Who is the most disappointing high definition studio so far? - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-27-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan92 View Post
Lossless not an issue? I bought I high definition media! I want high definition audio! It's not only about picture quality! And Disney has a better track record of video quality! At least SPHE knows when they release crap and does a reissue! IME however AWESOME it might be is useless to the average consumer!
DD+ is a next gen audio standard too. But anyway, the truth is I think lossless audio will have even less impact on peoples decisions than the extras. How many people (outside of the early adopters here) are really planning to buy a new receiver to decode lossless audio? If it's on the disc great, but it's not some thing people will be looking for.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdachad View Post
yea disneys bad cropping on pirates is Wonderful! Yea usueless to the average consumer you mean like lossless! And high def media i want high def interaction yea ime!
It was such a major issue it was months before anyone spotted it. It is an error but they haven't made many and that's a good thing.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
yea disneys bad cropping on pirates is Wonderful! Yea usueless to the average consumer you mean like lossless! And high def media i want high def interaction yea ime!
Lossless especially LPCM can be utilized by the average consumer! High def interaction is a joke! The only cool high definition interactive feature are the pop up menus & the downloadable main menus (Transformers & Shrek the Third) NOTHING ELSE so far! Framing issue has nothing to do with picture quality! And Warner has had several titles that don't look much better than a standard definition DVD (Eyes Wide Shut, Twilight Zone, etc. )
Old 10-27-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
OMG - I'm almost in complete agreement with the Kid on this one.
I'm not that cotroversial you know.

Quite surprised you find Sony better on average than Warner. My main issue with Warner is that they have not been utilising BD to the max by adding lossless sound to their BD releases but on the plus side they have been releasing top quality catalogue product. That has nudged them marginally ahead of Sony in my view, who I've marked down for their early mistakes and reluctance to raid the vaults. When it comes to new releases, both are superb though.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
IME is awesome, lossless is not an issue, and the movies they have relesaed in picture quality is top notch whats your problem? Sony with garbage like fifth element is pretty sad
top notch huh? you must be an hd dvd supporter. even the old fifth element is better than smallville or troy. and lossless doesn't matter? stick with dvd man. life will be much simpler for you.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:59 PM

Ha i guarantee most consumers will have a tv and a high def media player thats it so lossless is useless to J6P unless he's a buff but if he was he would already have bought into a format, and Pirates was caught so late, whats stopping other people catching disney movies late, and are you comparing Catalogue titles to disney new realeases? give me a break
Old 10-27-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan92 View Post
For me it's Warner Home Video by far! With great catalog titles & a strong slate of new releases they are the cream of the crop in home entertainment! But the percentage of titles released w/o lossless audio alone makes them the most disappointing high definition studio so far. Not to mention the titles that still have not been released on Blu-ray yet. And IME is a lame excuse (300 being a prime example & Terminator 3 being another for those who want IME). I along with many don't have the time or the interest to watch IME. The average consumer does not want to watch IME or web enabled features. But I can wait, (I have waited this long already) as long as all the video is in 1080 high definition & the movie audio is lossless. I chose Blu-ray because of WHV, WDHV, 20CFHE, SPHE, Spielberg Dreamworks movies , & The Playstation 3 (Multi-media device). I love WHV (they imo have the best movies) but release all high definition movies w/lossless audio.
You're out of your mind calling Warner a dissapointment.

They've been the best studio in HD perdiod. From not holding back their major titles, to great pq and aq, to the best priceing, very good output... They've been amazing. DD+ on their early hd dvd disks was great and now they're doing true hd.

I can't think of a studio even close to the quality movies warner has put out.

Matrix
V for vendetta
Harry Potter trilogy
Blade Runner
All of the Kubrick movies.
Batman Begins

While sony is chargineg $49.95 for close encounters warner is giveing us the 5 disk blade runner set for $39.99. Not only that but ordering straight for warner you pick it up for $23.00.

It's a huge day when fox puts out crap like Fantastic 4 yet warner has been putting out better movies more consistantly and for a much better price.

Worst to best studios:

Fox (priceing, delays, very slow output, poor movies)
Weinstein
Paramount (priceing, slow output)
Sony - Disney (tie)
Universal (for alot of great back catelog and new stuff like serenity and children of men)
Warner
Old 10-27-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultradark buckshot View Post
top notch huh? you must be an hd dvd supporter. even the old fifth element is better than smallville or troy. and lossless doesn't matter? stick with dvd man. life will be much simpler for you.
You mest be a blu-ray supporter because troy and smallville looked leaps and bounds better than fifth element
Old 10-27-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Erased View Post
DD+ is a next gen audio standard too. But anyway, the truth is I think lossless audio will have even less impact on peoples decisions than the extras. How many people (outside of the early adopters here) are really planning to buy a new receiver to decode lossless audio? If it's on the disc great, but it's not some thing people will be looking for.
I don't have a receiver YET but my Playstation 3 decodes DTHD, LPCM internally to my television & it's a dramatic difference. The average consumer wants video & audio first, extras are an afterthought!
Old 10-27-2007, 06:15 PM

FOX is the worst, and since they have distribution rights to MGM films, MGM is lumped in with Fox. Fox disappeared for months and hasn't released enough titles at all considering their large library. At least it's getting better.

Disney is the best. Top notch quality on their releases. If Disney released more catalog titles, they would earn a near perfect ranking.

Warner and Sony are next best. Sony's Fifth Element was a dud, but they re-mastered it. Both of these studios are committed to hi-def, but haven't met the consistent standards of Disney to this point. Warner has short-changed blu-ray's capabilities. Is it so hard to ask for lossless audio when there is plenty of space for it?

I rank Universal ahead of Paramount/Dreamworks because they have issued a lot more titles (though there are far too many catalog titles not up to snuff for Universal). Paramount should be last if one were to take into consideration the fact they gave blu-ray owners the finger, but I'll leave out their anti-consumer practices ATM. Transformers brings Paramount up a bit because of its overal popularity and PQ reviews, but they haven't released as many titles as they could have..

Lionsgate has some top notch transfers - Crank, Descent, House of 1000 Corpses, but also have a lot of average transfers mixed in with their 4+ star titles. For a small major studio, they have released a lot of titles. Before the Paramount switch, they actually released more blu-ray titles than Paramount.

Weinstein has disappeared and is not a factor in this war at this time.