thought Blu-ray was replacing DVD? Guess it's becoming clear that Blu-ray is not the savior of OD.

And for reference sake, the Blu-ray version sold 40% to DVDs 60% it's first weeks on the chart. So it's not like it was a bad seller.

Quote:
But on Nielsen’s dedicated Blu-ray Disc chart, the little deer outmaneuvered the human wackos, retaining its No. 1 spot for the second consecutive week. Jackass 3 bowed at No. 2, with 40% of its week-one sales coming from the high-definition disc.

Jackass 3, which grossed $117.2 million in theaters, outsold several other new releases. Anchor Bay’s The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season debuted at No. 2 (No. 3 on the Blu-ray chart), while Lionsgate’s The Next Three Days, a crime drama starring Russell Crowe that grossed $21.2 million in theaters, debuted at No. 5 (No. 4 Blu-ray). A third new release, Paramount’s Morning Glory ($31 million), with Harrison Ford, debuted at No. 8 (No. 12 Blu-ray). Walking Dead benefited from Blu-ray, which accounted for 45% of total unit sales, high for a TV show.
Guess we will all have to travel to Best Buy to pick up this title which garnered 40% for Blu-ray on opening week and included a DVD (3D!) and Digital copy with it (along with a vanilla Blu-ray version).

Last edited by GizmoDVD; 04-11-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:04 PM

Im glad this is being released. Hooray for Best Buy. They do many exclusives. I remember when the Star Trek series was released on DVD the only store in town with the extra disc was Best Buy. They had it exclusively. This carried on I believe thru the entire release schedule of the five series.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
http://thehdroom.com/news/Jackass-3....ease-Date/8786

Paramount once again showing it's lack of support for Blu-ray. Not only did they not release a 3D version of the film on Blu-ray (we got a a crap DVD conversion as a bonus), but they are now making the Blu-ray version exclusive to Blu-ray.

Someone please explain this to me. I thought Blu-ray was replacing DVD? Guess it's becoming clear that Blu-ray is not the savior of OD.

And for reference sake, the Blu-ray version sold 40% to DVDs 60% it's first weeks on the chart. So it's not like it was a bad seller.

Guess we will all have to travel to Best Buy to pick up this title which garnered 40% for Blu-ray on opening week and included a DVD (3D!) and Digital copy with it (along with a vanilla Blu-ray version).
Yea I would hope the Blu Ray version would be exclusive on Blu Ray.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:48 PM

So paramount is showing lack of support because Best buy paid alot of money so you cant order from amazon.

Makes sense.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:49 PM

Ugh. I hate when Best Buy gets an exclusive. They pissed me off with the clusterfrak that was the Billy Joel exclusive release (thankfully we can get the disc from Amazon now) and I really have no use for them.

So... yeah. F Best Buy.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elee s View Post
So paramount is showing lack of support because Best buy paid alot of money so you cant order from amazon.

Makes sense.
If that's what you want to think, sure.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:55 PM

lol so what is it?

Is it this?
Jackass 3.5 is a bestbuy exclusive because it's becoming clear that Blu-ray is not the savior of OD.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:05 AM

Paramount must've been impressed with blu-ray sales to "abandon" the format and re-release the title release another edition 3 months later in the same "abandoned" format.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0mi View Post
Paramount must've been impressed with blu-ray sales to "abandon" the format and re-release the title release another edition 3 months later in the same "abandoned" format.
It's not a re-release if it's like what they did with Jackass 2/2.5. 2.5 was a whole new movie with all new footage (shot while they were shooting Jackass 2.) I'm assuming Jackass 3.5 is the same way - a bunch of extra footage shot for Jackass 3 that didn't make the cut for the original film.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:50 AM

Explain the logic to me again???

How is releasing something as a retailer exclusive not supporting Blu-ray?

By definition, a retail exclusive means its valued enough by a retailer for them to pay or somehow arrange to have those exclusive rights. By what logic is that a bad thing or indicative of decreased support?

Besides, Paramount is already significantly increasing its Blu-ray new release and Blu-ray catalog release pace this year compared to last year. Its already about half of its 2010 total and will surpass that with its scheduled releases within a couple months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Paramount once again showing it's lack of support for Blu-ray.
Once again, you are overreaching and exaggerating things by ignoring other data and making pessimistic assumptions.

Paramount is showing increased support for Blu-ray in other ways, including a increased pace of 2011 releases and its a thin reed to state that a retailer exclusive deal shows lack of support.