Why Can't I Get an In-Car Blu-ray Player? - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbert View Post
For convenience sakes, I want an in car blu-ray player also. Being that there are portable blu-ray players now, I don't see what the big deal is.

http://www.slashgear.com/panasonic-c...ealed-2053178/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/10/a...-ray-player-t/
Laptops too. But THIS thread is about in-car BD players being non-existant after 5.5 years of the formats launch.

Of course, I wouldn't want to be in a car holding something in my lap and be involved in a major accident.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post
DVD might be good enough for car speakers and a 10 inch screen as you get tossed around, but DVD isn't good enough for the living room.
Maybe for you it isn't, but the MAJORITY of consumers it is.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Laptops too. But THIS thread is about in-car BD players being non-existant after 5.5 years of the formats launch.

Of course, I wouldn't want to be in a car holding something in my lap and be involved in a major accident.
There are definitely portable BD players you can use in the Car and strap in (my brother has a dvd system like that), but I don't think there are any dealer options at the purchase options or any installation options for in dash, headrest, etc for blu-ray.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:31 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbert View Post
There are definitely portable BD players you can use in the Car and strap in (my brother has a dvd system like that), but I don't think there are any dealer options at the purchase options or any installation options for in dash, headrest, etc for blu-ray.
According to Tom Arnold - there aren't. That was the point of his editorial.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Many think it is. Let me remind you that HDTV adoption is 70%, DVD adoption is 90% and BD adoption is 34%
And Blu-ray got to that point because people found DVD to not be good enough in the living room. I don't know who is really asking for HD resolution for their 10 inch car screens. The point is that it isn't the "same story" of DVD being good enough, as there are far more people who find DVD good enough for a 10 inch screen than for their big-screen HDTV at home.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
I don't know who is really asking for HD resolution for their 10 inch car screens. The point is that it isn't the "same story" of DVD being good enough, as there are far more people who find DVD good enough for a 10 inch screen than for their big-screen HDTV at home.
How about just an in-car dash BD player with standard resolution screens so you can take your BDs on the road with you. But that doesn't exist according to Tom Arnold.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
How about just an in-car dash BD player with standard resolution screens so you can take your BDs on the road with you. But that doesn't exist according to Tom Arnold.
I'm not here to debate that. I'm here to point out that there are plenty of people who think DVD is insufficient for the home, and therefore car players and home players are not on the same page. Since you have moved on, I will count this as admitting I have a point.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:19 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
I'm not here to debate that. I'm here to point out that there are plenty of people who think DVD is insufficient for the home, and therefore car players and home players are not on the same page. Since you have moved on, I will count this as admitting I have a point.
But I haven't moved on. I'm right here. All you are doing is moving the goal posts to suit your argument. Stay on topic . . in-car BD players. Of course if you can't do that then I will have to count that as admitting that Tom has a very valid point:

Quote:
We are being told Blu-ray Disc is the format of the present, and that DVD is obsolete. And yet we still canít buy a Blu-ray Disc player for the car; if we want to keep the kids happy during a long road trip, we need to take a step back in time and buy a DVD player.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:41 PM

How big is the "in car video" market? How many dvd players were sold? That might shed some light.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0mi View Post
How big is the "in car video" market? How many dvd players were sold? That might shed some light.
Can you offer any stats or sales data?