Netflix Site, Streaming Down - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-22-2011, 09:43 PM

Default Netflix Site, Streaming Down

Love me some Netflix right now.... oh wait I cant...

Quote:
Spokesperson Swasey says Netflix 'working fast and furious' to fix problem

Netflix’s website and streaming capability continued to be out of service in the late afternoon and early evening March 22 after unexpectedly malfunctioning.

“We are currently experiencing issues with both our website and streaming movies,” said an automated message at the Los Gatos, Calif.-based online disc rental pioneer’s consumer hotline. “We are working to resolve this problem as quickly as possible.”

With more than 20 million subscribers — the majority stream content — the prospect that technical issues materializing on its numerous networks isn’t surprising.

While the website’s issues do not affect disc shipments (other than the ability to monitor rental queues), the mishap does represent somewhat of another embarrassment to Netflix’s status as a digital driver of home entertainment.

Indeed, the inoperable site marks the fourth time Netflix.com has been down for an extended period since last October.

Netflix spokesperson Steve Swasey said the issue was being dealt with.

“We’re working fast and furious to bring it back for all to enjoy as usual,” Swasey said.
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/net...ing-down-23405
Old 03-22-2011, 09:46 PM

Its been stumbling for a couple of days now. Finally went down completely.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Banned

Umm...ok. Thanks for letting us know?
Old 03-22-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Umm...ok. Thanks for letting us know?
Your most certainly welcome. Anytime.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:23 PM
Banned

Weird. Actively streaming from Netflix right now via 360 without issue.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound View Post
Weird. Actively streaming from Netflix right now via 360 without issue.
Looks like its back up now.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschupp View Post
Looks like its back up now.
Cool!

I almost never visit the Netflix site now, so I wasn't sure if it was just the website and streaming was still working. Sounds like both were impacted.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:34 PM

Yikes. Not working off my PS3 either.

I hope Netflix streaming gets to be more reliable over time as momentary outages will be just shrugged off over consumers but if growth seems to come at the price of reliability then its going to generate some consumer backlash that will not be good.

For consumers that have started to rely on Netflix streaming to replace cable as their primary entertainment option (or DVD viewing) Netlfix needs to seem to be about as reliable as cable or sat viewing. Consumers hate cable outages with a passion and serious reliably issues over time would be a very bad thing if they started to be more common and noticeable for Netflix streaming subscribers.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

I hope Netflix streaming gets to be more reliable over time as momentary outages will be just shrugged off over consumers but if growth seems to come at the price of reliability then its going to generate some consumer backlash that will not be good.

For consumers that have started to rely on Netflix streaming to replace cable as their primary entertainment option (or DVD viewing) Netlfix needs to seem to be about as reliable as cable or sat viewing. Consumers hate cable outages with a passion and serious reliably issues over time would be a very bad thing if they started to be more common and noticeable for Netflix streaming subscribers.
Maybe, just maybe people will peel themselves away from their screen during these outages and realize yes there is a world out there. Life is beautiful!....Doubtful
Old 03-22-2011, 11:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

Worked fine for me earlier when I was watching some Crank Yankers on my iPhone. But that was only 35 or so minutes today. Wound up watching some Hulu instead.

I would think Blu-rays not playing and/or waiting for firmware upgrades would be more troublesome, but I guess Netflix being down for a few hours is bigger? I can't imagine people depend soley on Netflix for their entertainment, especially when there are DVDs, Blu-rays, other streaming services etc.