Blockbuster Inks Distribution Deals With Sony and Fox - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Arrow Blockbuster Inks Distribution Deals With Sony and Fox

Blockbuster Inks Distribution Deals With Sony and Fox

Quote:
By : Erik Gruenwedel | Posted: 07 Apr 2010
[email protected]

Blockbuster said it signed new DVD/Blu-ray Disc distribution agreements with Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment.

The new agreements (announced late April 6), along with last month’s deal with Warner Home Video, will provide day-and-date availability of new release movies, deeper copy depth and better pricing for Blockbuster's store, by-mail and video-on-demand (VOD) channels.

Blockbuster, which also offers new release VOD titles for rent on recently launched T-Mobile HTC HD2 mobile phones, thereby remains the only multi-channel home entertainment retailer offering new release movie rentals on street date.

The deals do not affect Blockbuster Express kiosks, which are being financed, distributed and stocked through a separate license agreement with NCR Corp. The Duluth, Ga.-based kiosk manufacturer acquires all content through distributors and third-party retail — not Blockbuster.

By contrast, kiosk leader Redbox must wait 28 days for Warner titles, and secure Fox titles via third party retail channels. Redbox is paying Sony hundreds of millions of dollars to secure the studio’s new releases on street date.

Netflix, which recently inked a deal with Warner that included a 28-day delay on new release rentals, is thought to be negotiating revised deals with other studios.

To help secure its deals, Dallas-based Blockbuster provided Fox and Sony a first lien on its Canadian assets.

"These positive signs of studio support are part of our overall recapitalization effort to drive top-line performance while reducing debt and operating costs at Blockbuster,” said CFO Tom Casey. “This affirms our strong and collaborative business relations with these critical vendors."
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blo...-and-fox-18994
Old 04-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Will this save BBi? Or is it too little too late?
Old 04-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Banned

Last few breaths from a dying company.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:26 AM

The studios needed collateral to sign the deal. I love that part. I think that says it all. Who does that just to sign a deal to rent stuff at $3.99?

Quote:
To help secure its deals, Dallas-based Blockbuster provided Fox and Sony a first lien on its Canadian assets.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by comixguru View Post
The studios needed collateral to sign the deal. I love that part. I think that says it all. Who does that just to sign a deal to rent stuff at $3.99?
Aisde from the overall deal BB has had with Sony for years (stock Blu-ray in more stores/dump DS rentals for PSP/Carry UMD movies), BB owes studios a lot of money. They are typically behind in paying them for rental copies (they were when I worked for them in 2004). It's probably in the studios best interests for BB to remain alive otherwise people may turn to other methods to watch movies 'on demand'.

Hollywood is dead now, right? Did they close all of their stores? I don't see any in SoCal anymore.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Here in ABQ, NM we no longer have any B & M rental stores. The last BBi shut their doors a few weeks ago.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Hollywood is dead now, right? Did they close all of their stores? I don't see any in SoCal anymore.
I have a dozen Hollywood videos in the Portland Oregon area still. Small market, though, and I think they had a big distribution center here at one point.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Blockbuster Brass Got $1.5M in Bonuses in 2009

Quote:
Blockbuster reported a net loss of more than $550 million in fiscal 2009 but still awarded senior executives nearly $1.5 million in “discretionary” bonuses, according to an April 6 proxy filing sent shareholders.
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blo...ses-2009-18991
Old 04-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Blockbuster Brass Got $1.5M in Bonuses in 2009

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blo...ses-2009-18991
Didn't they just beg to get more cashflow so they could pay off some debts and remain afloat until mid 2010?
Old 04-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Didn't they just beg to get more cashflow so they could pay off some debts and remain afloat until mid 2010?
Well it's ONLY $1.5M

Didn't the same thing happen with Circuit City?