What doesn't kill you makes you stronger (same effect on HD DVD)? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-22-2007, 12:48 AM

Default What doesn't kill you makes you stronger (same effect on HD DVD)?

This Blockbuster development may be a good thing for HD-DVD. It may force the developers of HD-DVD to work harder, and may give them the needed vigor to pull ahead once again in the format war. They may not pull back ahead all at once, but I am hoping it may force HD-DVD to work a lot harder. Does anyone agree that this blockbuster news may help HD-DVD's development in the long run? Please do not turn this thread into a flame war. This is a purely speculative topic and a legitiment question of mine and I just want some honest oppinions devoid of name calling or flamebaiting. Thanks guys, and if this thread is in the wrong place please move it. I am new here and wasn't exactly sure where to put it.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptex View Post
This Blockbuster development may be a good thing for HD-DVD. It may force the developers of HD-DVD to work harder, and may give them the needed vigor to pull ahead once again in the format war. They may not pull back ahead all at once, but I am hoping it may force HD-DVD to work a lot harder. Does anyone agree that this blockbuster news may help HD-DVD's development in the long run? Please do not turn this thread into a flame war. This is a purely speculative topic and a legitiment question of mine and I just want some honest oppinions devoid of name calling or flamebaiting. Thanks guys, and if this thread is in the wrong place please move it. I am new here and wasn't exactly sure where to put it.
thats right, you keep telling yourself that
Old 06-22-2007, 12:55 AM

I'm simply hoping the cost of combo discs comes down.

I'm old enough to remember the original format war and it really took a loooooong time to end. It got to the point where you couldn't find beta tapes anywhere, not even blanks to buy, before the war ended.

The 1.7:1 sales lead is nothing compared to that period, it was virtually impossible to buy a beta movie in Toronto in 1984. Had tape sales been at 1.7:1 for vhs then sony would have never stopped the consumer edition of the beta format. Sadly, for my friend peter, it was more like 500:1.

My dad had bought a jvc vhs and my first tape purchase was star trek ii and it cost me 69 dollars.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooswing View Post
A Gorilla... a little sarcasm here and there isn't bad but every thread? Please... there are way to many posts already without all your witty comebacks.
Ok ok ill stop...for now
Old 06-22-2007, 12:57 AM

my friends thinks the same way when something like this happens (blockbuster) , HD DVD needs to get its act right and release more quality movies and get more support
Old 06-22-2007, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.D.inToronto View Post
I'm simply hoping the cost of combo discs comes down.

I'm old enough to remember the original format war and it really took a loooooong time to end. It got to the point where you couldn't find beta tapes anywhere, not even blanks to buy, before the war ended.

The 1.7:1 sales lead is nothing compared to that period, it was virtually impossible to buy a beta movie in Toronto in 1984. Had tape sales been at 1.7:1 for vhs then sony would have never stopped the consumer edition of the beta format. Sadly, for my friend peter, it was more like 500:1.

My dad had bought a jvc vhs and my first tape purchase was star trek ii and it cost me 69 dollars.
Good gosh, 69 dollars for one VHS!
Old 06-22-2007, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptex View Post
Good gosh, 69 dollars for one VHS!
Yes Padawon tapes were very costly back in those days. To rent you had to have a credit card and they'd swip it (or back then take an imprint). Some places SOLD memberships.

Even blank tapes were costly.

When I read that people are buying great HD movies at 20 dollars I feel cheated in life. Perhaps had I been born 15 years later then things would be different, but the greatest thing about being born when I was born was there was no smurfs on tv. In fact, there wasn't a heck of a lot of anything on tv except uncle bobby and some freaky birthday clown. *body shake*
Old 06-22-2007, 01:17 AM

And here I thought $40 for a HD-DVD/DVD combo disc was alot.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooswing View Post
I'm just not sure what HD DVD has left to counter BD.

They have been trailing all year in sales and did a very good player sale to counter, I think we should know in about a month if that will or will not close the gap.

I think the only option they have left is to keep doing what they are doing... release movies, keep player prices lower than BD and keep having sales, and get HD DVD drives into computers.

Universal could have a huge affect if they released some BIG titles but I don't think there is a large enough base for Universal to dip into the Jurassic Park, Jaws, etc movies yet. Universal has some options but HD DVD itself is pretty limited.
They have options...Drop prices of hardware and software fast and increase the advertising. If I could get Universal classics for $9.99 I would increase my purchases by 10 - 15 movies a month to about 30.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.D.inToronto View Post
Yes Padawon tapes were very costly back in those days. To rent you had to have a credit card and they'd swip it (or back then take an imprint). Some places SOLD memberships.

Even blank tapes were costly.

When I read that people are buying great HD movies at 20 dollars I feel cheated in life. Perhaps had I been born 15 years later then things would be different, but the greatest thing about being born when I was born was there was no smurfs on tv. In fact, there wasn't a heck of a lot of anything on tv except uncle bobby and some freaky birthday clown. *body shake*
I feel cheated in life when I see all the great things you can do when you are playing music on your MP3 player. I wish I could go back to the 80's and bring back one MP3 Player with me.

By the way, I am having a great time reading your posts today.
Hope to keep on reading from you.