What will Bluray's sell through growth be for 2013? - Page 17 - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: What will Bluray's sell through growth be for 2013?
15% or more! Bluray is going to take off and have a second wind! 2 9.52%
10% to 14% 4 19.05%
5% to 9% about the same as 2012 4 19.05%
1% to 4% 9 42.86%
Flat. No growth. 0 0%
Negative. Bluray will make less in 2013 than in 2012 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2014, 11:15 AM

IMO, Blu-ray and streaming is now old hat joining the ranks of LP, CD, MP3, LaserDisc, VHS, βetamax and DVD.

Now, I spend most of my time following UHD (a.k.a., 4K) developments in video projectors, media players, streamers and 4K Blu-ray disc. My prediction is the 4K market will be even smaller than the Blu-ray market share. Have already stated many times I will replace some of my Blu-ray titles with 4K Blu-ray titles but I will be VERY selective in doing so.

Folks that own the Sony FMP-X1 have commented only 2 or 3 titles of the 10 show a significant improvement over their 1080 counterpart.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R Breland View Post
IMO, Blu-ray and streaming is now old hat joining the ranks of LP, CD, MP3, LaserDisc, VHS, βetamax and DVD.

Now, I spend most of my time following UHD (a.k.a., 4K) developments in video projectors, media players, streamers and 4K Blu-ray disc. My prediction is the 4K market will be even smaller than the Blu-ray market share. Have already stated many times I will replace some of my Blu-ray titles with 4K Blu-ray titles but I will be VERY selective in doing so.

Folks that own the Sony FMP-X1 have commented only 2 or 3 titles of the 10 show a significant improvement over their 1080 counterpart.
Bluray and DVD are going to be OLD hat. But not streaming. I don't see how you could say that.

Nevermind I see that was just your opinion. For our family it's all streaming. We have 2 ROKU boxes that are always being used. Between Amazon instant, Netflix and my plex server there is an endless amount of entertainment. When those 3 are not being used Youtube has a lot to offer. If anyone here remembers at all the old debates and some of my comments. I gave my BDPs1 to my brother in law to try and get him over to Bluray. He did collect quite a few DVDs. You know he never hooked it up? Instead he just bought the ROKU 2 and I share stream my plex server to him. I'm like his personal Netflix and have amassed over 500 movie titles along with several TV series that i have collected over the years. Added another 4TB HD and have many more titles to rip. We love being able to sit in bed and scroll through the collection viewing all the original movie posters. We are watching stuff now that were just sitting on the shelves. Sometimes when you are lying in bed you dont want to go downstairs and look through your collection. This is so much more convenient. And the quality is great! Not Bluray good. But it doesn't have to be all the time.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Allow me to put a damper on this argument. I live in Canada and Rogers Video and Blockbuster Video have disappeared entirely. Rogers Video was bigger that Blockbuster here and I know that Redbox has not infiltrated the market enough to sway consumer spending to a kiosk. I live in a city of 100,000 people and we have ONE video store and no Redbox.
DVD is being reduced and Blu Ray will certainly follow, so I reiterate, Blu ray will either be absorbed by DVD/Toshiba, or will melt into obscurity.
I still think being 1% off on my estimate is pretty damn good.:wink:
:iconbluraypng:
Damn good guess!
Old 01-17-2014, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
It looks like the studios are fully committed to digital for the future. I don't think they made any mention of Blu-ray at all at CES. EST grew by 47% last year so they must be encouraged by that.

Digital HD (formally EST) is now over 13% of total sell-through and 48% of Blu-ray's revenue. In just two more years, it will likely bring in more revenue than Blu-ray. That's why the studios are so exited about it. In time, they'll probably treat optical disc with the same indifference as Netflix does now.

Even Bill Hunt, always considered somewhat of a Blu-ray fanboy, had this to say about it.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/column...ts/010914_1300
That is crazy to hear from Bill "#1fanboy" Hunt. Even he can't justify pumping up Bluray anymore. It will be interesting to see what happens with this whole net neutrality thing. Maybe Bluray will get a second life if service providers screw over companies like Netflix. Or maybe they will just provide their own streaming service. Interesting times.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
That is crazy to hear from Bill "#1fanboy" Hunt. Even he can't justify pumping up Bluray anymore. It will be interesting to see what happens with this whole net neutrality thing. Maybe Bluray will get a second life if service providers screw over companies like Netflix. Or maybe they will just provide their own streaming service. Interesting times.
I agree with the ruling myself, don't think Netflix or other streaming providers should get a free pipeline. The cable companies spent billions on theirs, and now they're expected to offer unlimited bandwidth to companies that undermine their business?

I don't think it will hurt digital that much, may slow it down a little, but remember streaming is dirt cheap and underpriced anyway. So if digital is really worth its salt, then it should sell based on merit, not by being so much cheaper.

Rental streaming I believe affects the cable/sat companies more than Blu-ray or DVD. EST is not just streaming but downloads as well, so higher streaming costs will have less an impact, IMO.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:30 AM

A very healthy growth indeed for :iconbluraypng: here in the UK:

Quote:
Another format growing in demand is Blu-Ray. Official Charts Company’s weekly survey shows that Blu-Ray revenues overall are up 31.7% year-on-year and now represent 17.4% of total video revenue, up from 13.2% this time in 2012. There are several other indicators that Blu-Ray will finally become a significant format in the market. Blu-Ray player household penetration is now more than 20% and is forecast to double in the next 5 years with the launch of new devices with in-built Blu-Ray players, such as Microsoft’s recently launched Xbox One.
The genre sales highlight that Blu-Ray is going from niche to mainstream. Sci-fi and Action blockbusters sales still make up a significant amount of the market share - 40.8% and 30.5% respectively but TV and family releases are now growing. For example, 30% of the sales of Game of Thrones: Second Series were on Blu-Ray and 27% of the total volume of Disney’s Jungle Book’s re-issued Diamond Edition sold was on Blu-Ray.
http://advertising.microsoft.com/en-...s-need-to-know
Old 01-19-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
But not streaming. I don't see how you could say that.
Remember the large growth numbers that the press used to post about Netflix streaming subs ever so often? It appears they have slowed significantly and there is very little press about it anymore.

BTW, as I have stated before, we were streaming our main TV program (SD) channel to the internet in the late 90's. Streaming video to the internet (1994) preceded DVD (1997) by 3 years. We put our first ATSC HD transmitter on the air in November 1998.

At last count I had 11 devices connected to the LAN that could stream from our Netflix, VUDU and Amazon accounts (not all are registered).

All old hat now and I hope 4K becomes the new rage. Hopefully, one hurdle has been cleared for UHD Blu-ray with the formation of a MPEG-LA for H.265. IF we should get the FMP-X1 and/or Nuvola NP-1 then our streaming/downloading devices will increase.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:50 PM

I hope for the day that we have a more open processor where the player isn't particular to a "redbook" bluray. That way, no matter the upgrade, it will still play on the current machine. This will future proof it and have the better competition factor.

Sony at one point has stated that they have the capability of going to a terrabyte disc. This leads to all kinds of great scenarios. People are dreaming if they think streaming can compete with that kind of local storage. The future of physical formats is releasing in bulk, not just making more and more resolution.

There are so many great analog shows not released in a viable form. This needs to be explored. It is obvious that there are so many that don't care about quality. For me, I want high def film prints, but for classic 70's shows where they were video taped, I don't see that as a needed option.