Hulu Plus expected to have over 1 million paying subs in 2011 -(1Q 2011 rev up +90%) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-05-2011, 01:39 PM

Default Hulu Plus expected to have over 1 million paying subs in 2011 -(1Q 2011 rev up +90%)

Maybe streaming Criterion titles is a good thing after all.

Quote:
Hulu Plus to Exceed One Million Subscribers in 2011

Text
By JESSICA E. VASCELLARO

Hulu LLC's subscription video service will surpass one million subscribers in 2011, chief executive Jason Kilar said in a blog post Monday.

Mr. Kilar also reiterated that the company is on track to approach $500 million in revenue in 2011, up from $263 million in 2010. Its first-quarter revenue grew 90% from 2010.

The news indicates that Hulu's efforts to build a second revenue stream are progressing, even as it faces heightened competition from Netflix Inc., Amazon.com Inc. and others. Netflix had 20 million subscribers at the end of last year, a growing number of whom are steaming titles online.

Hulu is owned by News Corp., Walt Disney Co., Comcast Corp.'s NBCUniversal, Providence Equity Partners and Hulu employees. News Corp. also owns The Wall Street Journal.

Hulu launched the $7.99 per month Hulu Plus in November, after an earlier preview period, in a bid to diversify its revenue beyond online advertising. The service offers access to previous seasons of a variety of popular television shows, along with access to current shows not included in its free offering. Hulu Plus subscribers can also watch some new episodes days before non-paying users can. The subscription also allows users to access Hulu on iPads and televisions that connect to the Internet.

The service has helped Hulu score content that media companies were unwilling to distribute in exchange for just a cut of advertising during the episodes.
Earlier this year, Viacom Inc., a Hulu holdout, made episodes of current shows, including "Jersey Shore," available to Hulu Plus subscribers 21 days after they air.

The news comes as Hulu and its media company owners are in ongoing discussions about how much content they are willing to supply to the site and on what terms. The owners hope to renew their contracts in the coming months, people familiar with the matter said.

Write to Jessica E. Vascellaro at [email protected]

Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...#ixzz1Ifg4R6eT
Old 04-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Banned

Good for them!

Looks like there is a strong market for more than one subscription streaming service.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
Maybe streaming Criterion titles is a good thing after all.

Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...#ixzz1Ifg4R6eT
FYI... I wouldn't give too much credit to the Criterion deal.

It basically mirrors what they were saying BEFORE the Criterion deal.

Quote:
The market is responding: we expect to approach half a billion in total revenues (advertising and subscription combined) in 2011, up from $263 million in 2010, which was up from $108 million in 2009.
Quote:
Our subscriber count will pass 1 million this year,
http://blog.hulu.com/2011/02/02/stew...-future-of-tv/
Old 04-05-2011, 05:59 PM

I was actually kidding about the Criterion deal. (Hence the wink )

I think even if it had an impact eventually it would be too early to tell. But even though I think the Criterion addition to Hulu Plus is a great deal for us enthusiasts and a nice addition to Hulu Plus and a great move for Criterion, I don't think it would have a huge impact on subscriber numbers this soon.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
I was actually kidding about the Criterion deal. (Hence the wink )

I think even if it had an impact eventually it would be too early to tell. But even though I think the Criterion addition to Hulu Plus is a great deal for us enthusiasts and a nice addition to Hulu Plus and a great move for Criterion, I don't think it would have a huge impact on subscriber numbers this soon.
It obviously did not impact their projections either.

I agree it was a good move for consumers, etc. But I pointed out when the deal was announced that it would likely not have a material impact on the subscription market.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:01 PM

My biggest complaint about Hulu Plus is that the free Hulu has may titles not available on the paid-for Hulu Plus.

Completely irritating.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:46 PM

My biggest complaint about hulu is that it isnt in canada.