The storage capacity of SDXC flash memory is now higher then BLU-RAY discs - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-19-2010, 06:22 PM
Banned

Default The storage capacity of SDXC flash memory is now higher then BLU-RAY discs

The storage capacity of SDXC flash memory is now higher then BLU-RAY discs

Currently the largest available BD-R and BD-RE recordable Blu-ray disc available for purchase is a dual layer 50GB disc. A SDXC 64GB memory card can now be purchased at Amazon and other dealers. In the future 100GB and 200GB Blu-ray discs are planned but those capacities are very small compared to what the SD Association plans on releasing in the future. In the future 2TB size SDXC memory cards are planned on being released. A 2TB SDXC card is enough capacity to hold an 8K or 4K 3D quality movie using a lossless video compression system (bit for bit the same as the studio master).

Even though SDXC discs have more storage capacity compared to Blu-ray discs there are still some advantages to storing computer data and video files on Blu-ray discs:

1. Many companies rate flash memory with an estimated lifespan of around 10 years. High quality name brand BD-R and BD-RE blank discs have an estimated lifespan of up to 100 years. Companies like Verbatim even offer lifetime warranties on all their blank Blu-ray disc media.

2. Blu-ray disc optical media and are immune to EMP's and magnetic fields. Tape, hard drives, and flash memory data can be destroyed by EMP's or strong magnetic fields. Blu-ray discs are ideal for storing critical government, business, and consumer computer data.

3. A 64GB SDXC card costs around $220 at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Secure-Digital-Capacity-Memory/dp/B003FVG3PC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276979935&sr =8-1

A quality name brand 50GB BD-R disc costs less then $12 and if one searches online under $10 prices can be found. http://www.mediamegamall.com/verbatim-bluray-disc-50gb-white-inkjet-nonhub-print-25pk-cakebox-96870-p-18389.html

Of course to be fair when comparing 64GB SDXC memory to recordable Blu-ray discs one should use BD-RE discs in the comparison since BD-RE can be erased several times just like flash memory. A 50GB BD-RE disc can be purchased for around $19.00.
http://www.mediamegamall.com/panasonic-bluray-disc-50gb-bdre-printable-25pk-cakebox-lmbes50wb25-p-19151.html?osCsid=168023b8493cc0116681a3f269f1c090

So in summary optical media still costs a lot less money per GB compared to flash memory. When those 2TB SDXC cards appear on the market in the future they might be so expensive that the average consumer will not be able to afford them. Maybe several years in the future the cost per GB for flash memory will be closer to the price of optical media.

For more information on SDXC memory cards click the following link
http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/sdxc/using_sdxc

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 06-19-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:07 AM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Cool, but is this in the right section?
Old 06-20-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post

2. Blu-ray disc optical media and are immune to EMP's and magnetic fields. Tape, hard drives, and flash memory data can be destroyed by EMP's or strong magnetic fields. Blu-ray discs are ideal for storing critical government, business, and consumer computer data.
]
I would have to think that if an EMP went off, I would have alot more to worry about than whether my movies were ok or not. )
Old 06-20-2010, 11:32 AM

MOD NOTE: Thread Moved. SDXC has nothing to do with Blu-ray Software Discussion.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
BD-R and BD-RE blank discs have an estimated lifespan of up to 100 years.
Not really. Reports from tech forums are that some BD-R (& BD-REs) do not last, for some unknown reason some discs go blank after so many months after being written. I think it was Memorex and all the off shoots of the company that makes them for Memorex (Ritek?).

Obviously store bought and factory pressed disc are not affected and these kind of issues should be getting fewer and fewer.

All this really means, if were are to find smackdown material in it, is that BD-Rs will never become the preferred medium of back up for business and homes. Which it wasn't really going to do anyway, large capacity hard drives are too cheap and abundant, the USB flash drives made it easy to have portable personal HD for smaller files.

Someday maybe this kind of thing will be what the Movie industry moves embraces, they are already Jonesing for a kiosk solution they control outright. Good bye middle men: manufactures, shippers and rental houses. But not for awhile yet.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:57 PM

Transfer rates will be what holds back a kiosk type solution for movies. An HD movie needs to be transferred at about the same time it takes for candy to fall to the bottom of a vending machine.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:26 PM

The capacity of BR discs is nothing special today. In fact, it's capacity is largely irrelevant as a data storage medium. (It was important during the format war in comparison to HD DVD, I guess.)

When CD-ROM appeared, you'd have to pay hundreds of dollars to buy storage of comparable space on a hard disk drive. When DVD-ROM appears, maybe $100 would have gotten you the same space on HD.

BR-ROM was equal to $5-6 of HD storage when it hit. Now it's $3.25. BRXL is back to like $6.

So, that something surpasses BR's capacity it should come as no surprise.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comixguru View Post
The capacity of BR discs is nothing special today. In fact, it's capacity is largely irrelevant as a data storage medium. (It was important during the format war in comparison to HD DVD, I guess.)

When CD-ROM appeared, you'd have to pay hundreds of dollars to buy storage of comparable space on a hard disk drive. When DVD-ROM appears, maybe $100 would have gotten you the same space on HD.

BR-ROM was equal to $5-6 of HD storage when it hit. Now it's $3.25. BRXL is back to like $6.

So, that something surpasses BR's capacity it should come as no surprise.
Per GB, optical storage is the same as HD storage now. Roughly 6 cents/GB. But HD's a re-writeable...and BD-r's, at that price, are not. But HD's cannot be put right into your standalone BD player and played at the touch of a button. You pay for the convenience. But still, BD burners missed the boat. They should have been $200 at launch with $2 discs. Too little too late. And this is coming from someone who HAS a Blu-ray burner in his gaming machine.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
But still, BD burners missed the boat. They should have been $200 at launch with $2 discs. Too little too late. And this is coming from someone who HAS a Blu-ray burner in his gaming machine.
I only bought one BD-RE myself, last time I look the BD-R disc were too expensive plus finding reviews of blank BD brands is really hard. BD burners have come down in price but the blank media needs to as well.

Last edited by greenman342; 06-20-2010 at 10:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-21-2010, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
I would have to think that if an EMP went off, I would have alot more to worry about than whether my movies were ok or not. )
Yeah. First you've gotta get the power back on to microwave the popcorn.