Blu-ray in Redbox kiosks coming soon $1.50/night - 16.9% of user base Blu-ray owners - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-03-2010, 05:16 PM

Blu-ray in Redbox kiosks coming soon $1.50/night - 16.9% of user base Blu-ray owners

Quote:
Blu-ray Rentals Likely $1.50 a Night at Redbox Kiosks

By : Chris Tribbey | Posted: 03 Jun 2010
[email protected]

Redbox president Mitch Lowe said the kiosk company would likely bow Blu-ray Disc rentals at $1.50 a night, a premium over the chain’s traditional $1-a-night DVD rental.

Blu-rays will start appearing in Redbox kiosks over the next few months, he said.

Lowe made the announcement during a keynote speech at the Entertainment Supply Chain Academy Edge conference today.

Lowe said 16.9% of Redbox customers own a Blu-ray player and that he believes Redbox’s 23% share of the rental market will help drive Blu-ray adoption.

Citing NPD Group data, Lowe noted 20% of Redbox customers say they would not have bought or rented a certain DVD if it were not available at Redbox. He also noted 41% of Redbox customers rent before they choose to buy a certain title, with 9% of those rentals resulting in a sale.

He said Redbox was actually helping the studios’ sellthrough business, rather than harming it.

“We’re going to be driving awareness of your product to purchase where we’re at,” he said.

Lowe also said Redbox will soon test sellthrough of catalog titles for $5, $7 and $9. He said Redbox renters buy 6% more new DVDs than non Redbox renters and that heavy Redbox renters (those renting once or more a week) buy 42% more than non Redbox renters.
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/red...x-kiosks-19612
Old 06-03-2010, 08:00 PM

Blu ray market share is growing.
I wonder how long before we see threads about its only in Redbox on Blu ray and not available on Redbox DVD?
Old 06-03-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Blu View Post
Blu ray market share is growing.
I wonder how long before we see threads about its only in Redbox on Blu ray and not available on Redbox DVD?
I'll take a BD for a buck and a half all day long.

Nice price for a 24 hour rental.

Another reason why I have fewer reasons to have hundreds of purchased discs sitting on my shelf at home.

As access to content becomes ubiquitous the need to own my own library becomes less attractive. And significantly less costly.

Thus the conundrum. From a studios perspective.

One can only hope.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:59 PM

Good, that was my limit and where I was hoping it would be priced...just hurry up and make them available system wide!
Old 06-03-2010, 09:03 PM

$1.50 per night seems reasonable enough. This is good news. It will certainly get more exposure for the format.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post
I'll take a BD for a buck and a half all day long.

Nice price for a 24 hour rental.

Another reason why I have fewer reasons to have hundreds of purchased discs sitting on my shelf at home.

As access to content becomes ubiquitous the need to own my own library becomes less attractive. And significantly less costly.

Thus the conundrum. From a studios perspective.

One can only hope.
Except that they have a limited selection on Redbox. And usually it's shit.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post
Except that they have a limited selection on Redbox. And usually it's shit.
If you can't buck the trend then come up with a pejorative response.

I guess there is something to be said for consistency.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
$1.50 per night seems reasonable enough. This is good news. It will certainly get more exposure for the format.
I agree. Good point.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
Agreed since more exposure means more selection.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:55 PM

I think this is the best case price point. $1.50 is sweet and its a no brainer upgrade fro consumers that own Blu-ray players to transition to Blu-ray rental. Thats going to lead to more Blu-ray inventory in the kiosks sooner than later. Its also going to set a precedent price point for the Blockbuster kiosks as well.

I think most of us will be happy about this. I sure am.