Will Microsoft Announce A BD Add-On @ CES 2009? - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: Will Microsoft Announce A BD Add-On @ CES 2009?
Yes 17 11.89%
No 126 88.11%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2008, 09:34 AM

I think a cheap addon would help sway a certain segment of the gaming population away from PS3's... But who knows on this one... Next gen for sure.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

It would have to retail for $99 or less to be competitive with a stand alone BD player.

Maybe CES 2010 - but not CES 2009.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
Good thinking - and, when you tout this new unit as a full entertainment unit, you will do this by letting the consumer know that if they want to watch movies - they can only buy old movies based on a dead format?

they still have to get a SA blu ray player on top of it?
It doesn't need to be used as a movie format again, just a media for XBox720 games. By that time BluRay sales growth will have likely stemmed so there won't be any need to include one. The 720 will have downloads, and everyone will just view movies on the 5TB hard drive inside it.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDeFJunKie View Post
It doesn't need to be used as a movie format again, just a media for XBox720 games. By that time BluRay sales growth will have likely stemmed so there won't be any need to include one. The 720 will have downloads, and everyone will just view movies on the 5TB hard drive inside it.
Right...In two years, we will all be downloading and watching movies exclusively online huh?
Old 12-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
Right...In two years, we will all be downloading and watching movies exclusively online huh?
Is that when the 720 is scheduled for release?
Old 12-16-2008, 10:05 AM

Ok I just went and voted no... I didn't want to, and I do see some value for bluray on the 360 but here's the thing. Right now they don't need that extra marketing check mark, the console is already very well positioned in the market. The entry level price point is right at the sweet spot for consoles, they're out selling sony on all fronts embarrasingly and even outselling nintendo in terms of actual software titles moved (though wii/ds absolutly dominate the hardware category).

Frankly, while I see where a bluray option might help give some consumers warm fuzzies... I just don't see that being that big a deal since they're already going to be getting warm fuzzies from the following truths:

1) 360 is the cheapest nextgen in most every market, yep even cheaper than the Wii
2) Has the biggest library of all the nextgens, flush in every genera
3) In the US market (only for the time being) they have netflix as a value add
4) All markets get NXE, with cute "x-box" people that you can show off online to your friends
5) Host of new features with NXE (available to all markets) including game installs, new party system
Old 12-16-2008, 10:09 AM

ridiculous, they would gain nothing by doing that except maybe a few less PS3s sold but those PS3s would be used more as movie players than game machines anyway so it's really not worth it for MS to release an add-on.

Especially with their big NetFlix deal they have all the movie content they need.

Next gen for games? probably.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:06 AM

Not this again.. This question pops up about every 6 months, and I think the answer is no. The 360 is selling well without it and Microsoft wants downloads to succeed, not Blu-Ray.

I do think Microsoft will have some tough choices ahead though for the next Xbox. If they make it download only, they will be making a massive mistake. If the go with DVD, I think they will be gimping the capacity. They could go hybrid (DVD/download) but they will be alienating many people and download caps will be an issue for many.

Quite ironic, but I think Microsoft may be forced to use Blu-Ray in their next console.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Banned

No.

After the success of Q4 08 for Xbox 360, Microsoft can see people are no longer buying PS3 as a Blu-ray player (and instead opting for SA Players). No need to offer something that most do not want.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:13 AM

^^^
How is this Ironic? Some people like to pretend MS is some how an anti-bluray company... Truth be told at this point they could care less about fighting bluray. While the format war was on they supported HD DVD because of HDi, now that the format war is over oh well, time to move on.

Fact is MS is already making strides to support bluray natively in windows... So here's a question, if MS is really trying to kill off bluray why support it in windows nativly in media center which is also very DD oriented with their propriatary IPTV solution?

For the next gen, the "720" will almost certainly have bluray. Internet speeds will not have advanced enough that DD will be practical (disk space will also be an issue). Frankly the only people that I think see this as ironic or "whoa that's a huge change in direction" are those that have convinced them selves that Microsoft as a corperate entity hates bluray when in fact, they don't.