WB= the second neutral studio to take advantage of Blu-ray's specs. - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-04-2007, 01:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyh3dron View Post
That's funny, because they should only need 3 BDs.

30GB x 5 Discs = 150GB

150GB / 50GB = 3 BDs

Looks like Warner doesn't want to make HD DVD look THAT bad now.
Maybe, they are using DL HD DVD's and SL BD's. It would save money and not make much sense since I can't do math.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
Wait.. I thought studios did not care about extra capacity and it was a myth...
Funny ack_bak! But just because you don't care doesn't mean you're going to put a blank disc in the package, does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshan View Post
well they may had to split a movie in half that way they needed 4

I think it probably will save them money 4 instead of 5 disks
I know this is overthinking, but here's the math as I see it...

22 episodes in Season 6 of Smallville

HD-DVD
5 episodes to discs 1 - 4 = 20 episodes
2 episodes on disc 5 + special features.

Blu-Ray
6 episodes to discs 1 to 3 = 18 episodes
4 episodes on disc 4 + special features.

This math would distribute the content pretty equally across the discs. The following is all "approximated" and just speculation.

Now 30 GB for HD-DVD divided by 5 episodes = 6 GB per episode, meaning that disc 5 would have 12 GB used for episodes and 18 GB left for special features.

At that rate, the Blu-Ray discs would only be using 36 GB for discs 1 to 3, and disc 4 would have 24 GB of episodes and still have 26 GB left for the special features, even though they would only need 18 (if they use it all).

This would mean that a Blu-Ray disc could fit 8 episodes per disc, topping out at 48 GB capacity. That would mean that discs 1 and 2 could have 8 episodes each for 16 episodes, and disc 3 would have 6 episodes at 36 GB, leaving only 14 GB left for the special features, where HD-DVD has the capacity for 18 GB based on the previous math. Needing more than 14 GB, they would have no choice but to spread everything out over 4 discs.

So this gives us a few options:
1) The HD-DVDs are going to be jam-packed to the absolute limit, and the Blu-Ray discs will all have a lot of capacity unused. This would also mean that there are a TON of extra features, as they needed over 14 GB for them!
2) The Blu-Ray versions will have a higher bitrate for audio and/or video and use more space, hence needing 200 GB capacity over HD-DVDs 150 GB. (unlikely as the specs reveal identical VC1 encodes and Dolby Surround 640kbps tracks)
3) WB is for some reason wasting a ton of space on their discs when they could have gotten by with only 3.
4) The special features are spread across the discs instead of being on the last one like most shows, and make the discs uneven for space used, and don't burn to 3 discs as easily as I think they could. Even reducing the episodes to 7 on each disc would only get you 21 episodes on 3 discs, making 4 discs necessary. With 8 episodes on each disc, that would put you almost exactly at capacity (48/50 GB), leaving no room for, for instance, audio commentaries...hence it needs to be spread across 4 discs.
5) My math is wrong somehow.

My money is on option 1 or 4, but more than likely 4.

Ah, my favorite nightcap to make me tired...math! It's better than warm milk, trust me.

Last edited by pkremer; 07-04-2007 at 02:12 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:17 AM

Hmm they could put 7 episodes on discs 1-3 (BD50) and 1 episode and the extras on a BD25.

They could even do 8 episodes each on discs 1 & 2, 6 episodes on disc 3, and the extras by themselves on a BD25.

Although the extras on the Season 5 set were spread across the discs, so that may be the more likely scenerio.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.k. View Post
Hmm they could put 7 episodes on discs 1-3 (BD50) and 1 episode and the extras on a BD25.

They could even do 8 episodes each on discs 1 & 2, 6 episodes on disc 3, and the extras by themselves on a BD25.

Although the extras on the Season 5 set were spread across the discs, so that may be the more likely scenerio.
I agree those are possibilities, but the specs say (4) 50-GB discs.

I really believe in option 4...the special features are spread across the discs. With 8 episodes on a disc, there would be no room left for audio commentaries or features specific to those episodes on that disc. Since they can't get more than 7 on each disc, requiring 4 discs, they burn about evenly to all of them. I stick with my 6 episodes on discs 1 to 3, and 4 episodes on disc 4, and special features spread out between them.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:20 AM

Well, *I* for one appreciate this sort of thing. I hate having more discs then needed, it strikes me as being such a waste. Since it's TV episodes, I imagine each ep could be encoded seperately, and then combined into different disc configurations as needed without too much trouble.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinius_rex View Post
Well, *I* for one appreciate this sort of thing. I hate having more discs then needed, it strikes me as being such a waste. Since it's TV episodes, I imagine each ep could be encoded seperately, and then combined into different disc configurations as needed without too much trouble.
The whole point is that WB could fit all of this on to 3 BD50s if they wanted to, so why use 4?
Old 07-04-2007, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillythePuppet07 View Post
This is a worthless post. I promsie you most people could care less if it is on 4 or 5 discs. Maybe if it was on 4 and hd was on 15 it might be a issue. Otherwise it is really is just reaching for straws by blu.
who are you to decide what is and isn't worthless? no one is reaching for straws, you just decided to get defensive up front because of something your format of choice doesn't allow. i never said (nor did anyone say) this was a big win, but it is still news, and there are those who do appreciate having less discs.

the majority of people don't care? well it still benefits me no less. anyway, maybe keep your opinions to yourself next time.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkiller View Post
wow, big deal, but you know , i love warner, they have ... True HD for most of their movies
No they don't. Can you back up this claim please?
Old 07-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkiller View Post
wow, big deal, but you know , i love warner, they have 25 Exclusive movies on HD DVD, and True HD for most of their movies
Um, no they don't. Dolby Digital is on most of their movies, TrueHD is the minority.

This will change over the course of the next few quarters, but currently DD+ is their most commonly found audio track.

As for exclusives, Troy and Batman Begins will be out before the end of the year and they are gunning to get Matrix out with IME before Christmas too.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyh3dron View Post
The whole point is that WB could fit all of this on to 3 BD50s if they wanted to, so why use 4?
Come on! I went through all the trouble of explaining why it is on 4 discs! You could at least look at it...