HD DVD rant! Why oh why!!! Why did you choose your format? - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-21-2007, 10:33 PM
vahdyx's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 848
Default HD DVD rant! Why oh why!!! Why did you choose your format?

Quick Version:

I basically chose HD DVD because I knew the 360 was going to support it, that is pretty much the main reason. I like the player price, the standards are nice and I am anti sony (why I don't know exactly). The maroon cases are more attractive IMO, but that had nothing to do with my decision. I am scared that my money will be wasted now.

Rant and Long Version below:

I first heard about HD DVD back when the Xbox 360 was called the Zypher (when it was still a concept.) I also heard about blu-ray at the same time. I had an Xbox and I despised the PS2! I hated it. The controller hurt my hand after awhile, the graphics weren't as good as Xbox, I can go on and on about why I hated the PS2, but that's a topic on another forum. Anyway, I had heard from word of mouth that they're two formats competing; HD DVD and Blu-ray. Microsoft was going to incorperate the HD DVD into their new Xbox and Sony was going to use Blu-ray for the PS3. Well I'm freaking excited now. I knew that then and there I was going to do what Microsoft believed in. HD DVD was now on my wish list. I was reading about HD DVD and I got more and more excited! The technology was impressive. VC1, ethernet standard for movie updates etc. I was happy and I felt (then) that Blu-ray would end up like a UMD or Mini-Disc. Time passes by and Microsoft announces that they'll be using standard DVD for they're Xbox 360. I felt like that was a bad move. I told all my friends that, that was the dumbest move Microsoft could have made. In addition to not making HDD standard amongst some other things, but I was a faithful fan boy and a Unpaid Unofficial Microsoft Sales Rep! All my friends (PS2 Lovers) thought Xbox 360 was the way to go, some took longer than others. Finally HD DVD add-on was born. I got one as soon as it released. I bought a few movies. I was blown away by the picture, and from then on I became a HD DVD supporter. I didn't even see what blu-ray had to offer. Blu-ray wasn't even a twinkle in my eye. Then I went to my local Best Buy and saw Blu-ray for the first time. From that moment I began to doubt HD DVD's success. Why? Well I saw it on a better TV than my 720p DLP and the sound was surround and mine wasn't, but at that moment with my very limited knowledge in HD I felt I made a mistake. At that point in my life I started to research HD DVD and Blu-ray. I then realized that HD DVD didn't have nearly as much momentum as Blu-ray. I stopped buying movies and I stopped feeling. I couldn't believe that HD DVD was losing. I am sad, because I really wanted HD DVD to win or at least co exist.

Well the moral to my story is. Screw format wars the **** us consumers!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-21-2007, 10:37 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 47
Default

So are you no longer supporting HD DVD?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-21-2007, 10:39 PM
double l's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 369
Default

Quote:
I am anti sony (why I don't know exactly).
Its just cool to be against Sony.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-21-2007, 10:41 PM
vahdyx's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 848
Default

I'm still hoping and cheering for HD DVD's success or permenant existance, but as for dumping $50 to $100 dollars a month on movies that stopped because of fear.

I would love to continue, but i'm to worried now.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-21-2007, 10:54 PM
Keegs's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahdyx View Post
Quick Version:

I basically chose HD DVD because I knew the 360 was going to support it, that is pretty much the main reason. I like the player price, the standards are nice and I am anti sony (why I don't know exactly). The maroon cases are more attractive IMO, but that had nothing to do with my decision. I am scared that my money will be wasted now.

Rant and Long Version below:

I first heard about HD DVD back when the Xbox 360 was called the Zypher (when it was still a concept.) I also heard about blu-ray at the same time. I had an Xbox and I despised the PS2! I hated it. The controller hurt my hand after awhile, the graphics weren't as good as Xbox, I can go on and on about why I hated the PS2, but that's a topic on another forum. Anyway, I had heard from word of mouth that they're two formats competing; HD DVD and Blu-ray. Microsoft was going to incorperate the HD DVD into their new Xbox and Sony was going to use Blu-ray for the PS3. Well I'm freaking excited now. I knew that then and there I was going to do what Microsoft believed in. HD DVD was now on my wish list. I was reading about HD DVD and I got more and more excited! The technology was impressive. VC1, ethernet standard for movie updates etc. I was happy and I felt (then) that Blu-ray would end up like a UMD or Mini-Disc. Time passes by and Microsoft announces that they'll be using standard DVD for they're Xbox 360. I felt like that was a bad move. I told all my friends that, that was the dumbest move Microsoft could have made. In addition to not making HDD standard amongst some other things, but I was a faithful fan boy and a Unpaid Unofficial Microsoft Sales Rep! All my friends (PS2 Lovers) thought Xbox 360 was the way to go, some took longer than others. Finally HD DVD add-on was born. I got one as soon as it released. I bought a few movies. I was blown away by the picture, and from then on I became a HD DVD supporter. I didn't even see what blu-ray had to offer. Blu-ray wasn't even a twinkle in my eye. Then I went to my local Best Buy and saw Blu-ray for the first time. From that moment I began to doubt HD DVD's success. Why? Well I saw it on a better TV than my 720p DLP and the sound was surround and mine wasn't, but at that moment with my very limited knowledge in HD I felt I made a mistake. At that point in my life I started to research HD DVD and Blu-ray. I then realized that HD DVD didn't have nearly as much momentum as Blu-ray. I stopped buying movies and I stopped feeling. I couldn't believe that HD DVD was losing. I am sad, because I really wanted HD DVD to win or at least co exist.

Well the moral to my story is. Screw format wars the **** us consumers!
Wow. I would like to start a talk with your negative attitude toward one of the most successful game consoles with the most exclusive big titles of any consoles's lifetime.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Rob.D.inToronto's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,359
Default

You know if you like the movie a lot and think you'll watch it more than a few times then buy it.

This worry makes no sense. I keep reading that DVDs will go away, Sony predicted they'd be gone by 2010, but I won't stop buying DVDs if there is one I want.

If you want something to worry about read Al Gore's latest book, but buy the movies you want and pop some corn.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-21-2007, 10:59 PM
Aodh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahdyx View Post
I'm still hoping and cheering for HD DVD's success or permenant existance, but as for dumping $50 to $100 dollars a month on movies that stopped because of fear.

I would love to continue, but i'm to worried now.
Are you going to unplug your 360? If not what does it matter. Even if you get a Blu-ray player you'll still have the 360 hooked up to watch HD DVDs whenever you want.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-21-2007, 11:08 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahdyx View Post
I'm still hoping and cheering for HD DVD's success or permenant existance, but as for dumping $50 to $100 dollars a month on movies that stopped because of fear.

I would love to continue, but i'm to worried now.
After the news the week, I increased my HD DVD purchases. I am dropping $100+ tommorow on amazon to get Dead Silence, BulletProof, The Watcher, and Black Snake Moan. I plan on purchasing at least 10 movies a month. If you really want HD DVD to win, you have to support it by making purchases.

Also, if you like the movies why would you not get them???? Would you wait until they come out on Blu-Ray in 2 years? When Dreamcast died out, I still played it for some time after and then got a Xbox and Gamecube, now I have a 360. I do not regret for one minute that I purchased the Dreamcast because I would have missed out on so much.

You can be like BR supporters who are still waiting for titles and specs to be finished or you can enjoy HD DVD, a finished product with great titles available now. Also, do you think that something else will not take over BR or HD DVD in a few years? Technology is changing so fast that this is not a if but when. So relax, enjoy the format.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-21-2007, 11:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDVD_1 View Post
You can be like BR supporters who are still waiting for titles and specs to be finished or you can enjoy HD DVD, a finished product with great titles available now. Also, do you think that something else will not take over BR or HD DVD in a few years? Technology is changing so fast that this is not a if but when. So relax, enjoy the format.
You say that as if no one is enjoying HD movies on Blu-ray.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-21-2007, 11:23 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly79 View Post
You say that as if no one is enjoying HD movies on Blu-ray.
Its hard to tell with a dismal attach rate and the ever so popular..."Wait until Fox and Disney start releasing..".
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did you compare the AQ of a movie in its DVD/Bd versions, did you heardaud diference? Silver_Cat Blu-ray Hardware General Discussion 9 02-08-2013 02:19 PM
Did you mod your 360? If so, what did you do? Chickengas Game Room 12 07-03-2008 08:17 PM
Your final (formerly known as) format war rant! xboxboi High Definition Smackdown 89 05-07-2008 11:29 PM
If you could only choose 3 studios for your format which 3 would they be arrowspark High Definition Smackdown 43 01-04-2008 12:42 PM
Why did you choose the type of HDTV format you have over another wingnut Home Theater Gear 19 03-05-2007 02:31 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off